Best Awning option.... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #61

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Post Pictures when you get it mounted please...............
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #62

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
will do.....should be here tommorow I think.....camping this weekend and tackling it monday or so. Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #63

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest M View Post
After wanting a trailer for a long time, I took the plunge and, much more thru good fortune than good management, became the owner of a 13 foot Scamp. Last summer my adventures began, and I now have two trips under my belt. I love it! I'd love it even more with an awning. What I can't find, and I'm sure I've probably missed it, is someone advising what would be the widest awning which would comfortably fit a 13 foot trailer like mine (i.e. along the length of the trailer). Any advice is most welcome. Thanks to anyone who can take the time to help me out.
Forrest M.
Scamp uses an 8ft awning with a 6ft reach on their 13s. We are well satisfied with that size on ours.
If you choose a bag awning 7ft wide is a nice size to handle and it worked well on our 1973 LoveBug.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #64

Registry
got the awning today but the rail wasnt in the bundle.....they shipped it in a long cardboard tube, so nothing happens to it in shippment...well packed just missing that. I'll call tommorow to get one from them. Either way wont be puting it on till it gets here.
BTW the end brackets that look like they'll work on my uhaul are made to glue on with the tape attached to em...was gonna glue anyway with windsheild urethane.
All in all theres some nice parts in there ...isnt a cheapy.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #65

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bruce, careful of gluing the end caps on. If these are the standard plastic pieces, UVs are going to eventually kill them and they'll crack badly. You may want to get them off at some point. Whatever method you choose to affix them to the awning, you may want to shoot them with some Fusion paint prior to mounting them.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #66

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bruce, careful of gluing the end caps on. If these are the standard plastic pieces, UVs are going to eventually kill them and they'll crack badly. You may want to get them off at some point. Whatever method you choose to affix them to the awning, you may want to shoot them with some Fusion paint prior to mounting them.
end brakets are aluminum....unpainted. they supply three types for different shapes
Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #67

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
end brakets are aluminum....unpainted. they supply three types for different shapes
Then you're good to go! And you'll post pictures too won't you?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #68

Registry
yes i will...neither end cap is perfect for the trailer shape....I may have my brother in law weld the right shaped piece to it ( though I know not everyone can have something like that done easily)...other option would be make a shaped part outta maybe delron or something that conforms to the shape of the camper.
One thing I didnt think of but now see is that with the awning the door wont be able to be swung all the way open and laid flat against the camper...probably hafta tie it or something.
Bruce
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #69

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If they're sending it truck freight it's going to be expensive. UPS and FedEx may be cheaper, but won't ship items that are packaged and 8 feet long. My A&E case awning was shipped from 13 miles away and cost me $60. Had I known it was coming from so close, I would have gone and picked it up!
Where did you get yours from?
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #70

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I hope it's not coming from beyond the U.S. border!
True story:
When I ordered my crank-up Carefree from Trillium Canada (when there WAS a Trillium Canada) it was "intercepted" by U.S. Customs (suspicious package?) and sent back to Trillium.
I got it a few weeks later, presumably after Team Trillium removed the rocket launcher they had so cunningly hidden in the tube.
WHEW!
Another good catch by our Department of Homeland Security !

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #71

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Scamp evidently changed the style of awning they are putting on now. It looks like it's a crank down. We have to order the parts to put ours back together after it turned itself inside out last summer. The new style would be nice but since ours is only a year old the parts would be definatley cheaper.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #72

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
I've got both the Carefree of Colorado and Trim-Line and I like the Carefree the best because it braces back to the camper instead of the poles needing to be staked down to the ground like the Trim Line does.I asked the guy I bought the Trim line from if the poles attached to the camper instead of needing staked and he said it did but once I got it I found out it does not. I bought it off E-bay and really couldn't return it because of how much freight would cost so now I'm stuck with it....
RANDY
Randy, I got a TrimLine awning last year and installed it on my Scamp 13. It came with the hardware to attach the legs back to the camper. I have the choice to set it up either way.

mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #73

I would really like to see the hardware that allows you to do that and a source to buy the hardware if you have that information...THANKS RANDY
Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #74

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop
I would really like to see the hardware that allows you to do that and a source to buy the hardware if you have that information...THANKS RANDY
The mounting hardware is the same as for the top -- ball and socket. The caps on the feet slide off and the ball ends are there. The sockets are exactly the same as for the top supports, they just mount upside down. It all came with my awning. I'll get a more detailed pic next time I take the awning out.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #75

Registry
Quote:
after many lazy days of stalling I stated tackiling the install of this sport awning today.
First the standoffs for the top(there are 3 types) arent even close to whats needed on a curved top like my uhaul. So we had to fab them up.
The rail we glued on the camper with windshield adhesive, the end brackets will slip in the awning rail and be glued also to the body. I'm trying to avoid drilling holes in the body.the legs will extend down to the standoff brackets on the frame , nothing special there just a few nuts welded to the frame to screw into.
took alot of careful measuring and figuring on the brackets but we have it licked now....I'll post pics soon of the bracket needed on a uhaul if using a simular type awning. Bruce
Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #76

Registry
not the best pics but you get the idea........short one is altered to make the bigger one
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0709.jpg   IMAG0710.jpg  

Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
The mounting hardware is the same as for the top -- ball and socket. The caps on the feet slide off and the ball ends are there. The sockets are exactly the same as for the top supports, they just mount upside down. It all came with my awning. I'll get a more detailed pic next time I take the awning out.

Yea mine came with those also the only problem I have with those is the smallest breeze wip up and your canopy will be laying over the top of your camper..the hardware on the Carefree with stood 45 mph winds in Kansas without a problem, as a matter of fact it was so windy I was scared to try taking it down by myself for fear I couldn't hold it so I waited til that night after the winds had calmed down..I'll try to get you a picture of how it works and post it soon..THANKS RANDY

Tags
awning