Best Awning option.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Best Awning option....

Hi folks,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about awnings, and I was wondering if folks have been the happiest with Carefree of Colorado, Trim-Line (Dometic), or Shademaster bag awning products. I love the colors offered by Carefree, but want something well made and approved of by fellow eggs owners.

It will be placed on a 1971 13' Boler.

Pics would be amazing if you are willing to share.

Thanks!

Kathy
khite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kathy, we have some pics of our Carefree but I don't know that they'd show anything that would help you.
Our vote goes to Carefree but note, there is about a foot difference in the width (front to bacl) of awning you can add to a Boler compared to a Trillium (like ours is) because of the slight difference in the curvature of the two bodys....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I am having the same thoughts,,Also would be interested in the Add a room option, if anyone has any insights.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's an almost identical discussion going on here under General Chat. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ngs-45087.html Maybe a moderator can merge these two discussions together...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
I've got both the Carefree of Colorado and Trim-Line and I like the Carefree the best because it braces back to the camper instead of the poles needing to be staked down to the ground like the Trim Line does.I asked the guy I bought the Trim line from if the poles attached to the camper instead of needing staked and he said it did but once I got it I found out it does not. I bought it off E-bay and really couldn't return it because of how much freight would cost so now I'm stuck with it....
RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by khite View Post
Hi folks,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about awnings, and I was wondering if folks have been the happiest with Carefree of Colorado, Trim-Line (Dometic), or Shademaster bag awning products. I love the colors offered by Carefree, but want something well made and approved of by fellow eggs owners.

It will be placed on a 1971 13' Boler.

Pics would be amazing if you are willing to share.

Thanks!

Kathy
Kathy:

Here is a picture of our Carefree awning on our trailer.

Ladybug at Deception Pass S.P. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Works fine. No complaints.

Brian
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have the Dometic but have serious Carefree envy!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Are there any concerns about the straight arms of the Carefree awning when folded to the curvaceous sides of a Boler?

Can they be bought at a size (6-7 feet) appropriate to the 13' Boler?

Has anyone actually installed one of these onto a 13' Boler or Scamp?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #9

Registry
Some friends have a 7footer on the side of their Boler (13ft.) and it (IMHO) doesn't look too appropriate.

Our Carefree's 'legs' collapse and fold up into the bag awning attached to the trailer body. Although the trailer has attachment points on the body, I/we prefer to have the legs extend straight down. This allows for more more 'clearance' when moving in and around the trailer. No need to be ducking under a metal bar, LOL!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
trailer9.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Are there any concerns about the straight arms of the Carefree awning when folded to the curvaceous sides of a Boler?

Can they be bought at a size (6-7 feet) appropriate to the 13' Boler?

Has anyone actually installed one of these onto a 13' Boler or Scamp?
Carefree has several curved profile legs (arms?) available for the Fiesta Awning, as they have been installed on Airstreams and Burros.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0465.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	33543

Name:	100_0162.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	33544

They have shorter leg sizes available, if that's what you mean in your second question. The legs on my Fiber Stream's Fiesta Awning are only 5' 4" when in the stored position.

Name:	100_0384.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	33545

If you mean length along the awning rail, I have seen an 8' (or was it 7'?) Fiesta Awning on an Airstream Caravel, because that is all the straight body there is to attach the rail to.

Name:	000_0567.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	33546

You might have to special order such a complicated design. Shorter than 8' might limit you to a bag style (not a Fiesta "Roll-up").
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Registry
Ironically, these photos illustrate my concern. Because of the Burro's vertically oriented clamshell construction, the sides are relatively straight (that is, 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground) much like the Fiberstream. The Caravel also has flat sides up to the curving roofline.

The Boler's walls have a none to subtle arc from top to bottom. The trailer's width measures approx 70" at the top and bottom, and expands to 77" at the center. Then add another 5/8" for the protruding belly band.

All of this would prevent the Carefree's straight legs from folding flat and flush to the trailer's side. In other words, the awning's legs must be equally curved to match the arc of the trailer walls in order to fold tightly.

Also, to look proper, the max width of the awning can be no more than 78". Perhaps Carefree can customize their sizes?

I'd love to hear from anyone with a 13" Boler or Scamp that has a Carefree installed.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans
Ironically, these photos illustrate my concern. Because of the Burro's vertically oriented clamshell construction, the sides are relatively straight (that is, 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground) much like the Fiberstream. The Caravel also has flat sides up to the curving roofline.

The Boler's walls have a none to subtle arc from top to bottom. The trailer's width measures approx 70" at the top and bottom, and expands to 77" at the center. Then add another 5/8" for the protruding belly band.

All of this would prevent the Carefree's straight legs from folding flat and flush to the trailer's side. In other words, the awning's legs must be equally curved to match the arc of the trailer walls in order to fold tightly.

Also, to look proper, the max width of the awning can be no more than 78". Perhaps Carefree can customize their sizes?

I'd love to hear from anyone with a 13" Boler or Scamp that has a Carefree installed.

It just now occurs to me that I may have been missing the boat....

Do the legs of the Carefree disengage from the body and fold into the "bag" when in transit?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
This might help with the awning hardware

Dometic Universal Hardware for 8500/9000 Awnings Hope this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Great subject...
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks, Ken. This is very useful. These diagrams do, however, imply that the arms remain affixed to the shell when in transit. Would you agree?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #16

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
I want to do something with my nearly worn-out 10 foot Sunburst awning.

Unfortunately, two Carefree dealers I called said the awnings no longer come in lengths shorter than 12 feet. I think I would rather not have the pole style. A&E is the only other option I am seeing, which I got quoted at around $1000 plus labor.

A new canvas for the Sunburst is about $350 plus labor, which is supposed to be about $200 or so. The problem is that the Sunburst is a pain to operate, sticks out more than I would like when stowed, and if anything breaks, I'm screwed, as Sunburst has been out of business so long it might be impossible to repair.

I wish there was some other option. Does anyone do without an awning? It seems like it would be a drag in harsh sun or rain.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #17

Yes the hardware is mounted to side of the unit. You could go with a box awning they work great ,but you will have to fabricate a bracket .I had one on my Surfside
Attached Thumbnails
018.JPG  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #18

Registry
Ken, just a thought in passing ....does this set up leak water between the awning and the body in a rainstorm???
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
Ken, just a thought in passing ....does this set up leak water between the awning and the body in a rainstorm???
You can't see it to well but there is a piece of aluminum sheet metal about 9 inches by 11feet that was glassed and sealed to the roof. No wind or rain could get by .

On my Bigfoot it will be A @ E awning 14 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
019.JPG  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #20

Registry
Nice setup thanks for sharing those pics.

Tags
awning