Best Awning option.... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #41

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
My vote hands down is the Carefree, I've got all 3 the Trimline, Shademaker, and Carefree and I must say the carefree is the best in my opion..Very well made and strong.....RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #42

Found several of these on E-bay at a GREAT price and they fasten back to the camper and this is "NOT" a bag awning.... was going to buy 2, a 8'er and a 9'er but I called them and they want more for shipping than they do for the AWNING they quoted $134.00 each for shipping!!!!! BOUT HAD'A STROKE!!!!!!!

Super Sport Awning 8.5FT Hardware Sierra Brown 5185520 | eBay
Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #43

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Paul

Nice closeups of the hardware etc.
Very artistic!
How about a long shot and description of what we're looking at in the above pictures?
What's it on? Is that a Trillium?
Is the awning a Carefree? a Trimline? a Dometic? A brand we haven't heard of?
Or a homemade adaptation?

Always learning,

Francesca
Francesca, sorry I didn't have the time to explain yesterday.
That's a Shademaker 8', my wife & I installed it. It's on our 1971 Trillium. I took a lot of picts as I was unsure when I bought it as to the location & I didn't see too many so I have taken a lot of picts of it incase anyone has any questions. On my installation the door is approx 2-3 below the awning so I have no need of a pole to hold the awning high (I bought 1 just incase). So in closing if anyone has any questions, my 2 cents or more picts all you have to do is email me.

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #44

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Found several of these on E-bay at a GREAT price and they fasten back to the camper and this is "NOT" a bag awning.... was going to buy 2, a 8'er and a 9'er but I called them and they want more for shipping than they do for the AWNING they quoted $134.00 each for shipping!!!!! BOUT HAD'A STROKE!!!!!!!

Super Sport Awning 8.5FT Hardware Sierra Brown 5185520 | eBay
I wonder which size would fit my uhaul 13?...that thing rolls up right? spring loaded?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I wonder which size would fit my uhaul 13?...that thing rolls up right? spring loaded?

Yes, it says it is spring loaded..You can click on the option to see all items from this seller then select RV items and you will see they offer 7', 7 1/2', 8', 8 1/2' and 9' awnings a good selection..I tried to find the specifications on this type awning on the web but had no luck.. I wanted to see just how it fastened to the sides and roof, even sent the seller a e-mail asking for more information and pictures but all I got was the same picture thats on e-bay and a note saying thats all they had..Really looks like a great awning and I like the way it sets up but just can't force myself pay more for shipping than I pay for the item...
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Really looks like a great awning and I like the way it sets up but just can't force myself pay more for shipping than I pay for the item...
Randy, if the price plus shipping is a good deal, don't get hung up on the shipping cost. Lots of sellers on Ebay low ball the price and make it up with shipping. I think they do that because the commission they pay to Ebay is based on the price and not the shipping. I recently purchased an item for $3.60 with $5.50 shipping and another item for $1.81 with $2.60 shipping. The total cost was still a good deal.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #47

What gets me is I called them and they had to check on the shipping cost and then call me back, and with all the others on e-bay the A&E's, Shademaker's and all being shipped for $28 to $35 bucks they try to tell me that $134.00 is the cheapest rate they could find so someone has got to be lying..Now if they had said Oh we charge a more expenisive rate to make up on the cost that might be different but I just can't stand it when someone lies to me...............
Old 04-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #48

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If they're sending it truck freight it's going to be expensive. UPS and FedEx may be cheaper, but won't ship items that are packaged and 8 feet long. My A&E case awning was shipped from 13 miles away and cost me $60. Had I known it was coming from so close, I would have gone and picked it up!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #49

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
What gets me is I called them and they had to check on the shipping cost and then call me back, and with all the others on e-bay the A&E's, Shademaker's and all being shipped for $28 to $35 bucks they try to tell me that $134.00 is the cheapest rate they could find so someone has got to be lying..Now if they had said Oh we charge a more expenisive rate to make up on the cost that might be different but I just can't stand it when someone lies to me...............
I hear you, Randy
It isn't the cost so much as the deceit.
You got poked with the HANDLING part of "shipping and handling", a favorite way for long-distance merchants to raise a price without raising the "price".
It's just like the "we'll throw in a second one FREE! All you pay is shipping and handling! " schtick on TV.
Like putting that second must-have/ non-stick/ space age/indestructible/baldness curing potholder in the box raises the cost...
It isn't the merchandise that's getting "handled"- it's US.
I'm like you- I resent being presumed to be an idiot.
I won't buy anything from merchants who use this marketing tool.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #50

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 13 ft
After wanting a trailer for a long time, I took the plunge and, much more thru good fortune than good management, became the owner of a 13 foot Scamp. Last summer my adventures began, and I now have two trips under my belt. I love it! I'd love it even more with an awning. What I can't find, and I'm sure I've probably missed it, is someone advising what would be the widest awning which would comfortably fit a 13 foot trailer like mine (i.e. along the length of the trailer). Any advice is most welcome. Thanks to anyone who can take the time to help me out.
Forrest M.
Forrest M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Reading through this entire thread will teach you a lot.

But what's important for YOU to remember is that your 13' Scamp cannot comfortably handle an awning of ANY kind wider than 84".

If your trailer has come equipped with a pre-installed awning rail, then obviously the width of that rail determines the dimension of your awning.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #52

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 13 ft
Thanks Robert -
Sorry for the delay in getting back. I now have a place to start from as I browse the options available. An awning will certainly make things more comfortable for my trips this summer. Thanks again
Forrest M
Forrest M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #53

Registry
I talked to these people and bought a 7 footer for my uhaul...if it doesnt fit okay(it should) i'll just shelve it at this price...I'm picking mine up though when in pa , probably this weekend. They offer local pickup on the ebay sale dont they?
also I think the size of the carton is probably whats driving the shipping cost up. Its oversize and thats always costly.........Bruce
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I talked to these people and bought a 7 footer for my uhaul...if it doesnt fit okay(it should) i'll just shelve it at this price...I'm picking mine up though when in pa , probably this weekend. They offer local pickup on the ebay sale dont they?
also I think the size of the carton is probably whats driving the shipping cost up. Its oversize and thats always costly.........Bruce

Then tell me this.... why is it the people on e-bay selling the A&E , Trimline, and other brands only charge between $28 and $45..I've bought both types the Carefree (But not from these jokers) and the Trimline both come in about the same size box and both were reasonable on their shipping...Therefore I don't believe it cost that much to ship they quoted me $134.00 I think it is a scam to get more money..And I refuse to be done that way so I bought a 9' Trimline for $139.99 with $26.60 shipping... not what I wanted because the poles don't fasten back to the camper but has to be staked to the ground but at least I didn't get TOOK!!!! Just like the LED replacement bulbs on E-bay I found some that would replace the 921 bulb in my light fixtures in my camper..They were buy it now for $7.99 each but the idot wanted $9.00 shipping and wanted $9.00 shipping on everyone single one you bought even though they all would be in the same box when you get them, now that is just WRONG!!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Maybe the $134 is real and the $28 to $35 costs are actually lies. If someone is shipping an 8ft plus package truck freight, $28 to $35 seems more unrealistic than $134 does. Try calling a truck freight shipper and ask how much they would charge, you may find that $134 is actually a good deal. It is also possible that a large retailer has worked out a deal with a shipper to get a lower rate that a small retailer just can not get.

There are some people that will not pay large amounts for shipping regardless of the actual shipping costs, so some sellers subsidize the shipping cost by jacking up the item cost. Other sellers do the opposite where they subsidize the item price by jacking up the shipping cost. The two methods just target different consumers. I have even seen the same seller using both methods in different auctions with the "total" cost the same.

The bottom line is that the total cost delivered to you is what matters. My experience is that a majority of salesman/retail companies will lie to you if that will make the sale. If you refuse to deal with anyone that lies to you then you may not be able to own a car, a home, furniture, vote, etc or even deal with law enforcement.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #56

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You don't have to pay "The Stupid Tax" to get ahead.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #57

I just clicked on the link above for the awning to see what it said about shipping and to quote them it said "Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping)."

So the complaint about shipping seems to be that it costs to much when you ask them to do something that they already said they will not do.

This issue is only with the awnings 8 ft and larger, the ones smaller than 8 ft cost $35 for shipping.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #58

Registry
they told me the box was oversized when I asked....I'll know when i pick it up. If it is youre not getting it shipped for anywhere near $35.
also, if they told you they shipping costs up front and you either chose to ship or dont how do you feel they're attempting to rip you off? If you dont like the price dont buy...whats the problem?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #59

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've got a 6'er marked on E bay It went from just under $200.00 now $221.00 but still has FREE shipping.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #60

Registry
the awning will be here thursday....they shipped it for $35 because it's under 8ft boxed, saving me a detour in pa to go after it(and I couldnt have for $35 anyway).
So, the shipping woes some have come from that, the oversize box. They're really nice to talk to and return all calls promptly.
That said the sport awning is discontinued by carefree, but the said they could probably get a few from their own supplier and that the awnings were selling very fast. The brackets shown on ebay for curved bottom campers are "L" brackets and probably generic and not needed. If they are we'll make a conforming block instead to fit the bottom attachments. Maybe outta delron or something I can glue on with windshield urethane. Thats also how we're gonna try attaching the top and not drill holes in the uhaul. If it doesnt wanna fit or work I'll just shove it in the shed......if it does and works well? I'm ordering a spare. Bruce

Tags
awning