Best furnace? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Best furnace?

I bought my Scamp with no furnace because of the complaints about the noise and smell of the cheap Suburban furnace that Scamp uses. My Wave 3 catalytic heater has been OK but I will not sleep with it on. I really want to extend my camping season, so now I want to put a vented furnace in the camper this winter and I am looking for something better than the cheap Suburban NT-16SE Furnace that Scamp would have sold me.

I want something that is easy on the battery (under two amps). Also, I think the 16k BTU of the Suburban is probably a bit too much heat (I don’t plan to be out in sub-20 degree Fahrenheit weather). I think that 6-12,000 BTUs is plenty and would result in less frequent cycling.

Option one is a ProPex furnace. I have done a lot of research on the SH2211 (6,500 BTU. 1.7 amps). I am sure I would be very happy with it but the installation is proving to be more difficult than I am comfortable with. The reasons are quite involved so let me just say that it is still on my list but I am leaning toward the traditional style of RV furnace.

Option two is the supposedly quieter version of the furnace that Scamp uses, the Suburban NT-16SEQ Furnace. I’m not sure I would be happy with it but I have not seen one in person.

Option three is the Atwood 8012-II (7900 series). This looks like a winner. 12,000 BTUs, 1.8 amp draw, a quieter squirrel cage blower and an easy installation. Nearly perfect except that apparently it has been discontinued and the replacements draw 3.4 amps! (Dear Atwood, I’m trying to extend my off-grid time, not shorten it!)

So finding the best furnace for a small fiberglass trailer is proving to be more difficult than I expected. Most of the furnaces made seem to be for bigger rigs, or they are entry level models that leave much to be desired.

So what is the best furnace for a 16 foot Scamp? Is it one of the above or did I miss a better option? I’m open to any other suggestions (except for using a cube heater when on shore power.. that’s a given).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
What is wrong with Suburban NT-16SE Furnace ?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
What is wrong with Suburban NT-16SE Furnace ?
https://www.google.com/webhp?q=Subur...+Furnace+noisy
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

SW Florida
I didn't know that the furnace in my Scamp is noisy. Damn, maybe I will not be able to sleep in the Scamp with the furnace on on my next trip...
Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
I didn't know that the furnace in my Scamp is noisy. Damn, maybe I will not be able to sleep in the Scamp with the furnace on on my next trip...
Then should I conclude that you believe that the Suburban NT-16SE Furnace is the best available option?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You can pick up a new NT 16SEQ from Amazon for just over $350. It is the same size as the NT 16SE just a quieter fan and motor, and it fits a Scamp. I did a little shopping for slide in campers this summer. The new slide in campers were using a furnace that was smaller than the Atwood or Suburban you mentioned. I meant to research it but gave up on slide in campers. There are two slide in camper dealers in NC. One in Apex the other about 30 miles north off of I-85. If you are close to either you might want to go by and check them out. Sorry I don't have any more details but I have not seen the furnace on line.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
... The new slide in campers were using a furnace that was smaller than the Atwood or Suburban you mentioned.... There are two slide in camper dealers in NC. One in Apex ..
Thanks for the lead.. is it Apex, NC New and Used RV Dealer – D&H RV Center ? I can call them.

Looking through their online ads, I only seem a generic reference to a 30,000 BTU furnace.. thats sounds crazy for a little truck camper!

It does seem like there should be better options, or that Atwood should not have canned the 8012.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #8

SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Then should I conclude that you believe that the Suburban NT-16SE Furnace is the best available option?
The term "Noisy" is very subjective. I'm married, all my life is noisy
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
It does seem like there should be better options, or that Atwood should not have canned the 8012.
Not in the market, so I wasn't paying that much attention, but I think there was a thread on the new Atwood furnace on the Escape Forum. I think your concerns are for naught, but best you search the thread yourself.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
D&H is the dealer in Apex. The other dealer is a bigfoot dealer. I looked again on line but did not see the furnace I saw in the slide in campers.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I installed the atwood II in my Scamp 13. It works well it has noise an you get use to it. I would buy it again knowing what i know. It works well at 9000 feet elevation but dont use the mechanical thermostat and use a digital thermostat.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=sokhapkin;611888] What is wrong with the
suburban-nt-16se-furnace ? QUOTE

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Quote:
What is wrong with the suburban-nt-16se-furnace ?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
While there may be nothing wrong with it, I am sure it is not the best option and I will not be buying one, so in this thread we can discontinue any discussion of the base 16SE model. The newer version (16SEQ) is still a possibility however.

I am also wondering if, with the Atwood side vent option, would it be worth the effort to add ducting that goes through the bottom front of the cabinet to the floor level. I think this may make it quieter and also improve heat distribution somewhat.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Just a heads up folks, you can change out the fan blades in the NE12se, 16se to the new fans from the 16seq. Lowers the noise level quite a bit. If you want it even lower then change the motor or use a voltage regulator or PWM to slow the old motor down a bit. The new blades more a lot more air. The 2 blades are cheap under $15 for the 2

Here is my write up without pictures, (sorry the one with pics is too large to attach) PM me for a copy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban NE12SE Fan swap.pdf (178.1 KB, 30 views)
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Still hoping some company will introduce a gravity furnace with no electrical demand, no noise and no fan. Had one 40 years ago and loved it in my first camper. Nice even heat, no noise and convection exhaust to the outside.

Many direct vent household heaters have the similar features and use the same principles. Why not in RV's?

Can't quite face the fumes and moisture of the catalytic heaters.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Still hoping some company will introduce a gravity furnace with no electrical demand, no noise and no fan. Had one 40 years ago and loved it in my first camper. Nice even heat, no noise and convection exhaust to the outside.
I have been on a similar quest for a while myself, and came across this one recently...
BISMAR

Not sure about availability and haven't read about any RV install yet, but perhaps worth inquiring about.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Just a heads up folks, you can change out the fan blades in the NE12se, 16se to the new fans from the 16seq. Lowers the noise level quite a bit. If you want it even lower then change the motor or use a voltage regulator or PWM to slow the old motor down a bit. The new blades more a lot more air. The 2 blades are cheap under $15 for the 2

Here is my write up without pictures, (sorry the one with pics is too large to attach) PM me for a copy.
Note that if the motor runs too slowly, there won't be enough air pressure to close the sail switch, which controls the gas valve. This would become even more of a problem as the battery voltage falls while boondocking.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
a good spot....

if a guy had a good and convenient spot to mount this unit in an RV it would be a real winner in my book....heat AND a nice flame to look at....
Attached Thumbnails
newport.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #19

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
"Option one is a ProPex furnace. I have done a lot of research on the SH2211 (6,500 BTU. 1.7 amps). I am sure I would be very happy with it but the installation is proving to be more difficult than I am comfortable with. The reasons are quite involved so let me just say that it is still on my list but I am leaning toward the traditional style of RV furnace."
I am just curious about the difficulty of the Propex installation. This was my first choice, if I decided that I really do need a furnace. Is it possible to briefly describe the problems as you see them?
Thanks.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #20

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I am extremely happy with my Propex furnace. Super quite, very efficient and you can install it virtually anywhere in the trailer with the supplied ducting. The install is not difficult at all. In fact it is very simple with a minimum of tools. I did get Joe at Trillium Outback to install the LP line but other than that I did everything myself with no problem. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75442

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace