Best Jacks to use with 19 ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Scamp 19ft 5th wheel
Colorado
Registry
Question Best Jacks to use with 19 ft Scamp

We live in the Denver area and love our 2008 19 ft 5th wheel Scamp---have had it one year. I still have problems getting the trailer so it does not rock and roll when we walk around on the inside. The drop-down jacks in back are not the best. I have resorted to using a hydraulic floor jack---but would like to ask if anyone has found a better way to stabilize these trailers.
Thanks for any help: Jerry
Jerry in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #2

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've got a set of cheap HF trailer screw jacks that I use most of the time. when I'm not moving for over a week or 2.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The single-leg screw jacks which install across the trailer frame are compact, easy to use, permanently mounted, and add stability side-to-side, not just up-and-down.

Examples:
BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jack
Camco Cross-Frame Stabilizing Jacks

I placed mine (the BAL units) not far behind the wheels of our Boler 1700 - not at the very back - so that they keep the trailer from moving up and down on the suspension.

These jacks can be placed angled instead (rather than straight across) to give better front-to-back stability as well - that's how I'll do them at the front corners if I ever add them.

The Scamp uses telescoping landing gear at the front, just like most fifth-wheel trailers including my large non-moulded 5th wheel trailer. I would consider changing those to the single-leg style (but in a leveling jack, not just a stabilizing type) if I had to replace them, because they don't add any lateral stability - it's like supporting the trailer on stilts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I carry 4 6"x6" blocks and several pieces of 2X boards. The higher the wood blocks are and the less you extend the landing gear and stablizers the more stable the camper will be. Some make X braces for the landing gear and stablizers. I go with the low tech method of stablization. The lifted 5ers are a little more shakey than the standard height trailers.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If you want to brace the landing gear legs - which would likely help reduce the wiggles - there are commercial products for this purpose.
Example: BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp