Best location for exhaust and supply? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Best location for exhaust and supply?

I bought a ClimateRight 5000 and am needing to finish the install in my 1982 13 foot Scamp before Friday. It is set up with the bed permanently in the back and bunks permanently in the front. I've already decided to go through the fiberglass and have purchased the necessary fittings, so not looking to get talked out of that.

Here's my question: Where are the most ideal locations for the 3" supply and the 3" return?

Need to take in sleeping locations, as I don't want air blowing directly on any of us. Want to make sure they're fall enough apart. Unsure of the importance of vertical placement of each.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Where are the most ideal locations for the 3" supply and the 3" return?

Need to take in sleeping locations, as I don't want air blowing directly on any of us. Want to make sure they're fall enough apart. Unsure of the importance of vertical placement of each.
From CR support: " The duct hoses can be extended to approximately 4 feet in length. This would be the recommended distance that they can be run without affecting the unit's efficiency. The location of the holes into the camper is really a personal preference however we do recommend that the return hose is higher on the wall than the intake hose. They must be at least 12 inches apart as well. "
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
...Unsure of the importance of vertical placement of each...
I suspect the cool-air return needs to be above the warm-air intake to provide proper circulation and mixing of the cabin air, since cool air sinks. Otherwise you may end up with cold feet and a hot head.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I suspect the cool-air return needs to be above the warm-air intake to provide proper circulation and mixing of the cabin air, since cool air sinks. Otherwise you may end up with cold feet and a hot head.
CR says the opposite. It makes sense. Warm air rises, is pulled in at top vent while cooled air flows in below. I would place them as far apart as possible and possible add a small fan to blow the cool air into the space.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
From CR support: "...we do recommend that the return hose is higher on the wall than the intake hose. They must be at least 12 inches apart as well. "
Hmmm… I assumed "intake" meant the hose that draws air from the cabin into the cooling unit and the "return" meant the hose carrying cooled air back to the cabin.

That made sense in my mind because by blowing out the cold air high, where it does not want to be, you will get natural convection and mixing of warmer and cooler air as they attempt to swap places.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote