Bigfoot 17 AC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #21

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
Holy Impatience on My Part Batman!!!!

I just blew holes in all over the place for it! Lmao. Right out the side of the shell and all. My unit is probably about 6 years old, I'll look it up. Thank you so much for the heads-up!!!

If you all want to see how I've made provision for the exhaust, and for relieving the negative pressure (vents in the floor below it), you can stop by my build thread below.

I'll go run the check on this fuse issue.. never a dull moment is there?
I'm back. Yep, glad I didn't throw out those plugs I just drilled out of my egg. My air conditioner is subject to the recall.

I have gotten half a decade out of it already (apparently luckily!) So I'm not going to have it repaired. I'm going to cut the cord out of it and junk it.

Which brings me to the opportunity side of the crisis equals opportunity equation. These units are also available now with a two tube set up so that it's pulling air from the outside through one tube and exhausting it out the other tube so there's no negative pressure created inside the cabin. I think I'll look into one of those and hopefully the exhaust vent will be usable so I don't have to worry about the side of my shell (patching holes in the foor are easy).

If our maker is willing... I'll be back.

THANK YOU SHARON FOR LITERALLY SAVING LIVES
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
LG AC

Sorry I was too late to prevent holes...but... they will repair it free...if it is still working fine, you can request that they send you a box, you put it in per their directions, call Fedex, they come get it, it goes to repair facility, they repair it, ship it back - all free of charge. You need to call the number provided on the website, tell them you need a box, and go from there. Take a pic of the labels on the AC showing the model num, serial no, etc, and I also took one showing the whole thing - so if it came back damaged I could prove it was not when it left my house. It only took about little over 1 week for the whole process, once I figured that was the way to go. Went through 3 appt. no shows, etc, 8-9 months of bs from a bunch of people from India etc, before I finally did this. If you decide to do it, go ahead and stick it in the camper and try it out, if it works well, I’d go ahead and do it. I still have mine and plan on keeping it to use in a separate studio I have. There are many who are like you and I that have never had a problem with the AC, and are still using it after repair. I personally would love to know how well it works in the camper, before you trash it! I used mine in a large popup camper, at the beach, and it worked much better than I thought it would, so might work fine in our little campers...
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #23

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
It Lives!!!!!!

I've done it!

The portable AC is installed inside the Egg and it works GREAT.

The unit I got is an SPT and it has similar dimensions to the recalled LG. It's a foot wide, a foot deep and 30 tall.

The hose is 5 inches in diameter. I did not have floor access for the exhaust vent due to a frame rail so I had to go out the side.

It can run as a heater too, but only down to 45 degrees ambient so not a mid Winter solution for that.

A link to my build thread is in my signature below. On page 5 I have posted a description of the install and a bunch of pictures.

I have never had AC in a camper before, I can't wait for my gal to enjoy this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS IDEA!!!!
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Please share guys!! I took the 100 lb. Rooftop AC off my Bigfoot B19 and want to go with a portable that has a permanent vent out the bottom or back side. There's plenty of room for doing so, but I hadn't seen it done yet by anyone else, so would sure appreciate being in this loop!! I've even seen some roll around portables with their own heat strip. I have a separate and newer propane furnace but it's nice to have the heat strip option too. At $150-350, they are such a better deal than the rooftop AC units, are much lighter weight and from what I've read so far, are much quieter, more efficient and draw less amperage.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #25

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Following...
Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
taking off the beast

my scamper 13f has a 13,500 a/c in it really way too much. I don't like the weight but may be stuck as if I took it off lots of resealing to do.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot