Bigfoot 17 AC - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Bigfoot
New Mexico
Registry
Bigfoot 17 AC

Input please....I am "slightly" considering the purchase of a 17 ft Bigfoot trailer..mid 90's. It all looks great except there is no AC. Living in the Southwest that would almost be a non starter.

However, in the past I have installed roof-mounted AC on an Argosy and an Airstream. The main concern is that they were pre-wired to accept an AC.

Does anybody know anything about Bigfoot or has anyone undertaken this?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
It's getting serious!

Others will post with better info, but I definitely remember some people saying their Bigfoot was wired for AC. Might depend on the year. Mine appears not to be.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
seems I have tented in the Southwest never saw a need for a/c after say 9pm! I must be hardee!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #4

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Adding a circuit for the ac might not be all that daunting. I'd check out how the Bigfoot provides support for the roof for the weight. Whether and where to place the weight of the unit and cut the hole will determine feasibility. If feasible, that placement will then determine where to send the wire. Running a wire is not that difficult, especially if you are willing to live with the look of a surface mounted conduit (search term "wiremold') in the event an internal route is not handy.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
My Bigfoot 17CB has factory AC and there does not appear that the roof has any extra support. If you have a CB model, you should be able to remove the trim around the bathroom roof vent and fish a wire between the shower surround and the outside wall of the trailer up into the ceiling. From there the wire can be routed thru the foam insulation. The RB model would be different so might be more complicated.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I added air to my 1991 17 Foot a few years ago.
I put a PolarCub 9200 BTU in it sits where the vent use to be, there have been no issues with the support in the roof, the only thing that I had to do was upgrade my electrical as the air conditioner needed its own 20 amp breaker.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Get this picture someone added a 13,500 a/c to our 13f Scamp is this past silly? Plus we will never turn it on too late now and all that extra weight to haul around!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #8

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Bigfoot trailers seem to have better roof support than other fiberglass trailers. At least the 90s+ ones. I’ve spent a good amount of time on the roof of mine.

I think appletrees has experience working on trailers, and is just feeling out how easy a Bigfoot will be to modify to fit his needs.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #9

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
mid nineties....

I have no knowledge about BF "pre-wiring" for AC...or not.

What I do know is that in the mid nineties BF used a 20A (red) breaker for their AC installs (mine had AC...removed by a PO)....so if you find an unused red breaker in yours chances are it is "pre-wired" and would have included a run of wire to the roof buried in the wall/insulation (that last bit is a pure guess on my part)

G or CB model ? Year is good info too

good luck
Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

New Mexico
Registry
it is a '94, CB

This is seeming like a not so great idea the more I think about it. If there were a vent fan in the center of the roof and if it went to at least a 20Amp breaker and if the wire were heavy enough, it might work. In the Airstream and the Argosy that I installed roof mount ACs in the wire was easily heavy enough and the opening for a vent fan and an AC is the same,,maybe a little trimming Then you need to block between interior shell and exterior shell because roof mount ACs require that you "clamp" them in place in the hole.

That seems like a whole lot of if's and I can't imagine that if the Bigfoot is preset for a roof AC, that there isn't someone out there who would say "Oh yeah, I did that!!!"

I think I am going to look at a portable, roll around 110 unit like they sell at the Big Box Store that uses an exhaust vent hose and draws/recycles/ recirculates air from the interior much like a car AC does.

Not a perfect solution but one I may research.

If anyone has done this I would lover to hear about it......don't need AC often but when you need it..........!

Greg
Old 10-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

OH
I used a roll around AC unit in my long long trailer So it would be plenty for one of these little eggs.

In that rig I kept it under one of the dinette seats and just whipped it out as needed. In Ohio, That was not often. If a good rain storm came through in a brutally hot day though, causing us to lower the jealousy windows, the humidity would be oppressive and boy was I glad to have it.

Two notes:

One. There is an exhaust tube for hot air, like a clothes dryer, and that needs to pointed out a window. I cut a blue foam camping mat to fit the window space (with a hole for the tube) and I kept a roll of wide, non-stick painters tape in the box with it to temporarily hold it to the window without leaving sticky residue.

Two. They use the condensed water to help cool so there is no draining needed. However, there is a drip pan in the bottom of the unit that collects the water for recirculation.. if the unit is not level, that will drain out the side at the bottom instead of into the drip pan. I kept some rubber furniture leg cups in the box with it so I could stack those under as needed to level it.

They are very convenient, not terribly heavy, and work great in small areas like one of these eggs.

Plus, no wiring, no cutting, and just leave it in the garage unless you need it for a trip. You might even just throw it in the tow vehicle to bring with if there is more space there.

I still have mine and may use it now and again in the egg. We'll see.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #12

New Mexico
Registry
Buggeee
Thanks for the reply. What you say is exactly what my gut instinct was sayin.

One question, I wonder if I was satisfied with the system and the performance, if I could install a permanent PVC vent through the floor in a hidden spot to connect the hot air vent hose through?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #13

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apltrez View Post
Buggeee
Thanks for the reply. What you say is exactly what my gut instinct was sayin.

One question, I wonder if I was satisfied with the system and the performance, if I could install a permanent PVC vent through the floor in a hidden spot to connect the hot air vent hose through?

Oooooo what a great idea. Where's my hole saw? I'm going to map that out in mine but we should do a little research before we blow holes in our floors. We could fit the hole with a PVC cap... Or glass in a PVC threaded end to take a threaded plug. Now you've got the hamster wheels running up there. Excellent!!! Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #14

New Mexico
Registry
Buggeee,
Yep that's what I was thinking, the other possibility was to adapt a sewer outlet that has those nice bayonet caps for the outside and size the inside for the exhaust hose and find a rubber cap that would snap on.

will keep you in the loop

Tags
bigfoot