Bigfoot 17 owners, what stabilizer jacks do you use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Bigfoot 17 owners, what stabilizer jacks do you use?

I need to buy stabilizer jacks for our 88 Bigfoot 17. I was all set on buying the Bal 23026 light trailer stabilizers, but it looks like I'll have to weld a spacer onto a crossmember to make it flush with the main frame. I like that because they are light weight. A local store has scissor jacks on sale. They are 16.5lbs a piece. Seem really heavy to me. What are you Bigfoot owners using?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Mine came with two scissor jacks. I'd probably believe they're that heavy each...

They aren't my favorite choice, but they're free. I'll be looking to upgrade at some point though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Mine has 2 swing down Atwood jacks that are welded to the rear bumper support beam. They appear to be original. They work fine. I use 2 foreign auto jacks under the front corner frame when more stability is needed. These ride in the tow vehicle.

Stabilizer Jack 1000 lbs Trailer Jack | etrailer.com
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
You need to consider where you plan to take the trailer. I had been using those cheap cast aluminum screw-type jack stands then decided to go with the BAL stabilizers. But before I went to the trouble of welding them on I realized that my bi-annual trips over the Alcan were destroying everything from the frame down on every trip. I figured the permanently attached stabilizers would just become a casualty of the harsh conditions and become a maintenance item where the jack stands are most definitely not.

So right up until I sold the trailer last year, after thousands of miles and many, many campsites, I used those crummy but effective screw-type jack stands. The beauty of them is that you stash them in a compartment when not in use so they never get abused by spraying gravel and such.

As always, YMMV.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Michael, Check out my post (#12) on this thread - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ack-71851.html -
I added the BAL stabilizer jacks to my Casita 17SD last year. I had to devise a way to 'drop' the inner end of the jacks to bottom frame level so I used a couple of pieces of steel angle bolted to the jacks & a portion of the frame. Worked find & still working. I 'ran' a line from bottom of the tires to bottom of the rear bumper to insure the BAL jacks weren't 'hanging' any lower than anything else in that area... You might be able to do something similar with your Bigfoot?
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Do any of you know where the mounting location holes on the rear of the Bal 026's? Like how far from the main frame 2 bolt position. I just want to see if I can make it work with the Bigfoot frame layout.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Mine came with BAL telescopic jacks
Deluxe Telescopic All-Steel Stabilizer Jacks 26 Inch BAL 30930
front and back.
When I'm alone I usually don't bother lowering them. That's been true on all my trailers.

Walt
Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Here's a couple of pix of one of my extra BAL stabilizer jacks, with a tape measure stretched out on top of the folded jack. The folded jack is approx 20" long including the round 'sand' pad. Without the sand pad length is approx 17-18". Distance from the single mounting hole at the 'inner' end of the jack, to the 2 mounting holes at the 'outer' end is about 16" center to center, give or take a quarter inch... Pretty sure mine are model #23025 (17") jacks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1756.jpg   IMG_1386 - Copy.JPG  

IMG_1387 - Copy.JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

Thanks guys, that's a huge help. We have 2 young kids and a dog, so I think we'll be stabilizing. I'll let you know how I make out.

Tags
bigfoot