BigFoot 25RQ what mods have you made? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
BigFoot 25RQ what mods have you made?

Or what mods have you made on whatever model BF you have. Starting the following mods on my 25RQ:

1. Installing a Blue Ox Sway Pro. This requires cutting into the fiberglass cowling on the front, on both sides. I just pulled the TT home from Atlanta to Nashville, in heavy rain and wind, up a 6% grade and down the other side, and had not one problem. I pull with a 2011 Tundra, 4x4, towing pkg, 5.7L engine. Using this same truck towing a 17' Casita I noticed a slight improvement in handling with an Andersen WDH, so I anticipate at least a bit of improvement using a WDH on the BF.

2. Found a screw loose. (at this point nothing else amiss!)

3. Putting a 7 pin protector on the A frame jack. May put a couple of carabiners on the jack to hold the emergency chains off the ground when parked.

4. Had a MicroAir Easy Start installed by the dealership. Probably should have done it myself.

5. Putting a door handle on the screen door.

6. Will soon install a vent cover over the Fan-Tastic fan. Maybe over the bathroom fan, unless I replace that with another Fan-tastic fan. Probably use the Fan-Tastic vent cover as opposed to the MaxxAir Vent cover. Not sure which is best at this point.

7. Noticed condensation in the back up lights and a outside corner light. Will take apart, dry, put dielectric grease in connections, encase in liquid gasket and reinstall.

8. a couple of paint chips need to be addressed.

9. Reinforce drawer fronts and corners with L brackets.

10. Will either paint or laminate plywood panels under the seats and bed. Probably will paint inside of most compartments. Don't really like the looks of raw wood. If not paint then stain and polyurethane.

Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Russ
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
We ordered ours in Jan....anticipate delivery in April....custom order:
1. 2 Fantastic Fans
2. Eliminated mirror in hallway
3. Eliminated extended bench seat on "drivers" side of dinette...added cabinet
4. Eliminated TV and bracket in bedroom
5. Increased size of skylight
6. Eliminated storage rack
7. Eliminated external "shower"
8. No solar or generator
9. Added cover for awning (when rolled up)
10. Moved plug from underside of front cabinet (above dinette) to the cabinet on the "drivers" side
11. Eliminated mattress duvet cover

The savings over the price tag at the local dealership for one "on the lot" and same length was astonishing.

As soon as I get the trailer, I'll remove the "wind down" stabilizers and have them powder coated....and...add fanmate vent covers to both fans.

Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
My BF is a 2019 25RQ, which we picked up Feb 19, 2019, from a dealer in Atlanta, GA.

Powder coating the stabilizers is an interesting idea. No sure where to go to have such a thing done here in Lebanon, TN, which is just east of Nashville about 30 miles. Is it expensive?

If I were to customs order one I think having a 25 twin bed model and a second fantastic fan would be about the only changes.

I am about ready to order and install a (Amazon) hardwired PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES 59016 30 Amp Hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector. I wonder if Grant might put one on for you?

I am coating the bottom corners/edges on each side of the entry door casing with clear water based polyurethane. I noticed on our Casita that these areas discolored and somehow may have gotten wet. although I don't recall any water penetration. Just a precaution on my part.

I checked and adjusted the brakes, which is easy to do, just get a brake adjustment tool.

I greased all the suspension zests, they all took grease. Used the same grease used to Lube the axles: The axles use a lithium based grease.

I checked all the screws under the trailer and found one about half way out. Used Blue Loctite and carefully screwed it back in.

You may want Grant to add a WDH to the trailer. I have cut my cargo box and installed a Blue Ox Sway pro. However, the trailer pulled great when I drove it home from Atlanta, GA to Nashville, TN, over a 5 mile grade of 6%, during a very heavy rain and strong winds. I drove 55 and 60 but once hit almost 80 because I forgot it was back there. I don't drive fast as a rule, not sure why that happened.

See if you can't get Grant to give you a bag of various size stainless steel Robertson screws, these are very hard to find in the US: Very superior fasteners. Also maybe a quart of Heng's sealant, also a superior product.

The screen door has one hydraulic arm at the bottom. I wonder if it might not be possible to put another at the top. I doubt that only one will hold the door open in a really strong wind.

You will really enjoy your new trailer. Happy Trails!
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot