Bigfoot Battery Upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Bigfoot Travel Trailer Battery upgrade:

The Upgrade Challenge:
<blockquote>• Increase battery capacity to 260 amp hours by installing two (2) Trojan 6 volt T-145 golf cart batteries. </blockquote>

Possible Solutions:

<blockquote>• Install batteries inside camper: The inside installation of batteries requires using valuable storage space, cutting ventilation holes and the purchase of expensive AGM batteries at a reduced amp hour rating over two wet cell golf cart batteries.

• Install optional plate behind 30 lb propane tanks: This would require the purchase of expensive AGM batteries or create difficulties in maintaining water levels in a traditional wet cell battery. This plate would also have to be mounted a few inches lower than the propane plate, lowering the clearance of trailer.

• Cut away factory propane and battery plates and start all over: This plan would require time in working out a better design and welding expense.
After I realized a better design was possible, I made the decision to start all over by removing the factory mounting plates, safety chain & ground lug. The safety chains will be reattached on the outside of the frame. </blockquote>

The disadvantages of my new design are:
<blockquote>
• The two 30lb tanks had to be given up for two 20 lbs tanks; however the 20 lb tanks are easier to handle and 40 lbs of propane is more than enough propane for our outings. When it's not enough propane, it's easy enough to remove the first empty tank and get it filled, or just put an extra 20lb tank in the truck. Giving up the 30 lbs tanks was the key to making this work. The 20 lb tanks are shorter and can be moved back enough to allow room for two batteries.

• Four hours of a welder's time and about 10 hours of my time. I had the welder do the minimum. I filed all the metal edges smooth, cleaned, primed and painted the new work.</blockquote>
The advantages are:
<blockquote>• An increase of battery capacity from 80 amp hours to 260 amp hours
• A better battery with the Trojan 6 volt deep cycle batteries
• Easily accessible
• Increased trailer clearance over original factory mounted plates</blockquote>
I made several mock ups using cardboard and wooden platforms to make sure everything would fit and more importantly, that the propane tanks could easily be removed after the shroud was installed. I took the cardboard template, propane holder and battery box to the welder to make sure there were no communication problems.

Dimensions of the battery & propane plate:
<blockquote>Front 12 ¾ inches Back 36 ½ inches Sides 27 ¾ inches
Drop 4 ¼ inches (This is measured from bottom of frame to bottom of plate)
Plate thickness is 1/8 inch</blockquote>
Note: The drop is critical. Any less than 4 inches and it won't be possible to get propane cylinders out. At 4¼ inches, I have to remove the lid to the battery box (a 10 second job). Any more than a 4½ inch drop is just reducing the trailer to ground clearance.

Dimensions of battery box:
<blockquote>Outside 15¼w x 11d x 12¾h inches
Inside 14w x 10¼d x 12½h inches</blockquote>
Notes:
<blockquote>• An addition small front plate was installed flush with bottom of frame. It has a 2 inch rear lip. This makes a good place to toss the jack wheel (if you use a wheel, I don't), two 1 lb propane bottles, clips for equalizer or whatever.

• Holes were cut in the large bottom plate for straps that are used to secure battery box. In addition, a small lip was welded in the middle of bottom plate. Battery box fits between this lip and the frame.

• The battery box was purchased from the Trojan dealer. It is made for two Trojan 6 volt T105, T125 or T145 batteries. All three of these batteries have the same foot print. The T145 is taller and fits perfectly in the box. There was no manufactures name on the box, just a sticker that read Made in Canada. A very nice box that I highly recommend.

• A square channel was welded across the back of the plate for additional strength.

• The safety chains were moved to outside of the frame, with a better weld than the original. Be careful the outside location doesn't interfere with fiberglass shroud.

• The grounding bolt was cut off and a larger one installed in an optimum location for this new design.

• Like everything, it could be done better the second time. Overall though, I am very pleased. The batteries are very easy to maintain. Also, 20 lb tanks are easier to handle than 30 lb tanks. The older I get the more I will appreciate my switching to 20lb tanks.</blockquote>Shown below are the pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DS_BF_2_Battery_Upgrade_before_2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	18252
Original design

Name:	DS_BF_3_Battery_upgrade_primed.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	18246
New plate cleaned and primed

Name:	DS_BF_4_Battery_Upgrade_painted_top_view.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	18247
Painted and drying

Name:	DS_BF_5_Battery_Upgrade_Painted_side_view.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	18248
Side View

Name:	DS_BF_9a_Battery_Upgrade_Side_View.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	18249
Loaded up - Side View

Name:	DS_BF_8_Battery_Upgrade_After_2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	18245
Loaded up - Top View

Name:	DS_BF_10_Battery_Upgrade_with_Shroud.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	18250
Fiberglass Shroud in Place

Name:	DS_BF_12_Battery_Upgrade_Finished.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	18251
Finished
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
nice work, looks great
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It does look good. It looks like you have lots of height, and 30 lb bottles are the same size diameter as 20 lb (at least the ones I have are). Just curious as to why you could not use the 30 lb bottles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Giving up the 30 lbs tanks was the key to making this work. [b]The 20 lb tanks are shorter and can be moved back enough to allow room for two batteries.

[b]Note: The drop is critical. Any less than 4 inches and it won't be possible to get propane cylinders out. At 4¼ inches, I have to remove the lid to the battery box (a 10 second job). Any more than a 4½ inch drop is just reducing the trailer to ground clearance.
So the shorter tanks fit closer to the trailer due to the curve? No way it would all fit under the shroud with 30# tanks?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Oops, I kinda missed that.
Too busy looking at the pictures (still coulda seen it there)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Also, the Trojans weigh in at about 145 lbs for the pair, plus the added platform weight, minus the weight of the previous battery, so dropping 20 lbs of LP helps make up for that -- No point in carrying 60 lbs of LP if 40 is sufficient.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
Also, the Trojans weigh in at about 145 lbs for the pair, plus the added platform weight, minus the weight of the previous battery, so dropping 20 lbs of LP helps make up for that -- No point in carrying 60 lbs of LP if 40 is sufficient.
You are right about the weight of those two batteries (72 lbs each). So, I increased the battery weight by about 100 lbs and lost 20 plus lbs of propane. So, I am about 80 lbs heavier on the tongue. I should have at least listed this as a point and perhaps a disadvantage of this design. Since I am towing with a ¾ ton truck it wasn’t a disadvantage for me.

Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It may be an advantage for someone's rig that is already butt-heavy!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
I have the 25RQ bigfoot with the storage box in the front. I have moved the propane cylinders as far back as I think I can. If I went with the 20# cylinders would that give the room necessary to get the batteries in?
My trailer already has the plate the batteries and cylinders set on.
Gerry Ralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Nice job. This is how it should have looked from the factory.
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #11

Registry
Original post for 2009.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: Bigfoot 17'
British Columbia
Just did this upgrade on my Bigfoot 17. Thank you for the DIY, my battery tray was turned into Swiss cheese from the previous owners neglect of the battery, so I needed to replace it. I figured I might as well get the capacity of two 6v batteries while I was at it. Because I don't have the recessed panel (for the propane bottles) on the front of my 17'er I had to mount the tray a little lower and on an angle to get my tanks to fit. The back end (closest to the trailer) had a 4-3/4" drop, and the front has a 5" drop (both measurements are from the bottom of the tongue to the bottom of the tray)

Works well and looks great! Thanks again.

P.s. the battery box is from Century plastics, it's their dual 6V box. It's the only one that is small enough to make this job happen on the trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190403_192053.jpg   IMG_20190408_110241.jpg  

IMG_20190413_111530.jpg   MVIMG_20190413_111537.jpg  

Timwiltshire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bigfoot