Bigfoot controller problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Name: Colin
Trailer: 1981 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bigfoot controller problems

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I love it! I have a 1981 17.5 Bigfoot which I am restoring including new flooring, paint and cabinets which I hope to complete by June! I had to disconnect the controller to remove the kitchen cabinet and I grounded a live 12V to the frame of the controller box and the 12V circuit went dead. I checked the fuses and they were not blown but they were 30A instead of the recommended 15A! I hope I did not blow any transistors or the transformer! Does anybody out there have any electrical trouble shooting tips? I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but nothing, still dead! arghh! as if I didn't have enough to do to get it finished!!!
Colin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin77 View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I love it! I have a 1981 17.5 Bigfoot which I am restoring including new flooring, paint and cabinets which I hope to complete by June! I had to disconnect the controller to remove the kitchen cabinet and I grounded a live 12V to the frame of the controller box and the 12V circuit went dead. I checked the fuses and they were not blown but they were 30A instead of the recommended 15A! I hope I did not blow any transistors or the transformer! Does anybody out there have any electrical trouble shooting tips? I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but nothing, still dead! arghh! as if I didn't have enough to do to get it finished!!!
I owned a 83 model 17 the same problem happened to me. Under the propane cover is the battery and near the battery is a fuse, I found when it was blown nothing worked on my trailer. You might want to check for a fuse.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #3

Name: Colin
Trailer: 1981 Bigfoot
British Columbia
I dont think it could be that. There isnt any fuse by the battery only 2 on the controller box. And the battery wasnt even connected! I think it is an internal problem.
Colin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
You grounded a live 12V but the battery was not connected so the shore power was?
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
It is almost impossible to troubleshoot via internet. I would suggest using a simple probe to find out where you lost 12VDC. If you grounded 12V wire on the chassis I would think that the display panel should be OK. From the control panel wire bundles go to tanks sensors and DC panel. I would start with from the DC panel. Any automotive place should carry this type of probe. Circuit Tester

Good luck, George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot