Bigfoot Graphics Opinions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by klthomascpa View Post
Not necessarily the colors, but I was thinking something to this effect. But plain white is growing on me.

I am obviously not an artist and will not be using spraypaint
Box stock original isn't going to make one dime difference for resale, it's all in condition for 99.9% of people looking. MMMMM, the more I look at your example above the center line, the more I like the quirky attitude that comes across to me. Certainly would be an original one of a kind design.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Box stock original isn't going to make one dime difference for resale, it's all in condition for 99.9% of people looking. MMMMM, the more I look at your example above the center line, the more I like the quirky attitude that comes across to me. Certainly would be an original one of a kind design.
I really like this! One-of-one!!!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Thought I would show you mine
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #18

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot
Florida
That looks nice. Much better than the graphics mine had. Are those the original graphics?

I like the gold on the lower portions and will probably do something similar.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
I used to think about painting mine a solid gold color with automotive paint. I figured it was possible to paint a fiberglass Corvette body so why not a fiberglass trailer body. I researched it a little and found out it is very difficult to paint over gel coat and get it to look like anything. Doing it right would require removing all the windows and through the walls, roof, vents, doors, etc. Then with the Bigfoots there is that seam strip that joins the top half with the bottom half. I am not sure just how that comes apart.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
You just use a belt sander on the belly band.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #21

Name: JJ
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25RQ
Idaho
Quote:
Just purchased a BF 25R21RB. Inside is perfect. Exterior is somewhat of a mess. Half of the graphics have been removed and the other half are in bad shape so I am removing them. Gelcoat is mostly Ok but there is some ghosting where the decals were.

So starting with a blank canvas, I am looking for opinions on new graphics. When I'm done I am planning to do the zep finish.

I know keeping it original is preferred but I hate swooshes. I would like to keep it very simple (even retro) with some stripes but am open to ideas. I would even consider painting it or at least the bottom portion.

I am currently thinking of just getting maybe two rolls of vinyl striping in two colors. Maybe a 2" stripe and a 1" stripe and just wrap the trailer right above the belly band. Any thoughts on design or colors would be appreciated!

Thank you for the info!
I too am interested in refinishing my 25rq with Zep.

Have a couple of questions for you (and others) if I may:

1) will the Zep help to cover up the ghosting of the decals? If not, do you know a way to minimize or remove the ghosting all together?

2) do you know whether applying Zep will yellow the finish with age and sun?

Please keep us informed as to your success!
Thank you.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #22

Florida
I have read that it makes the ghosting less apparent. But I will let you know. I hope to do it in a week or so. I have some pretty serious ghosting and I will report the results back.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #23

Name: jack
Virginia
I prefer the clean look for the most part. My 2014 Bigfoot 17.5 was festooned with seven running Bigfoot logos, five Bigfoot names in several sizes, and enough swoopy curves to make a large fiver proud. I removed all swoops and the rest except for the name and logo on the tire cover. On the window gravel guard in front I removed the largest of the name and logo graphics and had an image installed, actually an image of the Veil Nebula from the Hubble Space Telescope. It's very pretty in the rear view driving down the road.

I'm with Donna: make it your own.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0008.jpg   DSC_0003.jpg  

DSC_0004.jpg  
Old 08-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I have read that it makes the ghosting less apparent. But I will let you know. I hope to do it in a week or so. I have some pretty serious ghosting and I will report the results back.
Zip will not hide ghosting.

Your best best is to try and polish out the ghosting using a 3M Marine compound specifically designed to remove the oxidizing caused by the sun due to lack of a protective wax on the trailer, it will also remove some of the discolouration on the trailer. The newer the trailer i.e. less than 15 years of age the more successful you will be at bringing the trailer back to its original shine.

If you go that route as many have then you may as well just use a good wax every year on your trailer once you have it all nicely polished up and shiny again.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #25

Florida
To make ghosting less apparent using the 3M system is the sanding step generally helpful or is compounding itself enough?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
To make ghosting less apparent using the 3M system is the sanding step generally helpful or is compounding itself enough?
It all depends on how bad it is.

It is always best to try using the less aggressive compound you can to do the job. The more aggressive the compound and if you sand the more gelcoat you risk removing. And the gelcoat is not all that thick.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:27 AM   #27

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Very interesting discussion! We have the same issue with our Silver Cloud. The stickers are faded or missing and the rock guard is worn through. We so love this new-to-us camper (We fit our son, his wife, and their 2 kids in it Friday night! What a change from the Uhaul!), that I hate that she looks like a sad, old dowager in campgrounds.
This weekend we are not taking her anywhere, so on tap is scrubbing the exterior and trying to shine her up a bit. Kevin does not yet want to put on Zep. What recommendations might you give?

CindyL
Old 08-15-2016, 06:03 AM   #28

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
To remove ghost decals on the glass fiber, here is the simplest method, a member advised me to use.
I found the same procedure on the following website, "Cruisers Forum"
I made a capture of the info:
Attached Thumbnails
Ghosts on fiberglass.JPG  

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot