Bigfoot Interior Reno Completed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
You did a beautiful job! I really like the bright light interior.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #16

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
. . . I replaced all the cupboard fronts as well as the cupboard bottoms and of course painted them as well.

The bed at the rear has been widened as well and I put in a piece of aluminum angle iron on the bed bottom, so that the cushions do not slide while I am using the bed. (If you want to see pics on this let me know) and I will also put in Velcro adhesive on the bottom cushions there as well at the front dinette to prevent them from sliding.)

The bathroom ceiling vent as well as the plumbing vent were replaced and the ceiling vent in the kitchen area was removed, recaulked and moved slightly so that it does not hit the vent cover on the roof.

I removed 4 dry rot panels and replaced them with 1/4 inch birch plywood

Jim
Your renovation looks marvelous. I love the brightness you achieved.
We just purchased an 89 Bigfoot and I want to reinstall overhead cupboards that were removed by a PO. You mentioned replacing the cupboard bottoms. Is that where you used the 1/8" birch plywood? And, how did you attach them to the walls?
I would like to see the pictures of the angle iron that you installed on the bed bottom.
What vents did you use to replace the previous ones?
Since you only replaced 4 panels, did you simply paint over the unreplaced original panels ?
Lora

Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Bigfoot Reno

Hi Lora, Thanks for the compliment. I sure do like the brightness and it makes the trailer look so much better. I have attached a few pics of the angle iron using wing nuts and bolts to prevent the foam from moving. I just drilled 3 holes at the end of the plywood and only takes a few minutes to set up. While the bed is not in use, I put in velcro with additional adhesive to prevent the foam from moving while I am sitting on the couch.
I actually used 1/8 inch, not 1/4 inch panels, which I cut with a sharp utility knive.
I only replaced the bottoms of the cupboards, which had masonite (hardboard) bottoms, and did not replace the back and the cupboards were in place, so have no idea on how you would mount the cupboards to the wall. Perhaps someone else could help with that, or you could post a question about it on the forum.
I only took out the bathroom vent as it was leaking and replaced it. The vent cover in the living area was not actually replaced, but the cover on top of the vent was moved slightly as it was hitting the roof cover when I opened the vent.
When priming and painting the 4 panels, I also painted the rest of the dark wood panelling, using Bullseye 123 latex primer, using a 4 inch foam roller. It took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of General Paint interior/exterior latex high performance paint.
Hope that answers all your questions, but do not hesitate to contact me if you need further information. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot After Painting 2 003.jpg   Bigfoot After Painting 2 004.jpg  

Bigfoot After Painting 2 005.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Jim, Thank you for the pictures of the angle iron. And, for the further details about the cupboards and painting.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #19

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Range Hood

Jim, I just noticed that you removed the range hood and am curious as to your reasons.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Jim, I just noticed that you removed the range hood and am curious as to your reasons.
Hi Lora, I thought that it was ugly, no offense, and did not think it was necessary. I thought about painting it, but decided against it. It had a 12 volt incandescent light which uses a lot more power as well when dry camping, which I will be doing. I replaced it with a LED light, and have two over the counter which gives a lot of light. I put in a new exterior vent and then framed in the opening, using small strips of wood and adhesive. I do not plan on putting in a fan at all. Any fans I have used in the past in the range hood have been very noisy, and computer fans do not seem to give enough updraft. I plan on doing a lot of cooking on my propane stove outdoors, hooked up to a 20 lb. tank. BTW, I just purchased a Mr Heater Portable Buddy propane heater, which I will be using with a 20 lb. tank, stored outdoors, and have long propane hose to run into the trailer. Gotta keep myself warm during the cool evenings we are experiencing.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #21

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Hi Lora, I thought that it was ugly, no offense, and did not think it was necessary. . . I put in a new exterior vent and then framed in the opening, using small strips of wood and adhesive. , , I plan on doing a lot of cooking on my propane stove outdoors, hooked up to a 20 lb. tank.
BTW, I just purchased a Mr Heater Portable Buddy propane heater, which I will be using with a 20 lb. tank, stored outdoors, and have long propane hose to run into the trailer. Gotta keep myself warm during the cool evenings we are experiencing.
No offense taken, what works for you is what's important. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer questions.
Is the exterior vent mounted in the opening I can see on the wall above the stove?
I too like the idea of providing a connection for the outdoor stove to the 20 lb tank.
The PO installed a catalytic heater. My brother said it worked great to take the chill off. He slept in it the night he picked it up for me in Eugene, OR.
I'm also curious about where you put the new converter, or is it behind the panel between the cooker and fridge?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
No offense taken, what works for you is what's important. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer questions.
Is the exterior vent mounted in the opening I can see on the wall above the stove?
I too like the idea of providing a connection for the outdoor stove to the 20 lb tank.
The PO installed a catalytic heater. My brother said it worked great to take the chill off. He slept in it the night he picked it up for me in Eugene, OR.
I'm also curious about where you put the new converter, or is it behind the panel between the cooker and fridge?
Hi Lora, I do not mind answering questions, as it was a learning experience for me and I have learned so much from this forum, and without the help of so many people, I could not have accomplished what I did....Yes the stove vent is above the stove, in the original position. The new vent was not the same size, so I used epoxy to fill in the holes and drilled new holes and then used butyl tape before installing the new vent and put in additional caulking as well....overkill, but it is worthwhile.
The catalytic heater is a great idea, but be sure to allow plenty of ventilation, with a few windows slightly open and even the overhead vent.
The new PD4045 converter was put in the original opening where the previous converter was, but I had to enlarge the opening and rebuild one of the drawers below the converter. The old converter was not working properly and the new converter is a state of the art unit with a distribution box built in. I had to get someone else to help me install it, as the connections were not the same, but now have plenty of power, but still kept the 15 amp wire in place, rather than replacing it with a 30 amp cord, as I felt I did not need the additional wiring but put in additional 110 plugs and two 12 volt receptacles using 12 gauge wire Yes the new converter is between the fridge and stove. When I will be using the heater, I can either run the propane hose through the open door, or the screen above the kitchen counter actually slides, so can run the hose through there and connect a longer hose to it. You will note in the pictures, that when I joined the panelling at the corners, I simply cut an inch of 1/8 inch panelling into strips, using an utility knife
and attached it with adhesive. I still have to put in new vinyl flooring, but no hurry for that project, as I want to get camping.
It is going to be so great to be camping again, as I have been working on this project since October. Feel free to ask more questions, and if you want more pics, I can send them to you regarding the removal and replacing of the dry rot panels and painting.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #23

Name: nathan
Trailer: bigfoot
Alberta
Hi wonderful job on the reno I as well love the brightness you have archived. I would love to see the photos on the replacement of the dry rot I have some in my trailer as well and I'd like to strip the interior this spring and repair what I can. Also do a nice face lift. I purchased a 86 Bigfoot this fall and well.. Alberta winters and never home with work leaves it sitting in the yard !
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Nathan. Welcome to FiberglassRV! We're glad you're here.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by natez View Post
Hi wonderful job on the reno I as well love the brightness you have archived. I would love to see the photos on the replacement of the dry rot I have some in my trailer as well and I'd like to strip the interior this spring and repair what I can. Also do a nice face lift. I purchased a 86 Bigfoot this fall and well.. Alberta winters and never home with work leaves it sitting in the yard !
Hi Nathan and thanks for the comments. It was a fun project and if I can answer any more questions, please let me know. The dry rot panels were replaced with 1/8 inch birch, not 1/4 inch.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115372598270155897455/BigfootRenos#
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #26

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Nathan and thanks for the comments. It was a fun project and if I can answer any more questions, please let me know. The dry rot panels were replaced with 1/8 inch birch, not 1/4 inch.
https://picasaweb.google.com/115372598270155897455/BigfootRenos#
Quote:
I removed 4 dry rot panels and replaced them with 1/4 inch birch plywood. I put on 3 coats of Bullseye 123 primer and 2 coats of General High Performance interior/exterior paint in the interior.
Hi Jim! What a great job on everything!
Did you come across any challenges or tips/tricks for painting the paneling?

Can I assume you cleaned, light sanded, then did the primer and paint?

Clayton
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
Hi Jim! What a great job on everything!
Did you come across any challenges or tips/tricks for painting the paneling?

Can I assume you cleaned, light sanded, then did the primer and paint?

Clayton
Hi Clayton, Thanks for the comments. To prepare the surface of the old panels, I just wiped it a bit with a damp cloth, did not use TSP as it was suggested not to use, and did not sand, then put on 3 coats of Bullseye 123 primer with a 4 inch foam roller and used a small foam roller to do the corners and tops (cutting in) the primer went on very well and sanding was not required. The primer went right over the birch panelling and the panels were very easy to cut with a utility knife and left a clean edge. When you put on the panelling over the Styrofoam, make sure you use the proper Styrofoam adhesive and I temporarily fastened a small piece of wood to hold the panel in place with screws while the adhesive dried, then filled the screw holes after removing the temporary wood piece. The most difficult part was doing the corners and were the wall and ceiling met, as I had to cut small pieces, aprox. 3 inch wide to fill in the gaps. Hope this helps and good luck as the results, once painted and the LED lights are in place, looks like a new trailer.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #28

British Columbia
I forgot to mention one thing about restoring. If a person is planning on replacing some of the interior panels, it might be a good thing to remove the windows at the same time and put in butyl tape before reinstalling. I cleaned all the old tape from the window frame as well as the frame on the trailer and also replaced all the window screens at the same time. Removing and replacing the windows can be a two person job but I feel it is very important to do this to prevent any leaks.

Tags
bigfoot