Bigfoot Interior Reno Completed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Bigfoot Interior Reno Completed

After working on my Bigfoot Interior for the past few months, here are the results.

Bigfoot Reno Photos by jimmieddd | Photobucket
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I LOVE the LED swivel lights.... oooooh an oven!

Nice job
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I LOVE the LED swivel lights.... oooooh an oven!

Nice job
Donna, you were so helpful in your posts, and very thankful for your input. Being the first to post to the pictures, I am very grateful. Thanks for all your hard work in keeping this board such a great forum to post questions & answers. I have learned so much from it and log on daily. It has been 4 months since I started the interior renos, and I did not think it would take so long. We usually spend the winters in the warm south climates, but this year decided to stay home on Vancouver Island so wanted to do something to keep me occupied. I travelled over onto the mainland of BC to pick up the Bigfoot in Peachland in Sept., and have had a great time restoring it. When I first purchased it, the first thing I wanted to do, was replace the wood panelling, as it was so dark and this has now been done. The exterior should be a breeze, and I am planning to attend the West Coast Whale Festival in March as well as a Country Music Festival in Duncan in August. In the meantime, I will travel up Island to Port Hardy and explore the entire island in my new, to me, restored Bigfoot. I plan to sell it in the fall, so anyone interested, please contact me. Thanks to all for the great input into this wonderful forum.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Great job on the remodel. I like the color, it made the interior much brighter. I also liked the movable clock with storage behind it.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Great job, looks like a new trailer.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Love the remodel , and like Danny really like the color it makes it look much bigger inside. Of coarse the LED's are going to be a big hit too. Makes me miss my old Bigfoot especially the front dinette.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Love the remodel so light and bright.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'd almost kill for talent like that.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Jim,

Great job! You've done a number of things to your interior I've contemplated doing to my all-original 1989 17' Gaucho model but the one I'm most interested in learning more about is the white interior paneling. I'd like to leave the wood face cabinets as they are but the walls and ceiling would really brighten up the interior if they were white, like the later model Bigfoots are. Did you cover how you did this an a previous post that I missed? If not, can you share your technique and insight on this? Thanks! Mike
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Awesome job Jim! looks so clean and fresh!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
I plan to sell it in the fall.....
Oh my. Well, folks gotta do what folks gotta do... and someone is going to get a great trailer.

Does it mean you're going to get another all molded and rehab it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #12

British Columbia
Thanks for the compliments, everyone, and it was a much longer project then I thought, but I am happy with the results.
There was dry rot in several places, so I removed the damaged panels, and put in 1/8 inch birch plywood. It was easy to cut the panels with a utility knife. The panels were applied to the Styrofoam with the proper adhesive. The corners and trim on the ceiling took quite some time to do and I used adhesive to keep them in place but used small pieces of wood screwed to the wall to keep everything in place while the adhesive set up. To cover the wood panelling, I used Bullseye 123 primer, and used 3 coats. I only wiped the surface prior to priming as they did not recommend using TSP, which I normally would use. The primer went on great, and I used a 4 inch foam roller to apply it as well as the 2 finishing coats of General Paint High Performance Interior/Exterior paint.
I just purchased paint for the exterior and took in the stone guard to see if they could match it. I do not know if I will paint all the exterior, or just the parts where I am doing the body work. I will use Bar Keepers Friend to remove all the oxidation and old wax prior to priming and painting. I will post the results, later.
Please ask any questions and I will be happy to answer. Jim
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You did a beautiful job. I really appreciate the specific info.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #14

British Columbia
I will try to explain in detail what I did on my Bigfoot:
I still have a few thing left to do on the interior, mainly the floor where I will put in vinyl flooring. As you can see from the pics, I replaced all the cupboard fronts as well as the cupboard bottoms and of course painted them as well. I put in a new converter (PD 4045) and ran lots of wire to run the 7 LED lights which I put on a separate circuit. The bed at the rear has been widened as well and I put in a piece of aluminum angle iron on the bed bottom, so that the cushions do not slide while I am using the bed. (If you want to see pics on this let me know) and I will also put in Velcro adhesive on the bottom cushions there as well at the front dinette to prevent them from sliding.) The bathroom ceiling vent as well as the plumbing vent were replaced and the ceiling vent in the kitchen area was removed, recaulked and moved slightly so that it does not hit the vent cover on the roof. I removed 4 dry rot panels and replaced them with 1/4 inch birch plywood. I put on 3 coats of Bullseye 123 primer and 2 coats of General High Performance interior/exterior paint in the interior. The paint was Cloud White and the cupboards were Museum. Door knobs and closures were also installed. I still have to put in supports to keep the cupboard doors open, which I purchased recently from Home Depot. All the windows were removed and cleaned and butyl tape put on before reinstalling. New screening was also installed. The cracked window was also replaced at the front right side thanks to Speedy Auto Glass which they installed in record time and even had a tinted piece in stock. I then caulked all the windows as well to make sure that I do not have any leaks using ProFlexRV Sealant: Note: Once the tube is opened, it must be used at once and cannot be stored. This is a very high grade sealant and highly recommended, about $13, Canadian, not cheap but an excellent product. I actually used this product to seal the new panelling at the interior corners as it is very flexible. The door entrance lock was also replaced.

I am starting to work on the exterior, and will sand down the roof and apply a epoxy bed liner, Gator Guard 11. A previous owner put on a bed liner paint on the roof, reason unknown, so much easier just to apply another coat, rather than remove the old coating. Body work will come next and I took in the stone guard to General Paint to get a colour match. I have not decided if I will repaint or just touch up all the exterior. The stone guard will have to be painted as there are spider cracks and I will fill the cracks with epoxy prior to painting.

I still have to put in new wheel bearings, grease them and get new tires. The rims will also need painting as well as the bumper and front hitch. The battery seems to be in fine order, so will keep it and I have another spare one which I will also use while dry camping. I plan on removing all the oxidation from the exterior body using a product called Bar Keepers Friend, which does a great job in removing any residue prior to waxing. The decals will be repainted, again using a colour match from General Paint, and will use an artists brush to work on that project as they are faded.
After all the body work is completed then I will apply 5 coats of Jeb High Gloss floor wax from Home Depot. The same product is called Red Max at Lowes, but I believe they discontinued that product from Lowes, so Home Depot should still carry it. I have put this wax on previous RVs and others have used it with great success, but it is necessary to remove all the old wax and oxidation using Bar Keepers Friend, which I can give more directions if needed.
Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions. Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
You did a beautiful job! I really like the bright light interior.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #16

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
. . . I replaced all the cupboard fronts as well as the cupboard bottoms and of course painted them as well.

The bed at the rear has been widened as well and I put in a piece of aluminum angle iron on the bed bottom, so that the cushions do not slide while I am using the bed. (If you want to see pics on this let me know) and I will also put in Velcro adhesive on the bottom cushions there as well at the front dinette to prevent them from sliding.)

The bathroom ceiling vent as well as the plumbing vent were replaced and the ceiling vent in the kitchen area was removed, recaulked and moved slightly so that it does not hit the vent cover on the roof.

I removed 4 dry rot panels and replaced them with 1/4 inch birch plywood

Jim
Your renovation looks marvelous. I love the brightness you achieved.
We just purchased an 89 Bigfoot and I want to reinstall overhead cupboards that were removed by a PO. You mentioned replacing the cupboard bottoms. Is that where you used the 1/8" birch plywood? And, how did you attach them to the walls?
I would like to see the pictures of the angle iron that you installed on the bed bottom.
What vents did you use to replace the previous ones?
Since you only replaced 4 panels, did you simply paint over the unreplaced original panels ?
Lora
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #17

British Columbia
Bigfoot Reno

Hi Lora, Thanks for the compliment. I sure do like the brightness and it makes the trailer look so much better. I have attached a few pics of the angle iron using wing nuts and bolts to prevent the foam from moving. I just drilled 3 holes at the end of the plywood and only takes a few minutes to set up. While the bed is not in use, I put in velcro with additional adhesive to prevent the foam from moving while I am sitting on the couch.
I actually used 1/8 inch, not 1/4 inch panels, which I cut with a sharp utility knive.
I only replaced the bottoms of the cupboards, which had masonite (hardboard) bottoms, and did not replace the back and the cupboards were in place, so have no idea on how you would mount the cupboards to the wall. Perhaps someone else could help with that, or you could post a question about it on the forum.
I only took out the bathroom vent as it was leaking and replaced it. The vent cover in the living area was not actually replaced, but the cover on top of the vent was moved slightly as it was hitting the roof cover when I opened the vent.
When priming and painting the 4 panels, I also painted the rest of the dark wood panelling, using Bullseye 123 latex primer, using a 4 inch foam roller. It took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of General Paint interior/exterior latex high performance paint.
Hope that answers all your questions, but do not hesitate to contact me if you need further information. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot After Painting 2 003.jpg   Bigfoot After Painting 2 004.jpg  

Bigfoot After Painting 2 005.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Jim, Thank you for the pictures of the angle iron. And, for the further details about the cupboards and painting.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #19

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Range Hood

Jim, I just noticed that you removed the range hood and am curious as to your reasons.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Jim, I just noticed that you removed the range hood and am curious as to your reasons.
Hi Lora, I thought that it was ugly, no offense, and did not think it was necessary. I thought about painting it, but decided against it. It had a 12 volt incandescent light which uses a lot more power as well when dry camping, which I will be doing. I replaced it with a LED light, and have two over the counter which gives a lot of light. I put in a new exterior vent and then framed in the opening, using small strips of wood and adhesive. I do not plan on putting in a fan at all. Any fans I have used in the past in the range hood have been very noisy, and computer fans do not seem to give enough updraft. I plan on doing a lot of cooking on my propane stove outdoors, hooked up to a 20 lb. tank. BTW, I just purchased a Mr Heater Portable Buddy propane heater, which I will be using with a 20 lb. tank, stored outdoors, and have long propane hose to run into the trailer. Gotta keep myself warm during the cool evenings we are experiencing.

Tags
bigfoot