I will try to explain in detail what I did on my Bigfoot:
I still have a few thing left to do on the interior, mainly the floor where I will put in vinyl flooring. As you can see from the pics, I replaced all the cupboard fronts as well as the cupboard bottoms and of course painted them as well. I put in a new converter (PD 4045) and ran lots of wire to run the 7 LED lights
which I put on a separate circuit. The bed at the rear has been widened as well and I put in a piece of aluminum angle iron on the bed bottom, so that the cushions do not slide while I am using the bed. (If you want to see pics on this let me know) and I will also put in Velcro adhesive on the bottom cushions there as well at the front dinette to prevent them from sliding.) The bathroom ceiling vent as well as the plumbing vent were replaced and the ceiling vent in the kitchen area was removed, recaulked and moved slightly so that it does not hit the vent cover on the roof. I removed 4 dry rot panels and replaced them with 1/4 inch birch plywood. I put on 3 coats of Bullseye 123 primer and 2 coats of General High Performance interior/exterior paint in the interior. The paint was Cloud
White and the cupboards were Museum. Door knobs and closures were also installed. I still have to put in supports to keep the cupboard doors open, which I purchased recently from Home Depot. All the windows
were removed and cleaned and butyl tape put on before reinstalling. New screening was also installed. The cracked window was also replaced at the front right side thanks to Speedy Auto Glass which they installed in record time and even had a tinted piece in stock. I then caulked all the windows
as well to make sure that I do not have any leaks
using ProFlexRV Sealant: Note: Once the tube is opened, it must be used at once and cannot be stored. This is a very high grade sealant and highly recommended, about $13, Canadian, not cheap but an excellent product. I actually used this product to seal the new panelling at the interior corners as it is very flexible. The door entrance lock was also replaced.
I am starting to work on the exterior, and will sand down the roof and apply a epoxy bed liner, Gator Guard 11. A previous owner put on a bed liner paint on the roof, reason unknown, so much easier just to apply another coat, rather than remove the old coating. Body work will come next and I took in the stone guard to General Paint to get a colour match. I have not decided if I will repaint or just touch up all the exterior. The stone guard will have to be painted as there are spider cracks and I will fill the cracks with epoxy prior to painting
I still have to put in new wheel bearings, grease them and get new tires
. The rims will also need painting
as well as the bumper and front hitch. The battery
seems to be in fine order, so will keep it and I have another spare one which I will also use while dry camping
. I plan on removing all the oxidation from the exterior body using a product called Bar Keepers Friend, which does a great job in removing any residue prior to waxing. The decals will be repainted, again using a colour match from General Paint, and will use an artists brush to work on that project as they are faded.
After all the body work is completed then I will apply 5 coats of Jeb High Gloss floor wax from Home Depot. The same product is called Red Max at Lowes, but I believe they discontinued that product from Lowes, so Home Depot should still carry it. I have put this wax on previous RVs and others have used it with great success, but it is necessary to remove all the old wax and oxidation using Bar Keepers Friend, which I can give more directions if needed.
Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions. Jim