Bigfoot reno (What did we get ourselves into) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #15

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Looks good! If I can budget for it, I'd like to get something up on the roof this summer. So far so good, but I leave my panel out on the ground while I'm at work all day in the summer. It only takes once...but so far no one has stolen it. Gotten to the point where I often get out the ladder and put the portable up on the roof, for peace of mind.

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #16

Name: Yvon
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992
Quebec
I have 1992 17' gaucho model and i have install a 9200 btu coleman ac
I have install it a the rear of the trailer because it was more easy to renforce the top of the trailer. I have install 2 wood crossmember in the top of rv, i have cut the foam anf install renforcement between the shower and the upper cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8728.jpg   IMG_0326.jpg  

Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #17

Name: Will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
AB
Hi all, new to the forum, and considering buying a 1985 Bigfoot 17. The trailer has a recently install AC unit. It was installed last season. Should I be concerned about roof sagging? Should I check with a 4ft level before agreeing to sale? I have already put down a holding deposit, but reading this thread has me a little concerned, and I dont really need AC that much anyways. Thoughts?
WillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
That's a good point I forgot about. The early Bigfoots had issues with weak roofs, from what I've been told. Since it's such a wide, flat surface, it can have more issues than the egg shapes. I think they addressed it some time in the 80s, but this is all rumor. But the modern Bigfoot trailers have a stronger roof than most fiberglass trailers. I can walk around on mine with no issues.

Like you I can walk on mine and for the past 7 years have a 9200 BTU Coleman polar cub on the roof with no issues at all. It was installed in place of the vent which had a reinforced area. Mine is also a 91 struts inside the rock guard no rat fur.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillW View Post
Hi all, new to the forum, and considering buying a 1985 Bigfoot 17. The trailer has a recently install AC unit. It was installed last season. Should I be concerned about roof sagging? Should I check with a 4ft level before agreeing to sale? I have already put down a holding deposit, but reading this thread has me a little concerned, and I dont really need AC that much anyways. Thoughts?
AC or not, checking roof for sag is something I would do on any used FG trailer I was considering. You are looking at a 35 year old rig.

When I was shopping, I showed up with a truck full of tools, a four foot level, and a ladder. I discovered serious problems on several of them. Sellers had no problem selling their trailers to someone else who didn't check. Don't be that someone else.

Tags
bigfoot