Bigfoot restore/updating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Good morning mike. It seems there are a lot of mikes with these bigfoots! Just with some of my experiences I would say it depends in where the roof is saggy. The front is definitely easier to access. You will have to remove the cabinets, light and corner trim pieces attached to walls. Be carful removing those pieces if you want to keep your wall panels mostly in tact. Those corner strips have about 100staples in them. There are 3 roof panels, I suggest working from to back for the best access. I am building in the roof and gluing the installation in as I go so the whole entire roof doesn't sag. The fibre glass is quite flimsy without the foam and cabinets.

I hope this helps a bit, I am kinda learning as I go to. The forums are helping as well as some of RV techs at my work. Please ask away and I will try to help more!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #16

Name: Aimee
Trailer: Casita 17 DLX
Kentucky
I am super glad to find your thread. So we bought a 2001 Bigfoot, and I have found that it was hit. It was undisclosed to us, and it took us a minute to figure it out. It looks like the window crumpled a bit and water was coming in on the front near the dinette. I don't think they sealed it well. We are currently pulling off all the wall board to figure out exactly what is going on under there. It looks like there may be screws through the fiberglass?!?! Anyways, when you got down to the insulation was it the styrofoam type? We're not sure exactly what it should look like under there...what's original and what was "done" to it. There was also some yellow fiberglass insulation (we wore masks...not knowing what we would find). Do you think your RV buddies might have some suggestions on how to fix a corner that was previously patched...badly? Ugh. Can't wait to see more pics of your remodel.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I don't know if this helps Aimee but this is what the inside of the wall where I removed the side window on my 1989 BF looks like. The front should be similar, if not identical. The screws don't go through the fiberglass. Just from the inside frame to the outside frame, which sandwiches the body (fiberglass/insulation/paneling) between the frame pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1553_1000px.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #18

Alberta
Hi Harry! I'm not to sure about the 2001 models but the insulation in the was is block foam (R5) in the rounded corners there is yellow fibreglass insulation glued in the corner. If you are trying to repair the corner patching fibreglass it is easy! Best thing about fibreglass is to much ya sand it down, to little you just fix it with fibreglass. Obviously if you are sanding it down don't take to much out so that you have no corner left. Fibreglass kits are about $30 including resin, glass matting and hardener. Follow the instructions of the kit and it is easy. I also found that the glass matting (the stuff that looks like its everywhere) is easier to work with than that cloth (the stuff that look nice like a blanket). Also you don't always have to use fibreglass, if you want to build up the corner a bit you can just put some coats of resin on and let dry. Careful with the mixture, follow direction so as to mix it to hot or it will harden before you can get it applied. Hope this helps a bit. I'm no pro but just speaking from experience and a tid bit of info I get here and there. Let us all know if you have anymore questions!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0453[1].jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #19

Alberta
It is hard to see in the pictures, but you can see where it needed more repair with the fibreglass matting, other spots got a generous coat of resin. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #20

Name: Aimee
Trailer: Casita 17 DLX
Kentucky
Cool, that is helpful. Also, how did you get the seating out? We took out all the screws but it seems glued in.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #21

Alberta
Sorry I don't understand your term of seating.... are you talking about the corner panels? It is a panel stapled and glued to about a 1x3 which is then stapled with about 1000 (maybe not quite that many) staples to the front and side walls. I hope that's what you meant...
Old 04-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #22

Alberta
Front wall

Well it seem I have finished putting in the block insulation, and framing up the shelf in the very front of my Bigfoot. Take a look!

Also I have replaced the outside markers with new LED markers, still to be wired up. I did take note, there are NO mounting backers for any of the markers lights, front window cover. So I have added those supports.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0559[1].jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #23

Name: Nelson
British Columbia
Hi Mike, great work! I'm glad I came across this as I just gutted the front ceiling area of my 1981 17 ft Bigfoot. Lots of great info. Just a couple quick questions. I've got pinholes all over my roof too, did you use matting for these areas or just the resin? Or did you just use matting where there were a lot of pinholes? And do you do anything on the outside? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #24

Alberta
Good morning Nelson. I only used matting on spots that were big than pin holes, several pin holes in a small area or looked/felt weaker from flexing. Matting I found increased the thickness. I would think for just pin holes use just a couple coats of resin, mix it a little hot so it wants to dry quicker, this should help it stay up on the roof with out leaking off. After be sure to try and sand everything all even so that the foam evenly sticks up there. Hope this helps!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #25

Name: Nelson
British Columbia
Hi again Mike. I've been experimenting with a couple different glues. I was hoping to use a tube glue like liquid nails to save money but it doesn't seem to want to set, it just stays gooey.

I also tried some Proform spray adhesive (PF 528) but it gassed off, blowing a hole in the foam. Is this the same spray you're using? I'm thinking I may have laid it on a little thick for my test. Pretty pricey so if the original style pink adhesive is cheaper I might just use that. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #26

Alberta
Hi Nelson. The glue and foam seem to be the spendy part. First I used a automotive spray adhesive for headliners and what not, pro form sounds like what I used but the glue I was recommended did not eat the foam. At $17 a can it wasn't lasting long so I had to find a new option. I found this latex contact cement. Easy to work with, comes in larger quantities, roll/brush on, good working time, no VOC. So far it works likes a charm. I will try to get a picture up of this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #27

Alberta
Good morning to anyone following this. I have a bit of an update on the '81 Bigfoot. It seems the ceiling and roof work that I did I am not happy with. After I had up all the framing and insulation the roof would still not take shape, still had waveyness... To be short it was sagged out...

Here is what I did. I tore everything down that I put up. Foam, bulkheads, framing right down to the shell again. I resanded everything down and smooth and cleaned it up (again). In my second attempt to fix the roof properly I have acquired some angled aluminum strips. These strips will span crossway from wall to wall. Last night I installed some to see how it will work out. The biggest hurtle I have found the first time and second time was applying pressure from the outside down wards to get a good bond and shape the roof a bit. I came up with (what I thought) was a good idea. I put a 8foot long 2x4 on top on the roof (outside) with a 8 foot piece of foam underneath. At 8ft long the 2x4 overhangs the trailer on both sides. On each side I attached a ratchet strap and hooked on to the frame of the trailer. The straps provide the downward pressure I need when putting up the aluminum. I have braces made for the inside to put pressure upwards against the aluminum. I hope all this makes sense. I will snap some pictures when I get home for lunch. I took a quick picture of my "roof clamp" idea as I was setting it up. I will attach it to this thread. I hope this is solution the this saggy problem. Any thoughts please chime in, let me know your feelings...
Old 05-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #28

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Good morning to anyone following this. I have a bit of an update on the '81 Bigfoot. It seems the ceiling and roof work that I did I am not happy with. After I had up all the framing and insulation the roof would still not take shape, still had waveyness... To be short it was sagged out...

Here is what I did. I tore everything down that I put up. Foam, bulkheads, framing right down to the shell again. I resanded everything down and smooth and cleaned it up (again). In my second attempt to fix the roof properly I have acquired some angled aluminum strips. These strips will span crossway from wall to wall. Last night I installed some to see how it will work out. The biggest hurtle I have found the first time and second time was applying pressure from the outside down wards to get a good bond and shape the roof a bit. I came up with (what I thought) was a good idea. I put a 8foot long 2x4 on top on the roof (outside) with a 8 foot piece of foam underneath. At 8ft long the 2x4 overhangs the trailer on both sides. On each side I attached a ratchet strap and hooked on to the frame of the trailer. The straps provide the downward pressure I need when putting up the aluminum. I have braces made for the inside to put pressure upwards against the aluminum. I hope all this makes sense. I will snap some pictures when I get home for lunch. I took a quick picture of my "roof clamp" idea as I was setting it up. I will attach it to this thread. I hope this is solution the this saggy problem. Any thoughts please chime in, let me know your feelings...
Just a quick snap shop as I was setting up the "trailer clamp"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0743[1].jpg  

Tags
bigfoot