Bigfoot Window Shade Repairs - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Bigfoot Window Shade Repairs

Anyone have any experience with repairing OEM window shades on their Bigfoot trailer? My new (used) trailer purchase seems to have multiple problems such as replacing worn suspension strings running through shade pleats to difficult raising and lowering of the shades. Any guidance would be very welcome indeed!

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We replaced our OEM day/night shades with blackout/day shades. They are much easier to operate, provide more insulation (foil-lined cells) and are truly light-blocking. In the attached photo, you can see the difference in the first one I installed in the dinette area. All dinette interior lights were on. The othe shades were still original, in the night position.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
FDF6D2DB-0886-44C4-8FD9-78D4C83C2974.jpg  

Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Colorado
Replacement Window Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
We replaced our OEM day/night shades with blackout/day shades. They are much easier to operate, provide more insulation (foil-lined cells) and are truly light-blocking. In the attached photo, you can see the difference in the first one I installed in the dinette area. All dinette interior lights were on. The othe shades were still original, in the night position.
Bruce

Thanks for the speedy reply, Bruce. Can you share where you obtained the opaque window shades you used?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply, Bruce. Can you share where did you obtain the opaque window shades you used?
Would be interested in knowing as well.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #5

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
SelectBlinds Premium Light Filtering/Blackout Cordless shades. SelectBlinds.com. My wife ordered many samples (colors and styles) from various suppliers. I did the grunt work. Replacement involved removing and reinstalling valences. And had to buy a 6 inch square tip driver for the scews on the valences. But entire project only took me half a day. They go up and down with one hand. She who must be obeyed is entirely pleased with the outcome.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

Colorado
Thanks for the link; it looks like a very nice solution. While looking for potential solutions I ran across this very informative video describing how to repair OEM shades. It includes diagrams and complete step-by-step instructions. I may try to fix one of my broken blinds to see how much time is involved in preserving the originals. It doesn't look too to be difficult if the instructions are closely followed.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Name: Gene
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Shade repair is pretty easy

I repaired 3 shades in my former class A. You can buy repair kits at Campers World or online. Itís new string and other bits youíll need. The video makes easy work of it.

Tags
bigfoot