Bigger would be better - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Arrow

We've got a Mazda van and are trying to find a nice little trailer to pull behind it for a long snowbird vacation - two months if we can stand camping that long. We're looking at 13 foot Bolers, which are a nice light weight for the van and yet give us a "solid home" - we are both tired of wet tents.
Has anyone modified a Boler for a tall occupant? I imagine the height is probably a nonstarter but what about the bed? Has anyone turned it around to gain more length? And have you any other suggestions to make it more comfortable for him, or should we look elsewhere?
Jane Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft / 4 cyl Tacoma
I have a 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma pickup that I pull a 17' Casita (with tall ceiling) with and it has no problems keeping up road speeds at all. You might want to consider a larger trailer for 2-months camping. I had a 13' Casita and they get too small real quick. ONe like the 16' Casita or the 17' has all the amenities you need to actually live in them.
Lon
lonlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #3

Angry

Quote:
I have a 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma pickup that I pull a 17' Casita (with tall ceiling) with and it has no problems keeping up road speeds at all. You might want to consider a larger trailer for 2-months camping. I had a 13' Casita and they get too small real quick. ONe like the 16' Casita or the 17' has all the amenities you need to actually live in them.
Lon
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've been looking for something bigger, but the price difference is pretty substantial - anything around 17 feet (I really think that's a perfect size, although close to the 3000 max weight our Mazda can manage) seems to be over $10,000...at least around Vancouver Island area.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've been looking for something bigger, but the price difference is pretty substantial - anything around 17 feet (I really think that's a perfect size, although close to the 3000 max weight our Mazda can manage) seems to be over $10,000...at least around Vancouver Island area.
But that does bring up another point...you will gather that we are completely new to RV'ing...is it best to buy and hitch up/license/etc before we leave home, or to wait to buy until we get closer to our destination (the Four Corners area)? I did a bit of research on this and it seems that taking a trailer back across the border would not be a huge problem, but I'm thinking of all the other stuff, like transferring $$, getting it licensed and so on. Have any Cdn snowbirds done this recently, and if so, what did you find? Better selection farther south? Better deals, maybe?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I don't know if this helps but here's a listing...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rvs/913408867.html
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Jane, for what it's worth...my wife and I are heading out in early January for our annual snowbird migration . We live in the Trillium in the Florida state parks for three months...and so far she hasn't killed me. This will be our fifth winter in the Road Toad, and it seems really spacious compared to our unit for the previous five years- a VW Eurovan Camper. I guess everything is relative
When you are in one of these rigs, they are just for sleeping- the rest of the day we are out on the beach, hiking, canoeing, biking, campfiring with the "backpacker' guitar, and falling asleep around 9 or 10. Rainy days we head out in the Toyota and tour (or shop!)
I use the front bunk...by choice...because I wear a sleep apnea mask and the CPAP machine fits nicely on the floor beside the bed. The bunk is at least 6feet long, and after removing the rear plywood upper bunk/backrest unit, I find that i have lots of space.
If you can get a chance to borrow/rent/ or even tour one of these rigs, it would certainly help with the decision-making process. On the other hand if you bought and had to sell after the trip, you might even make some $ on the experience

Happy snowbirding!
Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Jane, I'm 6'3" and we have a 13' TRILLIUM. LIVING in it would be a tight fit but you must consider these things aren't REALLY mean to be used full time anyway, 24/7!! Yes, there are areas inside where I need to stoop but we haven't had any MAJOR issues with height in the years we've owned our egg. Were you thinking of a 17' Boler, because the 13' Bolers don't have quite the head room as a Trillium does. The picture herein is our trailer.

IF you are interested in a 17' Boler I know where there is a freshly redone one that has just this A.M. come up for sale (here on the mainland)....
Attached Thumbnails
plymouth_n_trailer15.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Jane,
There is a 13' listed in the referrals forum that is reported to be a little taller and wider for $1500 in Southern Ontario. It might suit your requirements. Brand is unknown at this time.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=32909

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #9

Wow! What a great community this is - thanks so much, everyone.
Alistair, you are very reassuring! We have done a lot of tent camping and enjoy the same things as you and your wife do, so it does seem as though this is the way to go for a bit more comfort on the aging bones. I've got several Bolers and Trilliums to look at on and around Van Isle, and might even venture farther and go see a couple in Vancouver and across the border. The big decision is whether to try to buy before we head out, or to just hit the road and try to find something enroute. (We have the van fixed up enough to sleep in if necessary and would hotel where feasible, though we like to explore remote areas.)
I've really enjoyed reading all the forums on this site. It's a terrific resource - if you haven't looked at the Document Centre, I recommend it! Don't forget to make a donation - we owe these people our support.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Jane, my advice for trailer purchase would be : buy now, get some time to check the usual areas for repair/maintenance before you leave. It's no fun trying to repair a leaking window seam, dry out soaked upholstery, and still stick to your travel schedule . Tires, hitch & trailer lights, frig & stove, door locks, propane, battery, etc, etc. All fairly easy fixes if you have some time, patience and ingenuity. Not such easy fixes on the road.
As a tenter you will be well equipped to transition to trailering.
Going south for you "left coast" folks looks a bit different from the route us easterners take, but the goal is the same...Warmth & sunshine
We passed up Florida this Jan-Aprilto take a swing out thru Texas, New Mexico & Arizona ( got lots of good advice from this forum!)
We didn't find the temperatures encouraging us to go "up" to the Four Corners...we even had snow eight miles north of the Mexican border in Arizona in Feb Might be worth checking the websites for temperature ranges in the months you are looking at. Take fleece and a cube heater too
Sounds like a great beginning to new adventures
Happy Camping...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote