Bike Rack - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post

I've got a factory installed receiver on the back of my 13 Scamp. The factory added an extra cross beam to weld the receiver to as well as the bumper.

I have 13 in wheels. A 13 Scamp sits much lower than any 17 Casita. There has only been a couple of times that the bike rack bottomed out when I wasn't paying attention. I generally watch the depth of entries and exists of driveways and take it easy.

You really shouldn't have a problem with your 17 Casita.
Any chance you have pics under the rear area of your 13' Scamp? I'm pleasantly surprised that the factor added that and would love to see what they did.

dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19ft
Central Coast of Cal
Originally Posted by Greg Janke View Post
What's the conventional wisdom on mounting a bike rack on the rear of a 17' Casita SD? I talked to one Casita'er who swore that welding a receiver UNDER the bumper was fine so I bought a 12" receiver but I'm sure not convinced it's high enough to avoid scraping. (I don't have a high lift axle).

So much for conventional wisdom. I had the receiver mounted on top of the bumper and followed Fred's advice to strengthen the bumper with angle iron and a gusset. Solid as a rock and works great. I now rest the spare tire on top of the receiver. Pictures available if anybody's interested.

Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Here's a thread with all kinds of pictures of all kinds of brands of trailers and all kinds of methods to carry bikes. There's one at the bottom of the 2nd page (with pictures) of a welded receiver on the bottom of the rear bumper: carrying bikes
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
I wonder how much air flow is restricted to rad, a/c condensor and trans cooler with bikes mounted on the front, i know in one ac class i took the instructor told us that a simple piece of sceen in front of all the coolers that lots of people use for bugs and stones restricts upwards of 60 % of the air flow, so I wonder about over heating and poor a/c performance and such with bikes mounted on the front. I always laugh when i see a truck with a spare tire mounted on the front and wonder how well it posibly can be cooling.

DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote