Bike Rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Bike Rack

I've been trying to find a bike rack that actually dosen't take much space. I even took the Scamp to the local shop and was going to have him put a receiver on the rear. After reading forums on how they effect towing I decided not to do that. This fits on top of the bed rails so no underneath storage is lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
That is a sweet setup!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

Florida
Thanks... Very simple to make and still have storage underneath for tables, chairs, coolers, lp tanks etc.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #4

Florida
One more picture of rear 2x6.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack Rear.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Great idea Mike, I had considered doing something similar. Could you post a few close ups & details (brand of product) as to what you used and how you mounted the front forks, as well as what use used for securing the rear wheels.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Great idea Mike, I had considered doing something similar. Could you post a few close ups & details (brand of product) as to what you used and how you mounted the front forks, as well as what use used for securing the rear wheels.

The front forks are Yakima's with locks. You can find cheaper ones at many bike shops that attach to a board and rest on the front bed rails. The rear 2x6 is attached to the adjustable cargo tie downs again there are various different types of mounts. The rear tires are secured with heavy duty cable ties. This is solid as a rock and will be going across county with them.
Attached Thumbnails
mounts.jpg   mount.jpg  

Old 04-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
Bikes in Pickup Bed

Family was just visiting with their Casita. Previously they had one of these bike racks in the pickup bed that held up the bikes. My brother in law complained that the bikes sat in the middle of the bed, and basically took up most of the useable space in the pickup bed. He is a clever guy, and he crafted his own.
The horizontal support is a piece of ABS plastic pipe, sized based upon the width of the pickup bed. This piece of pipe is glued to two ABS tees, with part of each tee cut out with a saw, to fit over the top tube of the bike. A hole is drilled at each end of the ABS pipe, so that an elastic strap or a bungee cord can secure the bike to the pickup. The front wheels tend to move toward the center as the truck moves, but that was solved with boxes of stuff between the front wheels, keeping them apart.
Simple and cheap, and most of the pickup bed is available for other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1720.jpg   IMG_1722.jpg  

IMG_1725.jpg  
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: In the market
Odessa, Florida
I hauled my mountain bikes like this for years across the States. The only problem is when it rains it washes all your bike grease and grime off on the the following vehicle.
Gator Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
Family was just visiting with their Casita. Previously they had one of these bike racks in the pickup bed that held up the bikes. My brother in law complained that the bikes sat in the middle of the bed, and basically took up most of the useable space in the pickup bed. He is a clever guy, and he crafted his own.
The horizontal support is a piece of ABS plastic pipe, sized based upon the width of the pickup bed. This piece of pipe is glued to two ABS tees, with part of each tee cut out with a saw, to fit over the top tube of the bike. A hole is drilled at each end of the ABS pipe, so that an elastic strap or a bungee cord can secure the bike to the pickup. The front wheels tend to move toward the center as the truck moves, but that was solved with boxes of stuff between the front wheels, keeping them apart.
Simple and cheap, and most of the pickup bed is available for other stuff.
If you take one of those bungee ball cords and loop it around the down tube and through the front wheel it will gently hold the wheel in line with the frame. For a road bike this works better than a flickstand with less impact. It also GREATLY facilitates lifting and handling the bike. You can then lift with one hand on the downtube and the other on the seat post without the wheel and the bar flopping around and slapping you in the face.
It makes the bike feel a lot lighter when lifting and the cord can also be used as a bicycle clip to keep your pant leg away from the chainring when riding.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Our current setup our 2011 Ford Escape towing our Trillium 4500. Haven't tried bringing bikes but I definitely want to bring 2 bikes on some trips. The LEAST complicated cheapest way would be to attach our Thule trunk mount to the Ford Escape hatch, and I will try that first. I don't like the alternatives such as (1) compound front hitch mount, (2) trailer rear hitch mount or (3) tongue mount.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Our current setup our 2011 Ford Escape towing our Trillium 4500. Haven't tried bringing bikes but I definitely want to bring 2 bikes on some trips. The LEAST complicated cheapest way would be to attach our Thule trunk mount to the Ford Escape hatch, and I will try that first. I don't like the alternatives such as (1) compound front hitch mount, (2) trailer rear hitch mount or (3) tongue mount.
your Trillium is a great trailer but I think it could actually benefit from a tongue mount.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
Are there tongue mount hardware kits available? What would be a good tongue mount design?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tongue mount racks are available from etrailer. Arvika makes a nice one, but expensive. I've adapted a rear mount rack to fit on the tongue, and have seen a couple nice homemade ones.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #14

Registry
Here's one I made for a 16Scamp and one I made for my 13Scamp....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7915.jpg 1.jpg   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

Old 04-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #15

Michigan
Registry
platform style bike rack adapted to tongue area (not the hitch)

Looks like it wouldn't be too much trouble to adapt and attach a platform style bike rack to the frame rails in the tongue area. Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #16

Michigan
Registry
My Trillium is in Ont. right now getting a new axle. I'll look at it when I get it back...

I would want a solution that I can also use on the Boler 1700 that we're going to start getting camp-able (first want to do some body work, get all exterior lights working, replace the body-to-frame bolts, pull and re-seal the windows, etc).