Bike Rack for Escape 21 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
New York
Bike Rack for Escape 21

I'm sure that this has been covered often, in fact I remember a thread from a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to bend the search function to my will and find the relevant threads.

What are good bike racks to mount in the 2" receiver on the rear of an Escape 21. The receiver is marked as being good for a 150 lb. load. I'd like to find a 2 bike rack that has tracks or something to hold the wheels in place and a clamp for either the seat tube or top tube. This style will be easier for my partner to use than one that has the bikes hanging from the top tubes. The rack only needs to hold 2 bicycles. Both will be adult size and weigh less than 40# each.
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Andy, you are pretty limited as most bike racks are not recommended for travel trailers or rv's. The brand thats most well known and works with rv's is 1UP or a slightly cheaper option Swagmann I haven't tried the swagman rv version, but I did have a standard one on my car and thought it was good quality.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
We bought one of these - it was light and simple. It worked without fail for a 2500 -mile trip to AZ and back. It is RV approved (look for this). Worth a look, anyway.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...ro/B01311.html
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I believe this was the recent thread, and discussion. The bouncing of trailer's back end seems to amplify the stress.

Try the lower Google search window. I can't make the upper one work.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-85024.html
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: edh
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
The key is the trailer hitch

We used to have a casita and we take our mountain bikes everywhere. So, my husband went to a local trailer shop and made sure that the hitch that was put on was extremely well built and sturdy. He took it back because the 1st time was not good enough. Once he did, we never had any problems and took our bikes on all kinds of dirt roads etc. I have a Kuat double rack that I have now had for several years and would recommend to anyone.

So, just like the fact that we love fiberglass because it lasts, you have to invest a little more time and effort but it is totally worth it.
Good luck on your quest. and happy biking !!
eltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We use the 1UP on the back of our 19, and have been thrilled with it. Very easy to load and unload the bikes.

Definitely pricey, but well worth it.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I recently purchased the Swagman Dispatch 2 bike carrier. Here is the amazon link to the model:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After two trips my first impressions are great. It is very well engineered and well crafted with few parts. Well designed and simple. It is a solid bike rack that holds the bikes securely in place. Unboxing and assembly was quick and easy. I was loading bikes in less than twenty minutes. I like that the upright arm folds down and out of the way so I can easily access my storage cabinet. It also comes with a cable lock for securing the bikes.

I like the tray style racks as I also have a Kuat NV 2.0 set up for 4 bikes -
The Kuat is my all-time favorite rack but too large and heavy for the back of a RV/Travel trailer... Kuat actually recommended the Swagman rack as they do not warranty any of their models for the back of an RV. I ordered the optional fat tire trays for one of my bikes. Here is the amazon link for the ones that fit on the Swagman Dispatch if you have a fat tire bike:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck, Happy Camping and Happy Biking!
Attached Images

rojoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Looks scary.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I have the Swagman Escapee 2 on the back of my Escape 21, its quite sturdy, holds a wide range of bikes, the bikes are really easy to mount, and nothing touches the bike frame, they are held in place with their wheels.

pictures of it here...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ape-83917.html
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Very scary. To each his own.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Someone posted earlier how their Kuat rack sheared in half on back of their trailer. Get one rated for RV use.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
note, btw, not all Swagman racks are RV rated. the XC and Escapee 2 are, I'm not sure what others.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Someone posted earlier how their Kuat rack sheared in half on back of their trailer. Get one rated for RV use.

It was mine that separated at the weld several weeks ago, dropping most of the rack and two bikes on the road. I contacted Kuat with photos and a report and was told that they do not make a rack that is safe for use on a trailer or RV. My experience confirmed the importance of paying attention to manufacturers' stated limits and ratings.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If you get a 1UP I can guarantee you will be thrilled with the design, build quality and ease of use. This is the type of product that gives you pride in ownership.

I can't speak for any other rack other than a Swagman I had that performed poorly.

Whatever you get make sure it is rated for RV use, as there is a lot more bounce back there, even on your Escape 21, than there is on the rear of a motor vehicle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #15

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
I'm sure that this has been covered often, in fact I remember a thread from a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to bend the search function to my will and find the relevant threads.

What are good bike racks to mount in the 2" receiver on the rear of an Escape 21. The receiver is marked as being good for a 150 lb. load. I'd like to find a 2 bike rack that has tracks or something to hold the wheels in place and a clamp for either the seat tube or top tube. This style will be easier for my partner to use than one that has the bikes hanging from the top tubes. The rack only needs to hold 2 bicycles. Both will be adult size and weigh less than 40# each.
If you can afford it, I suggest the Kuat rack. It locks to the hitch and comes with a cable to lock the bikes as well. Also, it is very stout and the bikes do not bounce around. Looks for sales, since they are pricy. I own one and use on the car receiver hitch and the camper.
Good luck.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
From the FAQ section of the KUAT website:

CAN I USE A KÜAT RACK ON MY RV?
No. Küat racks are not recommended for use on any recreational vehicle.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #17

Mid Left Coast
I really think the two best choices here are the 1Up (best, most expensive), and Swagman Escapee 2 (good, not quite as expensive). The 1up is aluminum so easier to mount/unmount from the hitch reciever, also can be folded up flat when not in use so you don't have to take it off. both support the bike standing in wheel trays, with clamps for both wheels, so nothing is touching the frame. the swagman clamps are up against your caliber brakes, while the 1Up don't even touch the brakes.... swagman has an integral lock on the clamps, I'm not sure the 1up does, but obviously a good cable lock would work just fine.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:45 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhonisch View Post
If you can afford it, I suggest the Kuat rack. It locks to the hitch and comes with a cable to lock the bikes as well. Also, it is very stout and the bikes do not bounce around. Looks for sales, since they are pricy. I own one and use on the car receiver hitch and the camper.
Good luck.
I had looked long and hard at the Kuat, a very nice rack. Then I came across the 1UP and was immediately sold, especially after researching reviews.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape