BIke Rack for our Escape! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
BIke Rack for our Escape!

just got a Swagman Escapee 2 to carry our bikes on the back of the Escape... assembled it, very solid very nice bike rack. Uses a threaded bolt for a hitch pin, so it doesn't sway or rock back and forth at all. the rack is rated to carry two 60 lb(!) bikes, mine are more like 30 lb. rack + 2 * 60 lbs would exceed the 150 lbs that the bumper reciever on hte Escape says is the limit, but with my 30-ish lb bikes, no problem at all. holds all sorts of odd frame shapes, as it clamps the front wheel and straps down the back wheel, and nothing touches the bike frame.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Thanks for sharing your solution. It vaguely reminds me of the racks on the front of Denver city busses.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
As a vintage bike collector/restorer/buyer/seller, I only use a rack like this one that supports the bike from the bottom. Racks where bikes are suspended from above, I call danglers. On such racks, first, they clamp on the top tube, never a very good idea. Secondly, bikes tend to bang into each other. Can do a fair amount of damage, to in my case, a bike that has survived unmolested for decades.

Good move on that rack!

As always, once you put something on the back of a trailer, you do have to watch tongue weight (it tends to lighten the tongue).

I tend to carry an empty rack on the back of our trailer, bikes go inside the truck. Then once we are set up camping, I'll put the rack on my TV, the truck, and go shopping. I'll end up with several additional bikes in the back of the truck by the time we head home. I'll disassemble them and box the frames up to conserve space.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #4

Mid Left Coast
btw, they make a variation of this rack for 4 bikes, also a 2+2 where it a 2 bike rack but you can add another double rack to it to make it a 4 bike rack.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
I like that rack.

I have an swagman that's ok,its the model where the tires fit in hoops and a u shaped bolt fits over top tube. Its a hassle juggling pedals and handlebars on 2 bikes and the spare tire is too close and makes it a chore, also have to fit some padding over the top tube. How does your rack do when loading? Easy on, easy off?
Adirondack Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #6

Mid Left Coast
I've only loaded the bikes on it once for that test shot yesterday, it was pretty darn easy ... i guess I should take them off as we're not going anywhere any time soon.

... ok, I just unloaded them, yeah, pretty easy. on the back of my escape, the wheel trays are probably 3' off the ground, so you have to lift the bikes from around shoulder-high and lower them to the ground. oh yeah, and remember to release the rear wheel strap BEFORE you undo the front wheel clamp my wife's bike is a step through 'comfort bike' with really high bars, so its a little unwieldy to pick up, but even so, it was sure easier than loading them on my old Yakima 'lockjaw' roof rack
Old 02-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Anthony View Post
I like that rack.

I have an swagman that's ok,its the model where the tires fit in hoops and a u shaped bolt fits over top tube. Its a hassle juggling pedals and handlebars on 2 bikes and the spare tire is too close and makes it a chore, also have to fit some padding over the top tube. How does your rack do when loading? Easy on, easy off?
thats the XC model. we have a very old one of those that we used to use with one of our cars that had a 1.25" hitch reciever, but it doesn't have the 2" adapter and its a little too rusty now so I figured a new RV rack was in order. Also, the 'hook' that holds the top bar won't work with my wife's current stepthrough as its /really/ low in the middle.

Tags
escape