Bike Rack/Hitch Receiver - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Skeenut; did I just meet you at Jekyll?? You won't want to use your current setup with a Casita because that extension throws off the weight limit of your hitch. When carrying our bikes on the rear of our Uhaul I enclose them in a Swagman bike bag. Not a real great item but it worked for one trip. I added extra lights on the bike rack and the high mount stop / turn light.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeenut View Post
Here's a shot of my current, less than optimal set-up:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture8009.jpg
I noticed you are now using a hitch extender. I'm assuming your current trailer is pretty light, since hitch extenders typically reduce the allowable tongue weight significantly due to the lever effect (50%, according to the fine print on one I looked at).

If you upgrade, Casita 17s are really heavy on the hitch, in the 400# range (see Trailer Weights in the Real World), so your current set-up with an extender simply won't work.

Perhaps you could show the pictures of Floyd's and Bigfoot Mike's racks to a metal fabricator and seen what they can do. You shouldn't need a hitch extender with that set-up, but you will need at least 500# of tongue weight capacity on your tow vehicle.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I use a separate bike rack bolted directly to the bumper of my van which has a hole in it for a trailer ball. The trailer is towed with a separate trailer hitch. It lets me carry the bikes away from the parked trailer and the trailer is not affected by the weight when towing.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokra View Post
I use a separate bike rack bolted directly to the bumper of my van which has a hole in it for a trailer ball. The trailer is towed with a separate trailer hitch. It lets me carry the bikes away from the parked trailer and the trailer is not affected by the weight when towing.

I'd be interested in a picture of your set-up. I'm not visualizing what you are describing.