Bike Rack/Hitch Receiver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
New Jersey
Bike Rack/Hitch Receiver

Has anyone installed a hitch receiver on the rear of their trailer so they can use a hitch mount bike rack?
What other options have you come up with to carry bikes?
Jeff
skeenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I had it as a factory installed option all the time for the express purpose of using it for a bike rack and used it all the time. I think a lot of people on FGRV do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I had a receiver installed when I purchased my first Trillium 4500. We have used it for a bike rack, and a cargo platform. It should be noted that putting lots of weight on the back of the trailer will make it less stable.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bike Rack/Hitch Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
...It should be noted that putting lots of weight on the back of the trailer will make it less stable.

Agree. I do have one and use it for some trips. With bikes on the back, you do have to be very careful about weight distribution, slow down even more, and be more aware of cross-winds and passing semis. I'd say in general, the smaller the trailer, the greater the effect. Another issue is visibility of rear lights.

You may want to do a Google site search on this topic. There's a lot of information in old threads. On the website (not available on the app) go to the blue bar under your log-in information. Choose "search" and scroll all the way down to the bottom for the Google search.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I prefer to use a roof mount rack on the tug rather than on the rear of the trailer for the reasons people have already mentioned.

When I switched to pulling with a truck that was no longer an option so I purchased a hitch from Orbital Machine Works - they make custom hitches for Casita and for Scamp (may have to send them a message asking for the Scamp one). They are a member here and their hitches are VERY well made and they package them up really well for shipping to your location. They include easy instructions for installing the hitch yourself if your so inclined. I wasn't so I had Escape Trailers install the hitch for me.

I was really worried about the weight of the hitch bike rack itself as the ones I already owned are very good ones but they weigh a lot. I purchased a new rack called Kuat Beta - it only weighs 11lbs... the lightest rack I could find. It also turns out that due to its design and features it is the most stable bike rack I have ever owned - little to no movement. When not in use the arms fold down so they are not sticking out behind the trailer.

I also do not carry any heavier mountain bike type bikes, only newer "much" lighter road bikes.

Even with the light rack and bikes I do need to make adjustments to how I stow the trailer when towing with the bikes on the rear to avoid sway.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
After having a commercially made rack bend I made my own using Thule and Swagman parts. Bikes will tend to bounce on the rear of a trailer so you need a sturdy rack. I have seen two racks break off resulting in bikes being dragged down the road. All kinds of options and opinions on this subject.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

New Jersey
Wow, thanks for all the great info!
We currently have a Campinn 560 Raindrop. The mountain bikes ride on a Yakima tray type hitch mount rack called a Holdup. It weighs about 50# itself, heavy.
I've got it mounted between the TV and the trailer on a Rube Goldberged ball mount that works...pretty well. In a tight turn, near jackknife, the bike tires can touch the trailer. I don't like that. And the trailer is backed waaaaay back from the tow vehicle. We tow with big Dodge Durango and had no problems at all on our recent run from NW Jersey to Fort Lauderdale and back again, but I'd just like a better hitch set up. Might get something fabricated.
Or I might put a receiver on the back of the Raindrop for the bike rack.
And I'd like to be able to do the same with Fiberglass unit too.
That stuff from Orbital Machine Works looks like just the ticket.
All I've got to do is find a 17' Casita that I can afford.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Bike Rack/Hitch Receiver

One member built a rack that fits between trailer and tug. Sits up high to minimize interference with the tug. Should show up in a Google search, or perhaps he will chime in.

OTOH, a Casita 17' is pretty stable and tongue-heavy, so a rear-mounted carrier shouldn't affect stability too much.

I use a heavy-duty security cable through bikes and trailer frame so if the worst does happen, it won't be left lying in the road to cause an accident.

Our bikes are inexpensive. If they were otherwise, I'd spend the $$ to get a good roof-mount system on the tug. Advantage: you can leave the trailer in camp and take the bikes to wherever you want to ride.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #9

Registry
Floyd built a very nice bike set up using the tray bike rack that sits up over his propane tanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
That's the one. Thanks for pulling it up, Carol.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I welded an extra receiver tube on top of my receiver hitch on my tug. This keeps the bikes on My Nissan so after I drop the trailer I have the bikes with me. For me the bikes on the back of the trailer are subject to severe road abuse hanging out on the back of a long lever. This can compromise stability and material strengths if not closely planned out. Just not a good place to put equipment you care about.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #12

New Jersey
Here's a shot of my current, less than optimal set-up:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture8009.jpg
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #13

New Jersey
Our bikes are definitely something we care about!
Safety first, convenience second.
I have rooftop mounts for the bikes. The problem for me is twofold: The tug is tall and the bikes are relatively heavy full suspension mountain bikes. They have the newer through axles so putting them on and taking them off the roof entails either a tedious front wheel removal and then reinstall every time, or use of a tray mount system which means lofting the whole bike up there; a really awkward, precarious procedure.
So we went with the tray type hitch mount and Stevebaz's solution. But it's all rather cobbled together and the bikes are just too close to the trailer.
Floyd's solution looks just the ticket! I just don't have the machining tools or skills to build it.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's the one. Thanks for pulling it up, Carol.
Bigfoot Mike also built a very cool rack over his propane tanks.... if I had clue as to how to build racks such as Mike's and Floyd's that is the way I would go.

A company called Arvika sells several types of racks that go over the propane tanks but they are a bit pricy.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Skeenut; did I just meet you at Jekyll?? You won't want to use your current setup with a Casita because that extension throws off the weight limit of your hitch. When carrying our bikes on the rear of our Uhaul I enclose them in a Swagman bike bag. Not a real great item but it worked for one trip. I added extra lights on the bike rack and the high mount stop / turn light.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeenut View Post
Here's a shot of my current, less than optimal set-up:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture8009.jpg
I noticed you are now using a hitch extender. I'm assuming your current trailer is pretty light, since hitch extenders typically reduce the allowable tongue weight significantly due to the lever effect (50%, according to the fine print on one I looked at).

If you upgrade, Casita 17s are really heavy on the hitch, in the 400# range (see http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html), so your current set-up with an extender simply won't work.

Perhaps you could show the pictures of Floyd's and Bigfoot Mike's racks to a metal fabricator and seen what they can do. You shouldn't need a hitch extender with that set-up, but you will need at least 500# of tongue weight capacity on your tow vehicle.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I use a separate bike rack bolted directly to the bumper of my van which has a hole in it for a trailer ball. The trailer is towed with a separate trailer hitch. It lets me carry the bikes away from the parked trailer and the trailer is not affected by the weight when towing.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokra View Post
I use a separate bike rack bolted directly to the bumper of my van which has a hole in it for a trailer ball. The trailer is towed with a separate trailer hitch. It lets me carry the bikes away from the parked trailer and the trailer is not affected by the weight when towing.

I'd be interested in a picture of your set-up. I'm not visualizing what you are describing.