Bike Racks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2006, 02:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I'm looking for a good way to take a couple of bikes with us when towing a Casita using a Chev pickup with a hard cover over the bed. I don't like the idea of mounting the bikes on a rack on the cover - I know they would eventually end up scratching the cover.

I've got a carrier that fits into a 2" receiver. I've seen pictures of the rear bumper of the castia being reinforced and a 2" receiver mounted there. I'd prefer a way of mounting between the truck and trailer, or on the front of the trailer. I heard the web master of this forum had a unique way of doing that but I haven't seen pictures.

Any suggestions?

Brad
Host of the Texas Bluebonnet Rally in April
Texas Bluebonnet Rally Link
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
What I did was install a Pull-Rite hitch on our diesel Blazer. This was done because a Blazer, being a very short wheelbase vehicle is inherently susceptable to sway problems when towing. After installing the new hitch, the distance between the trailer and towing vehicle is approximately 2ft. more than before. That gave room for a rack to be installed on the tailgate of the Blazer for two bikes with plenty of room when towing or solo.

I'm not sure if I would, however, go with a Pull-Rite for the sole advantage of having a method of attaching a couple of bicycles. Kind of a pricy solution.

But if there was any concern about towing stability, I would heartily recommend considering a Pull-Rite.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I heard the web master of this forum had a unique way of doing that but I haven't seen pictures.Brad
Sorry it has taken me a couple days to get back to you. I did get your PM also. Lori and I took a trip to Palm Springs for a long weekend.

I’ll dig up the photos of my bike rack solution. Yes it does mount to the front of the casita.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #4

On my Casita I had several goals I wanted to accomplish; PVC sewer hose holder, Generator compartment, one propane tank, & bike rack. I also extended the tongue 8” so the Tahoe back doors would not hit the Casita tongue jack.

Here are the photos I have. I wish they were better for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRack1.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1174

Basic frame bolts onto the Casita frame (not welded to frame)

Name:	BikeRack2.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1175

The black uprights carry the front tire. The back tire sits in a “U” shaped holder and the front forks are held in place in a standard Yakama type bike holder. You can see the new extended tongue in this photo as well.

Name:	BikeRack3.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1176

My son and Grandkids Washed & Waxed the Casita for my Christmas present. This photo shows the aluminum cover for the generator and propane tanks. Notice the access doors for turning the propane on/off & starting the generator without removing.

Name:	BikeRack4.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1177

First trip to Lake Casita, CA with the new set up.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Mike,

This is exactly what I want to do, except for the tongue extension. Do you have any fabrication details?

Ken
kenlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Mike,

This is exactly what I want to do, except for the tongue extension. Do you have any fabrication details?

Ken
I (my wife) decided we wanted to extend the tongue 8” because of the Tahoe “barn doors”. It gives several benefits: easier to back the trailer, lighter tongue weight, and more room for the doors. It is 3” x 3” x 1/4” wall square tubing.

The bike rack is bolted to the trailer frame with 2 harden 5/16 bolts on each side. I placed a 3” angle iron inside the frame and bolted it on there. I then had something I could take off and put the trailer back to stock.

I welded to the angle iron a cross piece and uprights. The bike racks are standard bike rack front fork brackets. For the back tire, I made a “U” shape from some flat bar and welded it to the rack. I then use Velcro to strap down the back tire.

The two bikes face opposite, one right & one left so they will nestle tightly over the generator /propane box.

As this has evolved, I would do it slightly differently next time. The Gen/propane box could be easier to remove.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #7

Mike,

Sometimes I can be a little dense when it comes to this mechanical construction stuff. I don't quite understand how the bike rack is attached. Are the crossmembers and upright pieces welded together? Is the bike rack and the generator/propane bottle shelf connected? How is the shelf attached to the frame and is there somewhere in this forum that describes the shelf and aluminum box? What materials did you use - the bike rack looks like aluminum. I apologise for all these questions but I really like what you did to your Casita and can't get enough detail from your pictures.

Ken
Old 03-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #8

Attachment 1175

This photo shows how the bike frame is made.

I welded two angle irons acoss to hold the sewer tube and welded the bike frame to that. Note the little braces to the belly band to give a little support.

Are you going to the Oregon Rally? I will be there and can show you in person.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #9

I didn't notice the attachment to the belly band. We would love to join you at the Oregon rally but we are in Ottawa, Canada - North of NY State and it would be quite a haul. One day we would like to take the Casita that far but I need to add the generator and bike rack first. If you get a chance, I would really appreciate some closeup pictures (worth at least a thousand words).

Ken
Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa F
Quote:
I'm looking for a good way to take a couple of bikes with us when towing a Casita using a Chev pickup with a hard cover over the bed. I don't like the idea of mounting the bikes on a rack on the cover - I know they would eventually end up scratching the cover.

I've got a carrier that fits into a 2" receiver. I've seen pictures of the rear bumper of the castia being reinforced and a 2" receiver mounted there. I'd prefer a way of mounting between the truck and trailer, or on the front of the trailer. I heard the web master of this forum had a unique way of doing that but I haven't seen pictures.

Any suggestions?

Brad
Texas Bluebonnet Rally Link
I am having a HUGE issue with what to do with my bikes and I am towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I bought a front end receiver, but it's not going to work out with me (i'm only 5'0) and the bikes are going to be too high for me. Several members of the casitaclub forum use the front end hitch option and like it and some love it.

the website I bought the front end hitch recommended a towing bike rack. It fits in the back receiver and the ball goes on the end. I didn't think this was going to work with me intil... I saw on their site they have a front end spare tire carrier, so now I am thinking of removing the spare tire (when I am towing) and using the front end spare tire carrier, that will allow me to use the towing bike rack, no problem... Just don't know how my little self is going to get the spare off and back on the front of the jeep... It seems like an acceptable option, just don't know if it has been used (one will lose some tongue weight) It might be worth checking out.

The website is: etrailer.com

Good Luck!
Lisa F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
We used a three-bike holder-thingie (from Cdn Tire) on the back of the Boler: works great except when it doesn't, like on washboard-tarmac highways in southern Saskatechewan.

We pulled up to a gas station and the guy sez, "Youse got a flat tire, there," turns out was not on the Tow Vehicle or the Trailer, but on the back-most bike! (It dislodged and was dragged along on bumpy gravel roads!)

Boing boing boing. Scrape. Boing boing boing.

Kid and I were VERY sympathetic that it was Dad's bike tire that got wrecked. "Ooh, that's too bad! See ya later!" (It all went well, kid and I had a nice bike ride, camp fire was started and supper was cooked when we got back, D's tire fixed next morning.)

THAT'S what it's all about.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote