Blast from the Past - 1975 Boler Restoration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I have to add my Kudos along with everyone else. Great work and even the pictures came out pretty doggone good.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
mike I noticed your doing a project yourself hows that going. And hows the glassing and bondoing going hope it all worked out for you. Nat great protect man. I always like when people half the bolers but that's to ambitious for me.
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #23

Name: Jason
Trailer: 75 boler
Saskatchewan
that's going to be one giant window can't wait to see what it looks like when you install it.
sheephills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #24

Texas
Right now I am on temp hold. I had both of my big toe toe nails removed sequentially and I cant bend down on my knees otherwise when I get up all the pressure is on the flex points of my toes and it just messes things up. With that being said all of my fiberglassing is done!!!. Right now I was in the process of removing all of the rusted out screws that were holding the OSB down. Apparently the Casita uses only those dozens of screws to hold the shell to the frame as I dont see any other bolts U or otherwise. So I will replace the back half floor and re-anchor using a flat washer to distribute the hold and then move to the front section. This way I will keep the shell aligned properly. I am pleased with the progress just not the outside 90+ temp and humidity.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #25
Nat

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 75 Boler
B.C.
I could be cutting 800sqft of reclaimed maple into herringbone and making my house livable again... or I could feed my boler addiction!

I'm just kind of winging it as I go, but here's the basic idea of what I'm doing.

Don't mind the duct tape, my piece of plywood had a small curve to it. I took care of that problem.

Basically I cut out the frame, mounted and leveled it until I was happy. cut and resined a few pieces of an old t-shirt to get a platform for the fiberglass. I added a layer of cloth today. By the time I'm done I expect to have a few layers of cloth on the outside and a few layers of mat on the inside, maybe some roving will be added too for extra strength.

I'm happy with where it sits, the top I hope will act as a kind of gutter system, so rain flows away from the window. I'm also planning a wrapped around counter on the inside of that window so the 4'' indentation wont be much of a problem.

The last couple pictures are for if I get bored and feel like tinkering with the brake lights.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image[1].jpg  

image[2].jpg   image[3].jpg  

image[4].jpg   image[5].jpg  

image[6].jpg   image[7].jpg  

image[8].jpg   image[9].jpg  

Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
Nat

B.C.
Question to others who have done extensive work on your trailers. Have you ever exceeded the maximum weight allowance of 2200lbs? Would it be worth upgrading to the torflex #10? Also i couldn't find any measurement on site of the track width of either axle, are they roughly the same?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #27

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
My "slightly" only refers to a few hours, pending on how long it takes the resin to set up.
More than slightly? How much more time do you think we're looking at here Donna?
That sort of job requires an hour a day for 3-4 days, perhaps less time per day. I suggest making templates so each side's shape is a mirror image of the other.

It's easy. Of course I tell myself every job is easy now. It keeps me motivated.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #28

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Given what others trailers tend to look like, I'd say mines in pretty decent shape. Nonetheless it will all be replaced.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend hot dip galvanizing the whole thing when you are done. It is not expensive and you won't have to sandblast the paint off--in the case of an old frame, or sandblast the rust off--if painting. It lasts forever, looks good, and holds up to salt or whatever you throw at it. Cost is 45 cents a pound ( weight if the steel being galvanized) over here.

Something to think about.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #29
Nat

B.C.
Updates of the windows sitting in their frames.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg   image2.jpg  

image3.jpg   image4.jpg  

image5.jpg   image6.jpg  

Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #30
Nat

B.C.
Also open to opinions on either...

American Cherry
or
Brazilian Teak

I'm leaning towards the teak for many reasons, but think the color of the cherry would really liven the place up.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Which wood is lighter in weight and/or take the most abuse?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #32

Texas
Teak wont rot on you. You are very gifted. I feel like I want to put a band aide on her now.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #33
Nat

B.C.
I think I have about 150sqft of Teak, its 3/4" and it weighs about 5lbs per sqft. Its very heavy and very nice wood.

Janka Hardness Test Ranges from soft to hard 22-5060 (pounds-force) = Teak rates 3540

I have 300sqft of Cherry, its 1/4", probably weighs less then 1lbs per sqft. Only real benefit is its light weight and its a much warmer color than the teak.

Janka Hardness Test Ranges from soft to hard 22-5060 (pounds-force) = Cherry rates 995

Just comes down to practicality or warmer looks

Tags
boler