Blue boler pix - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #15

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Great slide show!
I would like to know where that campground is on the Mississippi? I wanna go there
I want your spot right next to the water. Looks like a great place to camp

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #16

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Fantastic slide show. Tune was cool too Great job on the trailer

Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Karalyn--

That park on the Mississippi was truely one of the nicest, most restful places we stopped at on our last cross-country trip.

It is Pettibone Resort in the LaCrosse area of Wisconsin. You can check it out at www.pettiboneresort.com on the web.

Another park I would return to was Lionshead RV resort in the West Yellowstone area. I've had water that tasted good from many places, but the water in this park is truly the best I've ever tasted. They have their own artesian well there. All I can say is amazing!

We're taking off on another cross country venture in March, after a stay at the egg meet in Pahrump, NV. The park there, Terribles RV, is no slouch either, offering great spaces around their big lake, nearby gambling, and a lot of nice folks.

Thanks for all the kudos on the slideshow. It was fun to put together. I'm thinking I might try to document our next trip with more pix, and do it again.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 72 Boler
Can't view either as my puter can't handle thttp format
Lew
Old 03-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #19

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Finally figured out a way to publish a photoshow web page where those interested can see the many mods and good times we've had with our '72 Boler.

Made in Witchita, Kansas, this rig is a little different here and there. But it sure makes a great toy and has harnessed a lot of new acquaintances.

Anyway, fire up http://photoshow.comcast.net/lancemac274 for a LONG photoshow. It will take awhile to load up. There are many photos in high res.

Our 2005 winter mods were cut short because we moved, and are really busy with house remodeling projects. But we did get a new counter, sink and stove. Hope to use it soon.
Lance,

I'm a bit new to this site so this is a bit of a late response. I just saw your bolerweb. What a terrific way to view the renos! Great job on your unit! Looks fabulous!

- Miriam
Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa F
Quote:
Finally figured out a way to publish a photoshow web page where those interested can see the many mods and good times we've had with our '72 Boler.

Made in Witchita, Kansas, this rig is a little different here and there. But it sure makes a great toy and has harnessed a lot of new acquaintances.

Anyway, fire up http://photoshow.comcast.net/lancemac274 for a LONG photoshow. It will take awhile to load up. There are many photos in high res.

Our 2005 winter mods were cut short because we moved, and are really busy with house remodeling projects. But we did get a new counter, sink and stove. Hope to use it soon.
GREAT slideshow. The only thing is I couldn't read the captions b/c they went by too fast
Thanks for sharing
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Lance, congratulations for mods and show !
Old 03-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Hi Lance,

Hey - I really like your under bed storage. Can you tell me a bit more about it please? How did you construct the frame? Are there rollers or wheels on it to help it slide out?

Great job on your renos.

Adele
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Lance, thanks for posting the show with lots of interesting content. Strangely, it failed to play every time I tried it before today.

Lisa, I couldn't catch some captions at first, either, but then I learned the power of the pause button (looks like "||") and the back button to repeat the last picture).

That is one unusual suspension, with a coil spring in torsion (which really means the loops of coil are bending). A coil doesn't have any inherent damping - are there shocks in this setup, Lance? I didn't see any.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Thanks for the kind responses.

Adele, the under-bed storage frame is made from 5/8" aluminum angle, available at most hardware stores or Lowes/Home Depot. I just cut "V" angles and bent to 90 degrees for the bottom and used pop rivets to fasten things together. I used furniture slides (the kind that have a peel and stick back) attached to the aluminum on the bottom. Works fine on a slick-surface floor, but you'd probably want to attach rollers if you were going over carpet.

Brian, I've been trying to find out more about this suspension ever since I got the Boler. No one seems to know anything about it. It doesn't have any dampers or shocks, but then it doesn't bounce a lot either. I'm guessing that it has tork? tubes, but I don't know how to check. It had flanges for brakes, which I added, and I put on 14" wheels and radial car tires, which have more than 5000 miles with no problems.

Well, we're off tomorrow morning for another cross-country trip in the boler, heading across the sourthern deserts, the gulf coast, florida, up the coast to Maryland and back across the midsection, hwy 40. Hope to see some of you along the way. I'll take a lot of pix and post another show later in the summer.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #25

Alberta
Quote:
...Brian, I've been trying to find out more about this suspension ever since I got the Boler. No one seems to know anything about it. It doesn't have any dampers or shocks, but then it doesn't bounce a lot either. I'm guessing that it has tork? tubes, but I don't know how to check. It had flanges for brakes, which I added, and I put on 14" wheels and radial car tires, which have more than 5000 miles with no problems...
Thanks for the additional information. All I have is the photos, but it looks like the hubs are carried on trailing arms, which are functionally just like the arms of a rubber torsion axle system, but they happen to be made of tubing with two 90 degree bends. My guess is that it works in one of two ways:
  1. The tube across the frame is [b]fixed (doesn't rotate) and serves as an anchor for inboard end of each spring; the other (outboard) end of each spring is then attached to the arm, so for the arm to move up (compress the suspension) the spring has to wind up. The arms must then pivot in the tube. This would be completely independent, just like a rubber torsion suspension, and is essentially the same idea with steel coils instead of rubber rods.
  2. the tube across the frame could be allowed to [b]rotate in the frame brackets, with the arms rigidly fixed to it; the inboard end of each spring would then attach to this tube; the other (outboard) end of each spring is then attached the bracket on the frame, so for the arm to move up (compress the suspension and rotate the tube) both springs have to wind up. This would also be independent, because the alignment of each arm is separate, but would mean the arms are linked by a very stiff anti-sway bar, because they couldn't move different amounts without twisting the tube. This is like the linked trailing arms of many automotive rear suspensions (including my Toyota van), but with strangely mounted springs.
The way to tell which scheme is used is to make one side of the trailer move up and down enough to see the arm moving while watching the tube across the frame and the springs to see what moves with the arm. My guess is that it is design #2, and the tube will move with the arms, while the outboard end of each spring stays anchored in the bracket.

In the end, I guess all that matters is that it works, but I'm still curious.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
That axle design looks VERY much like that which can be found on older Scotty trailers.

Here's a page that shows a fix for bad bushings.

Another page that has a picture of the same type of axle. Scroll down about halfway.

They are described as "Linco" axles, but I did some websearching and found just about zero on them. There is a company named Linco that does agricultural equipment; perhaps they used to also make light duty trailer axles, as well.

The axle is free to pivot in the bearing blocks, which hold one end of the spring. The other end is attached to the axle. The axle itself acts as an anti-roll bar. This setup is similar to that of a twist-beam rear axle from a front-wheel drive car, except that the spring is located coaxially with the axle - reducing the space required to package the unit. Neat! I wonder why this isn't used more often?

I wonder if replacing the automotive radial tires with trailer-specific ST tires would be a worthwhile change, as well. Conventinal wisdom says that it would, but experience is the best guide.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #27

Alberta
Great info, Lee! Looks like my #2 guess was right, confirmed by the axle rotating in bushings as shown in your first link and confirmed in your description.

I think the neat thing about this design, compared to other trailer systems, is the roll stiffness, which I think these tall (compared to cars) trailers need.

Quote:
...This setup is similar to that of a twist-beam rear axle from a front-wheel drive car, except that the spring is located coaxially with the axle - reducing the space required to package the unit. Neat! I wonder why this isn't used more often? ...
This is the same scheme used in many very small applications such as lids that a spring-loaded closed. The biggest springs I have seen used this way are the ones which counterbalance the weight of a normal sectional garage door.
I know of two reasons why it isn't used more:
  1. The wire of the springs in this design is forced to bend to resist deflection, while in a conventional coil mounting (the spring is under end-to-end compression), the wire is twisted by deflection. The twising motion more efficiently uses the metal of the spring, so the conventional mounting requires a lighter spring for a given force.
  2. If a coil spring is mounted near the hub in a suspension, the suspension arms (the bent-back parts of the tube in the Scotty-Linco-Lance'sBoler design) only need to locate the axle; in this setup the arms have to carry all of the weight, the anchoring bracket is under a lot of stress, and the arm pivot carries weight. The same disadvantages apply to automotive torsion bar suspensions, which is why they are now rarely used (only some 4x4 pickups in need of design updates still use them).
Hmmm... I wonder if that was intended to be a rhetorical question?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Heh. Partially rhetorical, partially not.

That make sense. I suppose you still would have to locate a shock somewhere, at least for automotive use. Not sure why you can get away without them on trailers. I know the rubber torsion axles don't need it like the metal springs do because of the design, but even conventionally-sprung trailers don't usualy have shocks.

Tags
boler