Old 04-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...That make sense. I suppose you still would have to locate a shock somewhere, at least for automotive use. Not sure why you can get away without them on trailers. I know the rubber torsion axles don't need it like the metal springs do because of the design, but even conventionally-sprung trailers don't usualy have shocks.
A favourite topic of mine...

The conventional wisdom is that rubber-sprung trailer suspensions don't need shocks because the rubber is [b]inherently self-damping due to hysteresis (some of the energy absorbed on compression is not release on extension, but instead dissipated). While that has some validity, I notice that the few cars which have been built with rubber springs (most notably the real Mini) still use hydraulic shock absorbers, and Airstream even puts shocks on their trailers with rubber torsion suspensions.

Assuming that "conventionally-sprung" means leaf springs, well, they have their own damping, too. Multi-leaf springs have [b]friction between the leaves, which provides some (poor damping); single-leaf springs when used on trailers use a sliding mount on one end (instead of a pivoting shackle) so they have sliding friction for damping, too. In cars and light trucks, inter-leaf friction is recognized as bad, and addressed with friction-reducing layers and a minimal number of leaves.

Finally, trailers are so stiff that much of the suspension deflection occurs in the [b]tires, which are somewhat damped. Basically, trailers "get away" without shocks because they are stiff, and aiming for a very low standard of performance. I don't think heavy trucks universally got shocks until they went to air springs; when they had many-leaf springs (now rare in except in medium-duties), inter-leaf friction was the only damping.

I certainly noticed that lack of shocks in this novel coil-spring setup. I suspect that vertical bouncing is just tolerated, side-to-side rolling motions are so severly restricted by the high roll stiffness that the suspension damping doesn't matter much compared to the tires, and the bushings that the tube turns in probably have a pile of friction, adding some damping.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Wow!!! have just gotten into the 20th century and out of dial-up so of course had to see the great blue bloer show.
wow!!
lance, if you two would like to stop on your current trip i would love to have you stay for a time. my friend denise who has an old trailer would love to find someone with your skills to help her get it on the road. she is a frequent visitor to this forum and her decorating of the trailer is fantastic. unfortunately, the basic problem seems to be the support of the flooring.
it would be so great to get the opinion of a disinterested party as to how to proceed. the rv places are too busy to bother with a little fg trailer and they have discouraged her.
Harpers ferry is a great place to visit with all the parks nearby and D.C. and Baltimore each just 60 miles away. if you are anywhere near on this trip please contact me if you can spend a day or so.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #31

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
now if i can just learn how to use the smilies so they show up "in person" instead of showing up "banana banana" alice
Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #32

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Note to Lee --

We're out on our cross=country trip on the east coast now, and went to a campground in Florida where they had an old Scotty trailer. Checked out the axle, and it's a dead match for the one on my Boler. I'm guessing someone added a crossbar and welded on the axle sometime before the last owners had it. No trouble with the setup, so far.

Re the radial tires -- I'm up to 12,000 miles so far, and they show no wear or sidewall stress. I check them after long runs, and they are cool to the touch. So I'm not too impressed by those who think using them is a bad idea. They are about half the price of "trailer" tires.

A long run like this (about 6,500 miles when we're done) brings out new ideas for renovations. We met some folks in Savanna with a Boler who made some great doors that opened to the areas where the dinette seats are in the back from the outside. Nice touch for accessible storage. I'd like to add a reel of some sort that would bring in the electric cable. Front stabilizers would be nice. Some additional upper storage, like a shelf across the back, would be nice.

I'm still trying to figure out the banana!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #33

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Alice, before you hit reply and below where you type your message, you need to make certain the "Enable Emotiocons" check box is checked. I fixed your first post.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #34

Alberta
Quote:
...Re the radial tires -- I'm up to 12,000 miles so far, and they show no wear or sidewall stress. I check them after long runs, and they are cool to the touch. So I'm not too impressed by those who think using them is a bad idea. They are about half the price of "trailer" tires...
I am also generally unimpressed by the idea of "trailer-specific" tires; however, in the stock size it is usually difficult to find a passenger car tire with [b]adequate load capacity. Trailer (ST) and light truck (LT) tires routinely run at higher than 35 PSI inflation pressure (if load range C or higher), while passenger car tires are generally not available in higher-pressure versions; since load capacity is fundamentally dependent on pressure, that limits car tire capacities.

Lance, can you tell us what the complete spec for the 14" car tires is, complete with load index? For instance, a "P185/70R14 87T" has a load index of "87", and a speed rating of "T".

There's certainly nothing wrong with radial tires, for just about any application. The most common recommendation I have seen in this forum is for the Goodyear Marathon, which is available only as a radial.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #35

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
On the topic of helical torsion spring axles.....

I ran across this ad: http://boston.craigslist.org/for/153474185.html

[quote]UTILITY TRAILER AXLE-HEAVY DUTY $50 BUCKS - $50 - $50
Reply to: sale-153474185@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-04-22, 8:32AM EDT

THIS IS A TRAILER AXLE FOR A UTILITY TYPE TRAILER. IT'S A 6 LUGS HUB. BUILT IN SPRINGS AND REAL HEAVY DUTY. PRICE IS $50 FIRM.

IF INTERESTED,, EMAIL ME AND I CAN ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS... TY- PETE

Name:   Linco_axle_1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  17.8 KB

Name:   Linco_axle_2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  22.3 KB

I think we have a match...
Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #36

Alberta
Quote:
...I think we have a match...
It certainly does look like a match, and the ad photos are very clear. Great spotting, Lee!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #37

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Lance, I guess this slide show is not available any more. Just curious about taking a look at your modifications.
Thanks..
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #38

Oregon
Quote:
Lance, I guess this slide show is not available any more. Just curious about taking a look at your modifications.
Thanks..
Oh no! Comcast quit supporting Photoshow on March 31. I had Lance's Blue Boler bookmarked, because he had the slickest A/C mod I think I've ever seen. This is the problem with hosting pictures on other sites, when they go down... we lose them here as well. I'll see if I can send Lance an e-mail too.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #39

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Ontario
Thanks Donna
Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #40

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I'll see if I can send Lance an e-mail too.
Donna,
Did you get a response from Lance?
His mods are too good to be lost forever in a digital black hole.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #41

Oregon
Quote:
Donna,
Did you get a response from Lance?
His mods are too good to be lost forever in a digital black hole.
Yes I did, and he said he'd work on getting the pictures uploaded somewhere else. He was surprised so many people were looking.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #42

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thanks to both of you.

Tags
boler