Boat Foam backed Headliner material vs Ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Name: Hughe
Trailer: Trillium 76
British Columbia
Boat Foam backed Headliner material vs Ensolite?

I'm starting to research materials to use in my trillium other than the ensolite. Has anyone used foam backed headliner material. It's normally used for boats but has all the properties I'm looking for. Easy to install (3M spray on), mold & mildew resistant, durable & easy to clean, also fire retardant. I can't think of any negatives. Everyone it seems to me is sold on using the ensolite product. But I'm wondering about other products.
Any thought would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
hrose414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure what the material is you are referring to. Could you post some information or a link?

I am personally sold on Scamp's current method, which consists of a layer of foil-bubble insulation (like Reflectix) covered with marine hull liner fabric. It's a two-stage process, but the materials appear to be relatively easy to work with, widely available, and reasonably priced. It feels warm and soft to the touch, resists stains, mildew, and condensation, and is very durable.

I'm not sure what Escape uses, but it's some kind of foam-backed vinyl. Owners praise its durability and washability.

By most accounts I've read, Ensolite is more challenging to install. It's worth preserving if you already have it, but not the material of choice if starting over from scratch.

The real question is why you want to change if your Trillium already has Ensolite. You're looking at a major project to remove the old, clean the surface, and install something different. There's a lot that can be done to clean, patch, and improve the appearance of the existing Ensolite.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
marine headliner

In the fall I removed all that Ensolite. in the meantime I have done my research to find that marine headliner and hull liner is a nice product. I feel that the headliner material will be a beautiful and durable finish to my Boler that I have gone ahead and bough enough to do the job. In fact it should arrive tomorrow or wednesday. On all the lower areas like below bench and inside cupboards I will be using a hull liner type material (stuff they use on boom boxes and subwoofers etc). I had a tour of the Escape trailer factory back in September. They use Reflectix type materials their insulation but the cover material escapes me. Check out the escape forum and see if anyone there can give you a little more insight as to what they use.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I'm interested in the process,too. My Trillium came to me with no liner, painted inside. My wife repainted with a tinted binder/primer- mostly to change the color from dark grey. I'm still a little worried whether the glue will stick.

That job is a ways off, I guess. First i have to reset all the windows.

Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
I'm interested too. My Trillium has the original ensolite and it is in reasonable shape, but I am putting in a Queen bed and some of the bare wall is revealed. I could order some ensolite, but if something more comfortable and pleasing came along I would go with it. The ensolite makes me feel like I've been sent to the rubber room. I think I may take your lead and go look at the marine products. I wonder about bonding a marine headliner over the ensolite??

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #6

Ontario
Headliner arrived

Well it's here. Enough headliner material to complete the entire interior of my boler. The foam is not as dense as ensolite and the cover material is more of a material. It reminds me of the headliner in my Toyota Sienna van. I will admit that it will not likely be as durable as the ensolite but I don't have any kids that may bang or mark it up. I do believe it will be more cosy and have a warmer feeling to it as opposed to the rubber like feel I got from the ensolite. i want the boler to be comfortable and inviting. I will post pics once it is installed. That may not be for another month if it stays this cold for much longer.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

British Columbia
Can't wait to see the pictures! Slimmit are you using any insulation? What company did you order from?
I'm trying to track down the material I had initially found that was headliner material with a foam backing.
There are a few videos I've been looking at that is the 3M adhesive, what do you plan on using?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Ontario
After reading some forum bits on the reflectix, it would appear not worth the money, so no I'm not planning any insulation. I originally found the marine headliner at sail rite in the US. However I found a distributor in Midland Ontario that sells similar. The place is called JT's outdoor fabrics and the headliner is sunbrite 60" wide. Many many colours to choose from. Probably gonna look at the same distributor for the cushion material too.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #9

British Columbia
Ok found it. I realized just now it's a UK company but I'm sure I could order it in.

http://www.toomerandhayter.co.uk/products/?cat=2

There are a few reasons I want to change out the ensolite, first it's coming off/torn in place (previous owner tried removing some & gave up), plain looking, I'd like something a bit more comfortable (warmer-totally feels like a rubber padded room). I want to rewire the trailer as well so to do that it would have to come off.

I figure if it's good on a boat it'll work perfect in a trailer, especially in our NW climate.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #10

Ontario
Gonna use 3m super 77 spray adhesive
Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Name: Fay
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hi did a Reno on my boler two years ago using reflextic and hull liner. The reflextic stayed on great on the walls but had to recluse the roof as it seems to be heating up in the sun but after using industrial glue from the car shop everything was good. The hull liner is great it is stain mold and mildew resistant and goes on easy. I picked this up at the marine shop. Boler is plenty warm and no issues so far.

Fay Wambolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
Fay I'm considering using hull liner as well. Nice to hear you've had good luck with. What type of industrial glue did you use?

ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
For gluing up headliners I suggest finding a local auto upholstery shop and find out what they use when hanging headliners. For the most part, at least in Southern California, common spray glues, like 3M, are not the weapons of choice.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Nova Scotia
I have two thoughts the 3m super 77 was great for the walls when gluing the reflextic but did not work well on the roof. I went to my local auto glass shop that does upholstery and they sold me some of their industrial glue. This worked the biggest problem is the heat that generates on the roof. If you are insulating and I recommend you do just make sure that the bond is good before adding the hull liner.
Cheers

Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #15

Nova Scotia
Sorry the can they sold me was just a number no name and I was so greatful to not have to just tear down my work my questions were limited.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #16

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
At this point I'm considering using headliner to finish the interior walls on my 1974 13' Boler. Does anyone have an idea as to how many square yards of material it takes to cover the walls? I'm sure that information is on here but I'm not finding.
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #17

Nova Scotia
Just google the sq footage I used 6 by 12 for each wall and ceiling had plenty left over I paid 200 dollars

Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Take a look at this stuff I found at home depot as we remodel our Boler...

1/16 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Plastic Panel-63003 - The Home Depot

We were going to go with a rubber type roll insulation or the silver "bubble wrap" stuff and go over that with foam backed auto headliner...then we found the stuff above....

It is extremely flexible and water proof, and is not brittle...and they have molding for the seams in between pieces and round edges...very inexpensive stuff too...seems like it would be very durable and easy to clean...

If you should go with auto headliner don't buy at an auto parts store...go to a fabric store it is much cheaper and they have a better selection...we found a huge assortment of colors at Hancock Fabrics Foam Backed Automotive Headliner Fabric - Desert - Headliner Fabric and a roll 60" wide was about $15 a linear yard and you can get coupons for it for up to half off!

I like the headliner just fine but I don't think it will stay clean with a 2 year old boy camping in the woods so we thought the plastic panel sheets would work better & easier to keep clean, we are even going to use it to line our shower walls on the boler... I have another post on my rebuild here if you want to look:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-68675.html
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Escape trailers use a foam-backed vinyl on the walls & ceiling of their trailers, good for R5 insulating. Dunno what they use to glue it on with, though.

A friend in Arizona used this, has held up for 8 years so far:

http://www.yourautotrim.com/daphitesphea.html

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Interesting... We bought a Scamp that was basically a shell last November. Previous owner ripped out all the rat fur (!) so it just has the reflectix-type insulation in it--which is still sticking well to walls and ceiling.

I just ordered marine headliner/hull liner fabric today and I've heard that 3M-90 is recommended as the adhesive.

I was going to have this work done by an auto upholstery shop, but we're so over budget now, we'll do it ourselves. I'm not too intimidated at the thought of doing the walls, but the longest stretch will be the ceiling and that concerns me as a DIY project.
artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote