Boler 1300 water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Boler 1300 water tank

Hi all, does anyone know about the fresh water tanks that were originally in the 13foot Bolers? Mine was removed by the PO and I want to put a tank in for boondocks and dry camps. I am also looking for a faucet with a Manuel hand pump. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
I found a fair duplicate of the original pump at a local RV store. Easy to install and works just fine.
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:00 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Hi all, does anyone know about the fresh water tanks that were originally in the 13foot Bolers? Mine was removed by the PO and I want to put a tank in for boondocks and dry camps. I am also looking for a faucet with a Manuel hand pump. Thanks in advance.

Scamp sells the closet to original and will fit the same as what originally came in the Boler (Scamp made Bolers for the first year or two before their own model & molds are nearly identical) but I choose to buy mine off eBay and went with a larger tank (16 gallons $39 new & FDA approved and their 10 gallon is only $24.99) and for much less than Scamps 10 or 12 gallon. I mounted mine different than original so check the area & measure where you are going to put it to make sure the one you get will fit. The quality seems fine but I didn't have the original tank to compare to as the PO had removed it.

Here's the link where I bought mine:
16 Gallon Fresh Water Tank camper Horse Trailer Concession | eBay
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Hi, thanks for the input. I will check these out. Is 16 gallons the biggest tank that will fit in my Boler?

Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Depending on the year of your Boler and where it was manufactured the water tank was located either under the floor of the raised dinette area or in the kitchen side dinette seat inside the trailer.

When I got my Boler the original water tank was broken so I designed an external water reservoir which works great, I would never go back to a fixed water reservoir in my Boler. Here are the instructions on how I built it, External Water Reservoir
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #6

Deep South
The 16 gallon fits in mine just fine but I redesigned the layout turning my front bunk 90 degrees where the original kitchenette was and place the tank under the bunk. Had I left the bunk in its original position I would have had to put the 10 or 12 gallon there or relocate the larger tank underneath the dinette seat in the rear like Ian spoke about. Another thing to consider with the larger tanks is the weight of the water when full and where they are located as these variable can change the tongue weight and if the overall weight is not properly distributed could potentially cause sway issues too. For where mine located and only going 6 gallons larger I am not changing these relationships too much.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I would never place the tank under the original bunk (I know you changed your layout Johnny) That would place considerable weight on the tongue, The closer to the axle you can locate heavy items the better.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This is what I have for a hand pump. LINK
Old 08-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Hi, thanks for the input. I will check these out. Is 16 gallons the biggest tank that will fit in my Boler?
Keep in mind that the bigger the tank, the heavier when filled (@ 8 lbs/gal), and the greater the effect on balance and towing stability. The smaller and lighter a trailer, the more a few pounds in the wrong place matter. Behind the axle and you compromise towing stability. In front of the axle and you accelerate fatigue and stress on the frame-tongue transition, a known weak spot.

Personally, I'd stick with no more than 10 gal in the trailer. If more is needed for extended boondocking, carry extra 5 gal jugs in the tow vehicle (as far forward as practical).

Pay attention to left-right balance as well as front-back balance when contemplating changes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #10

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I would never place the tank under the original bunk (I know you changed your layout Johnny) That would place considerable weight on the tongue, The closer to the axle you can locate heavy items the better.
To my understanding this is where the original 10 gallon tank was located on some bolers, is this not correct? I know some were mounted under the rear dinette. The issue with the weight in the rear can introduce sway problems.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Quote:
To my understanding this is where the original 10 gallon tank was located on some bolers, is this not correct? I know some were mounted under the rear dinette. The issue with the weight in the rear can introduce sway problems.
The original water tank was NEVER installed in the front, it was either in the left rear dinette seat or under the floor under the rear dinette, both these locations used 10 gallon tanks and both were mounted behind the axle. The only item under the front bunk area was the porta-potty.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

Deep South
Quote:
The original water tank was NEVER installed in the front, it was either in the left rear dinette seat or under the floor under the rear dinette, both these locations used 10 gallon tanks and both were mounted behind the axle. The only item under the front bunk area was the porta-potty.
Thanks for the correction Ian, I could have swore I saw a photo of one under the left side front bunk but I guess I was mistaken as I can't find it now...oh well, the tank is sitting right above the frame behind the tongue but I haven't permanently mounted it yet. I considered the rear mount but decided to go forward to reduce running long water lines and to move the water weight forward (see why below)...I guess I could mount it under the dinette floor but I will have to check the ground clearance with my tank...

I personally would rather have it forward if my frame can handle it even if I need to go back and do some more reinforcing. I don't believe my tongue weight will be too much but I will fill it up and check it just to compare.

The reason why I prefer the water weight forward as possible is because of water movement when in tow...if you have a tank that is not empty or not completely full that water can slosh to one side or the other or even front to back, with that water at the rear on such a light weight trailer it could introduce swaying...same reason why in the fire service they put baffle plates inside the fire trucks water tanks to stop the water from shifting particularly since they are apt to make sudden movements when responding to an emergency...with the tank forward there is less chance of swaying even over a tank mounted right behind the axle...also for anyone interested it is always a good idea to tow with your tank empty or full rather than half full (water can't slosh if the tank is full or empty) and the force of half a tank of water sloshing to one side and then back again can be a significant force at highway speeds (the larger the tank the more significant the force) especially in a situation where you might have to swerve to miss something in the roadway...

I am not an engineer however from 25 years of driving fire trucks and knowing how they handle with water tanks at different levels this was an influencing factor on my decision to my tank placement (and size)...
Old 08-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #13

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Depending on the year of your Boler and where it was manufactured the water tank was located either under the floor of the raised dinette area or in the kitchen side dinette seat inside the trailer.

When I got my Boler the original water tank was broken so I designed an external water reservoir which works great, I would never go back to a fixed water reservoir in my Boler. Here are the instructions on how I built it, External Water Reservoir
Ian, I love this plan. I've always felt a bit weird about drinking water from a tank, even if it's been sanitized.

But one question... what about washing up? I'd hate to use drinking water to wash dishes. That's what the tank water is pretty good for. What do you use?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Ian, I love this plan. I've always felt a bit weird about drinking water from a tank, even if it's been sanitized.

But one question... what about washing up? I'd hate to use drinking water to wash dishes. That's what the tank water is pretty good for. What do you use?
I use the same water. We mostly boondock and have learned to conserve water, the 5 gallon external reservoir lasts us about 4 days and that includes washing dishes. The external tank is super easy to refill so when you run out just refill from either a local water source (re: garden hose) or a 5 gallon bottled water container.

On another note we just bought a new Escape 19', the water from the fresh water tank tastes like plastic even though it is new. We use the onboard water for washing and flushing and carry drinking water in out Boler external reservoir in the TV.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
The reason why I prefer the water weight forward as possible is because of water movement when in tow...if you have a tank that is not empty or not completely full that water can slosh to one side or the other or even front to back, with that water at the rear on such a light weight trailer it could introduce swaying...same reason why in the fire service they put baffle plates inside the fire trucks water tanks to stop the water from shifting particularly since they are apt to make sudden movements when responding to an emergency...with the tank forward there is less chance of swaying even over a tank mounted right behind the axle
I can see your concern (I have driven liquid tankers and know the feeling of half filled tanks very well) but I don't think the quantify of water is enough to create any problem. On any trailer I own (within the last 3 years a Casita with a 25 gal fresh tank and my current Escape 19' with a 19 gal fresh tank) both I often only traveled with 1/2 full tanks and never experienced any sway problems or even sensation from partially filled tanks. I would be concerned on the Boler about too much weight on the tongue area as this will put additional load on the front section of the frame which is known as a problem area.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #16

Deep South
You are probably right about the small quantity of water but it is not the everyday pulling I worry about but the rare situation where you might have to swerve to avoid another vehicle, deer, etc. that the water weight or shift could pose a problem...since your post Ian I have had another look at my frame in that area behind the tongue known for being a weak spot...on the original frame is there any triangle shaped metal bracing under this area? Mine has it on both sides and I am not sure if it was added to reinforce this area or if it was done at the factory...I will see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow so you can see what exactly I am referring to. I am thinking it was reinforced at some point but maybe not

Tags
boler