Boler 1700 refresh. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Very interesting project Herb.You mentioned one maybe two batteries.I use 2-6volt batteries.Best power decision i ever made.With your solar power unit you would be good for a long time.
Well, I'll probably go for 2 12V batteries just for practicality... First, I still have 2 deep cycle group 24 UPS batteries... Also, since one of my trucks is a diesel, if my truck batteries dies, I can boost my truck from them; and finally, I can rewire them in series and use them for emergency welding ... Additionally, if one of them drops a cell, then I can still get a full 12V out of the second one whereas if I have 2 6V batteries and one of them drops a cell, then everything will be running at half power and it's not clear whether the furnace fan running at 6V would be enough to clear the heat out of the combustion chamber of the furnace... I can probably still last a few days out in the bush with the solar charger topping up a single 12V battery than with a single 6V battery that I can't charge with my solar charger.

Anyway, that's my theory.. I don't know how truly valid it is.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta

Herb, now I feel like I have neglected my B1700! Nice work!

I particularly like the reworked spare mount: I think that the stock design places the tire unnecessarily far back.

The dual 12V battery logic makes perfect sense to me. Dual 6V batteries intended for golf cart service seem to be very readily available at good prices, which is a good reason to use them, but the same type and total size of battery in 12V has the same performance. One caution: with two batteries in parallel, care should be taken to keep the wiring to them identical in resistance, to encourage balanced operation.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 73 Boler 1300
Things are coming along nicely Herb, good job on the updates. Don't worry about the porch light... As for the rubberized rock guard, I taped and resprayed the front of the 1300 2 weeks ago and while it did go on beautifully, delivering back to the storage site managed to knock a few flecks free showing the marine paint underneath, for undercoating spray the stuff doesn't stick all that well, anyhow a good touch up every few months should restore the luster. Its only 6$ / can anyhow.

Your 55W solar panel plan should charge the 2x 12V batteries nicely, I picked up a 15W panel at Walmart for $99 (Can Tire wants 165$, sheesh) and a charge controller and managed to charge the 2x12V batteries on the 1300 40% (from 40% charge to 80% charge) last week just laying it on the front rack facing straight up. Last week was quite overcast as well. Based on my super low power consumption I'm thinking that it will suffice for my needs.

Here's to hoping you can get it all done by the time your first camping trip rolls around.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #18

Thanks for the encouragement ....

So, has anyone done anything to isolate the furnace from the chassis so as to reduce the noise from the furnace fan? When the fan is on, the whole trailer sort of 'hums' because the furnace is bolted straight to the chassis ... I'm thinking of isolating it somehow but not really sure how yet...
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #19
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Herb, Find some of those round rubber pads with a bolt hole in the middle that come from packing crates that machinery is shipped in. Or something similar. They usually throw them out.
The diaphram pump I installed in our Boler has rubber mounts.
I used some on the legs of my 80 gallon vertical compressor rather than bolting it to the floor. What a difference in the noise level! Also it doesn't move around at all.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Herb, Find some of those round rubber pads with a bolt hole in the middle that come from packing crates that machinery is shipped in. Or something similar. They usually throw them out.
yeah, that's sort of what I was picturing... I should head off to the dump and find an old refrigerator and grab the rubber mounts off the compressor. I'm curious whether that's going to reduce the noise level enough.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #21
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Don't get too hung up on eliminating the noise entirely, but you can reduce it by quite a bit, from damned annoying to just slightly annoying!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Don't get too hung up on eliminating the noise entirely, but you can reduce it by quite a bit, from damned annoying to just slightly annoying!
I want to make sure the heater doesn't drown out the campground crows at 5AM.

:-)
Old 05-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #23

Been another week and I've been busy again though a lot of what I've done is not really visible or substantive ... I took the day off work yesterday to make it a 4 day long weekend of work in the trailer ... June 15th is creeping up...

The stove vent was a particular irritation to me. It's such a simple thing yet somehow, some previous bonehead managed to screw it up... The fan wouldn't come on unless the light was on. I'm not sure what neural dysfunction caused someone to rewire it that way but it's fixed now. I also removed the remnants of the wasp nest that was in it and sealed the inside of the vent with bugscreen to prevent future penetration by the insect set ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5457.sized.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	7850

There was an AC plug under the dinette, the purpose of which I couldn't deduce considering there is also one on the front of the kitchen counter. It's hard to reach and I figure if I really must have the toaster to hand while having breakfast, I'll hire a therapist. So I moved the outlet to an even more difficult to reach spot to accomodate the battery charger under the sink. I figure there can be no problem putting an electrical outlet next to a hot water heater.

Name:	IMG_5458.sized.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	7851

I finally managed to get the scissor jacks of my dreams and welded them into place. I discovered that a person can either pull up a beach mat and spend some quality time lowering these by hand with the crank they provide, or I can carry a cordless drill with me.
I have a Ryobi drill and a vacuum cleaner that both take the same kind of battery. I think I'll add a little storage place just for the drill and vacuum (and hand crank).

Name:	IMG_5459.sized.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	7852

...continued.....
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #24

As part of my rethink of the electrical system, I found a new cable hatch (why do manufacturers think you want to have a gigantic opening in which to hang an insect highway on the inside storage compartment of your trailer?) and epoxied in a household 30A 125V male connector. I almost put the wrong gender of connector in there, I got so far as to mix the epoxy and had it all fitted on my bench before I realized my horrible mistake.

Name:	IMG_5460.sized.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	7853

The previous tongue jack was missing its platform and the crank interfered with my spare tire carrier so it needed to move. I was going to move it to my bbq/cooler rack (future installment of this topic) but wasn't able to find a happy mount mechanism. This one was $29 and I could simply weld it to the side of the tongue. I added a half inch steel plate to reinforce the area before welding the jack in place. It has lots of lift and best of all, the handle comes off easily so I can use my drill to raise/lower it.

Name:	IMG_5461.sized.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7855

I ran out of 'spare matching wood' for the various cabinets so I bought some of that fiberglass sheet they sell at Home Depot. It looks decent and clean... I mounted it on the front of side gaucho bunk. Looks 'ok'. I think I'm going to re-face those doors in the same material some day plus add another little storage door for the vacuum cleaner and drill to the left there.

Name:	IMG_5462.sized.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	7856

Gonna be a busy rest of the weekend so I'll be back to post more ...
Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #25

This weekend I spent a lot of time not really accomplishing anything... I did build 90% of my front storage rack... I like having 2 batteries and I figure they put two propane tanks on the 1700 for good reason, and finally, I like having our beverages and such stored out of the trailer so we're not waking our kid up after he goes to bed. Plus, there's never room in the fridge. I also like somewhere to put the bbq for both travel and cooking. This rack worked really well on the 1300 so here we are:

Name:	IMG_5464.sized.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	7939

I still have to build the swing out tray for the bbq as well as devise some way to secure the propane tanks..

Also did some basic fiberglassing. The previous owner must have backed into a tree trunk or something. Sadly, his idea of 'fix' was to cover the crack with bondo and paint it with tremclad. The bondo didn't stick but created a nice ledge for water to collect on and seep into the rear storage compartment. So I ground away all the bondo and applied 3 layers of fiberglass cloth... When it stops snowing, I'll sand it flush, finish with a skim coat of body filler and temporarily paint it until I do the final paint...

Name:	IMG_5465.sized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	7940

I also dismantled the horrible arborite job in the kitchen. There was 2 layers of arborite with curious seams all over the place... Purple/blue doesn't go with brown...

Name:	IMG_5397.sized.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	7941

It's going to be nice and simple white with oak trim.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #26

A lot of work happened this weekend. My father came over and helped with the insulation/headliner and the arborite. We managed to do all the insulation, then all the headliner, and all the arborite/backsplash in a single 12 hour day with a brief stop for lunch and support... On Sunday, I did some final cosmetic touchup on the headliner, (add a few chunks where some of our borders came up a little short, blend some seams, cleanup some glue strings), plus added the counter top moldings, and got a start on the electrical. I also replaced the fridge door panel with some of that fiberglass sheeting.

Name:	IMG_5466.sized.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	7999
Old 05-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #27

...and looking forward... here you can see the fiberglass sheet I used to replace the old wooden 'backsplash' in the front dinette. I asked myself whether to bother or not. I could have just mounted the table right onto the plywood behind the insulation but then the fuzzy stuff would get dirty whenever we wiped the table or ate spaghetti, or what have you...

As you can see, I made a measuring error while cutting this but I think the cushions will hide it. If not, I can fix it for the cost of another 4x8 sheet...

Name:	IMG_5468.sized.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	8003

Right now the sink is just sitting in there. I'll need to seal it as well.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #28

Floor is almost done. Still missing some mouldings and have to size the doors to fit still....

Name:	IMG_5470.sized.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	8059

Name:	IMG_5471.sized.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	8060

Tags
boler