Boler 1700 refresh. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #41

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
The egress window in my B1700RGH is the rear one, over the gaucho. It's just a normal horizontal slider, but it is the largest, and is designated as the emergency exit by a label. It would be an awkward exit, but I'd take it rather than stay in a fire, for instance.

I don't know if the Side Gaucho B1700 has a similarly designated window, but the street side dinette window looks like the same size (and type) as my rear window.
The kitchen window on the side gaucho is designated as the emergency exit though I tried to lift the glass panel out and couldn't...

I'm pretty sure I could find multiple ways out of the trailer in the event of a real emergency. Back window included...

So far, this trailer is proving to be a real source of 'learning experiences'.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
The kitchen window on the side gaucho is designated as the emergency exit though I tried to lift the glass panel out and couldn't...
Given that the kitchen is along the street side, this is the same window which I referred to as the street side dinette window; we seem to be on the same track.

I don't think the panes lift out readily - I assume that they just expect you to go out the normally opening part. It's not like the real egress windows as found in buses (and modern RVs?), in which a red handle releases the whole thing to swing out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Given that the kitchen is along the street side, this is the same window which I referred to as the street side dinette window; we seem to be on the same track.

I don't think the panes lift out readily - I assume that they just expect you to go out the normally opening part. It's not like the real egress windows as found in buses (and modern RVs?), in which a red handle releases the whole thing to swing out.
Yes, you're right... We are talking about the same window. I have trouble with 'curb side' and 'street side' for some reason... "port" and "starboard" works for me though. :-)
Old 06-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #44

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Herb, your snapshot of the camper ought to make home page status. We always show our rigs in lovely backgrounds. But sometimes, reality intrudes.

Oh Michael (or whoever selects the home page pics), what about it? It would reflect the hardyness of the fiberglass camper, and stress its "all seasons" capability.
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Herb, your snapshot of the camper ought to make home page status. We always show our rigs in lovely backgrounds. But sometimes, reality intrudes.

Oh Michael (or whoever selects the home page pics), what about it? It would reflect the hardyness of the fiberglass camper, and stress its "all seasons" capability.
Well, the blueness was really a camera operator malfunction instead of an actual representation of the lighting... It did, in hindsight, adequately represent our mood though...

It's June in the Kananaski's.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #46

Trailer: Boler 1300
Hi Herb. Just bought a Boler 1300.A week later I came across another for free.Needs some work and thought that you may be able to give me some ideas.Basically the interior is fiberglass so any material which you did your 1700 would help.I would not have a clue where to buy ensolite in the Maritimes.Any other hints would be helpful as well.
bill o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #47

You could order from Team Trillium... They don't have any choices ... One insulation, and one color/style of headliner. Also one choice of glue... I used a $20 paint gun from Princess Lotto as I figured it would be 'done' by the time the job finished. I didn't want to trash my really expensive HVLP gun... Joe says they use 36 linear feet of hull liner for the Outback's... I used less than that on the 1700 but the 1700 has more furniture/windows, and I didn't do the inside of the cupboards...

Another place to check is Aqualine Vinyl but they don't sell the closed cell foam insulation or the glue... The glue they recommend only works well on vertical surfaces... Joe uses some other glue (that I don't know the name of) that he's found works well on vertical and horizontal surfaces. Having used it, I can attest to that... It's very tenacious.

Figure on this costing you about $500 for materials alone. This is a horrific job and I can see every flaw in mine... Check your local hotrod club to see if they have an upholstery guy you can hire to do this for you..
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #48

I finally took a few minutes to take some 'basically finished' shots of the interior...

In retrospect, I'm not entirely pleased with how the white fiberglass backsplash for the dinette area worked out... It lines up perfectly with the window but looks awkward with the cushions and table... The table itself is still the ugly one from the previous owners but I haven't gotten around to building a new one yet.

The cooler normally rides on the front rack but lives inside so it doesn't get stolen while the trailer sits on my driveway.

In the corner, I bought a cheap meter from Princess Auto which is for debugging electrical problems out in the field, but it also doubles as a battery monitor. It is connected to two banana plugs on the storage compartment (can just barely see them above the cushion) and the meter is velcro'd to the hull liner. Above the meter is the clock/indoor-outdoor thermometer. Next to that is a dual 12v power outlet for charging cellphones, GPS, ipods, etc...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5479.sized.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	8535

Nothing exciting here. I mounted a fiberglass panel to protect the wood panelling when the gaucho is slid out into bed form. I also added one between the bathroom door and fridge to accomodate the coat hooks and a handle for my son to stabilize himself when he climbs down the ladder.

Name:	IMG_5481.sized.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	8536

I replaced all the lighting with these truck dome lights. They're very bright and they're very cheap (about $12ea). They also take standard brake light bulbs so eventually I can put LED bulbs in if I feel like conserving power. For now, one provides plenty of light for the dinette or kitchen sink.

Name:	IMG_5483.sized.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	8537

A final shot of the kitchen counter. Nothing exciting. Basic white arborite with some oak trim... I cut up an old kitchen cutting board to fit over the stove. Still not convinced of that idea...

Name:	IMG_5484.sized.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	8538

That largely fixes the interior. The outside still needs lots of work.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #49

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Herb,

That is beautiful work! Your trailer looks absolutely beautiful inside.
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #50

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
All your hard work really paid off. Looks great!!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #51

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Quote:
All your hard work really paid off. Looks great!!
Ditto It's gorgeous ! Good for you !!! Love the fabric too ! Cheers Mitch
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #52

Not much to update. Bought a new awning today from Alberta Tent & Awning... This is the 10ft version of the awning we had on our 1300 and we liked it a lot so we bought another one. For $250, comes with extendable poles, stakes, and all the rope...

Name:	IMG_5487.sized.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	8838

Name:	IMG_5488.sized.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	8839

Other things you can see in this picture are that I'm still removing the 30 year old stripes... Very tedious work... I'm simultaneously patching cracks, pits, scratches, holes, blemishes, etc, to get ready for paint... This is a slow tedious process that I'm glad to do in small stints...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #53

Trailer: Boler 1984
Herb That's a lot of work. I'm sure you now know ALL the ins and outs of your trailer. Makes me think that upgrading to a 17 is the way to go. There's so much more comfort available.
Well done!
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #54

Trailer: 2005 25 ft Bigfoot / 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4X4
Registry
Hi Herb!
You are doing great work!! We removed the stripes on our 17' Boler by using a hair dryer to warm up the stripes and a razor scraper (carefully) to start the stripes lifting - a little patience and it worked quite well!! Our Boler lookes so much better without the orange stripes - yours will too! Best of luck!
F.Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #55

Quote:
Hi Herb!
You are doing great work!! We removed the stripes on our 17' Boler by using a hair dryer to warm up the stripes and a razor scraper (carefully) to start the stripes lifting - a little patience and it worked quite well!! Our Boler lookes so much better without the orange stripes - yours will too! Best of luck!
I tried that as well but these stripes have turned brittle over the years...

I actually managed to get quite a lot of it removed on the last camping trip... Those times I should have been sitting on a lawn chair, holding a beer...
Old 07-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #56

The interior part of the job is pretty much finished. We just completed our second camping trip and everything worked really well. I did build a screen door last week that I got mounted in time for this camping trip...

Name:	P1020165.sized.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	9020

Name:	P1020167.sized.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	9021

I'm still removing strips, patching holes/cracks.. I don't imagine I'll be adding any new pictures to this thread until I paint the exterior...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #57

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Hi Herb,
I'm wondering how your upper bunk is working out for your son now that you've had it out a few times? Also wondering where you found your bunk ladder? I am preparing some ideas for reinforcing my upper bunk to hold more weight and I would like to get some type of lightweight alum. ladder to act as part of the support. Thanks
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #58

Quote:
I'm wondering how your upper bunk is working out for your son now that you've had it out a few times? Also wondering where you found your bunk ladder? I am preparing some ideas for reinforcing my upper bunk to hold more weight and I would like to get some type of lightweight alum. ladder to act as part of the support.
I think it's working out fine. He complains that it's too "short", as in, he can't sit up... He also complains that it's too hard but I think I just need to make him spend a night in a tent on the ground in a sleeping bag and then he'll have a new appreciation for his bunk... I don't think he's ever rolled up against the rail that I made so I think the only purpose it serves is to let mommy sleep better... The ladder only works in one place, between the fridge and bathroom door...

The ladder I got was a Coast Marine part number 79154. It has a 'docking system' which turned out not to be what I was picturing so I probably wouldn't bother with it again. The way it works is not compatible with the bunk so I think you'd want to find some other way to rig it. With the ladder in place, it's hard to get into the bathroom so when we go to bed, we put the ladder aside. Then in the morning, we put it back in place so my son can climb down. He's pretty spry so if he wanted to get down on his own for some reason, he could climb down, hang and drop...

It's nice to have the dinette stay set up all the time and this is the primary reason to have the bunk, but the bunk does crowd the inside of the trailer a lot because we don't put it up during the day... ie: we don't un-make the beds during the day... Once already my wife has bashed her head on the bunk causing a big egg on the back of her head... That was a rather unpopular occurence...

So, mixed feelings on the bunk... I almost think he'd be as comfortable sleeping up there if the outer half of the bunk was removed entirely and that would certainly improve life in the trailer... It's not clear how many more years he's got up there.. I suspect by the time he's 10, he'll not want to be up there any more... He's 6 now...

HTH.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #59

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thanks for the detailed reply Herb
That gives me some items to consider before proceeding. With my son being 9 and 75lbs, I also wonder how long he would be happy up there (also considering a total reno of that area with a modified prefab bunkbed, single over double type of idea)

Quote:
I think I just need to make him spend a night in a tent on the ground in a sleeping bag and then he'll have a new appreciation for his bunk...
A couple nights on a foamy in a tent would change his tune in a hurry

Quote:
I almost think he'd be as comfortable sleeping up there if the outer half of the bunk was removed entirely and that would certainly improve life in the trailer...
That may just be an idea worth looking into, if your bunk is about the same size as mine, there is certainly enough width without the extra fold down to fit a decent sized kid. Would your angled ladder clear the lower area that way and still leave room to access the bathroom?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #60

Quote:
That may just be an idea worth looking into, if your bunk is about the same size as mine, there is certainly enough width without the extra fold down to fit a decent sized kid. Would your angled ladder clear the lower area that way and still leave room to access the bathroom?
I don't think so because the lower bunk would be slid out...

The ladder issue is really not a show stopper.. Just a minor inconvenience more than made up for by having continuous access to the dinette. When it's cold outside, it's nice to huddle at the dinette with a good book in the evenings. Since kids go almost completely unconscious once they're asleep, it's like having a whole livingroom...

Tags
boler