Boler 1700 refresh. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #57

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Hi Herb,
I'm wondering how your upper bunk is working out for your son now that you've had it out a few times? Also wondering where you found your bunk ladder? I am preparing some ideas for reinforcing my upper bunk to hold more weight and I would like to get some type of lightweight alum. ladder to act as part of the support. Thanks

Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #58

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
I'm wondering how your upper bunk is working out for your son now that you've had it out a few times? Also wondering where you found your bunk ladder? I am preparing some ideas for reinforcing my upper bunk to hold more weight and I would like to get some type of lightweight alum. ladder to act as part of the support.
I think it's working out fine. He complains that it's too "short", as in, he can't sit up... He also complains that it's too hard but I think I just need to make him spend a night in a tent on the ground in a sleeping bag and then he'll have a new appreciation for his bunk... I don't think he's ever rolled up against the rail that I made so I think the only purpose it serves is to let mommy sleep better... The ladder only works in one place, between the fridge and bathroom door...

The ladder I got was a Coast Marine part number 79154. It has a 'docking system' which turned out not to be what I was picturing so I probably wouldn't bother with it again. The way it works is not compatible with the bunk so I think you'd want to find some other way to rig it. With the ladder in place, it's hard to get into the bathroom so when we go to bed, we put the ladder aside. Then in the morning, we put it back in place so my son can climb down. He's pretty spry so if he wanted to get down on his own for some reason, he could climb down, hang and drop...

It's nice to have the dinette stay set up all the time and this is the primary reason to have the bunk, but the bunk does crowd the inside of the trailer a lot because we don't put it up during the day... ie: we don't un-make the beds during the day... Once already my wife has bashed her head on the bunk causing a big egg on the back of her head... That was a rather unpopular occurence...

So, mixed feelings on the bunk... I almost think he'd be as comfortable sleeping up there if the outer half of the bunk was removed entirely and that would certainly improve life in the trailer... It's not clear how many more years he's got up there.. I suspect by the time he's 10, he'll not want to be up there any more... He's 6 now...

HTH.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #59

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thanks for the detailed reply Herb
That gives me some items to consider before proceeding. With my son being 9 and 75lbs, I also wonder how long he would be happy up there (also considering a total reno of that area with a modified prefab bunkbed, single over double type of idea)

Quote:
I think I just need to make him spend a night in a tent on the ground in a sleeping bag and then he'll have a new appreciation for his bunk...
A couple nights on a foamy in a tent would change his tune in a hurry

Quote:
I almost think he'd be as comfortable sleeping up there if the outer half of the bunk was removed entirely and that would certainly improve life in the trailer...
That may just be an idea worth looking into, if your bunk is about the same size as mine, there is certainly enough width without the extra fold down to fit a decent sized kid. Would your angled ladder clear the lower area that way and still leave room to access the bathroom?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #60

Quote:
That may just be an idea worth looking into, if your bunk is about the same size as mine, there is certainly enough width without the extra fold down to fit a decent sized kid. Would your angled ladder clear the lower area that way and still leave room to access the bathroom?
I don't think so because the lower bunk would be slid out...

The ladder issue is really not a show stopper.. Just a minor inconvenience more than made up for by having continuous access to the dinette. When it's cold outside, it's nice to huddle at the dinette with a good book in the evenings. Since kids go almost completely unconscious once they're asleep, it's like having a whole livingroom...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700 and 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Herb,
Great post and really nice work. This week I bought a '79 1700 that needs a lot of work, and after reading this topic, I'm more than a bit intimidated, as I lack all of the skills necessary to do the work. Thanks for your post, as i now have a clearer idea of what I'll need to do.

Peace,

Patton
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #62

Final update.

I came back to answer a PM after a 3 year hiatus. Thought I would post a final image to this thread. I painted the 1700 with Endura about 2 years ago. It's been holding up extremely well. I loaded some firewood on the front rack (not installed in this image) and went camping. When I got there, I heard a high pitched squeaking noise whenever we went over a bump in the campground... I discovered it was some logs had shifted and were rubbing up/down on the paint.. I shifted the logs and looked at the paint, not even any residual dullness or scuff.. I think the paint did more damage to the logs. Endura is nasty stuff to paint but I used a respirator with new cartridges and painted in a buddy's detached garage.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #63

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Wow, Herb, it's a beauty! Your hard work certainly has paid off. Glad to hear it's still in use.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #64

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb P View Post
I came back to answer a PM after a 3 year hiatus. Thought I would post a final image to this thread. I painted the 1700 with Endura about 2 years ago. It's been holding up extremely well. I loaded some firewood on the front rack (not installed in this image) and went camping. When I got there, I heard a high pitched squeaking noise whenever we went over a bump in the campground... I discovered it was some logs had shifted and were rubbing up/down on the paint.. I shifted the logs and looked at the paint, not even any residual dullness or scuff.. I think the paint did more damage to the logs. Endura is nasty stuff to paint but I used a respirator with new cartridges and painted in a buddy's detached garage.
Wonderful thread. What a tremendous job!

JMP
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #65

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
New Brunswick
Registry
Wow! What a restore! You sure did a beautiful job inside and out!
Now if only my husband was 1/4 that handy!!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #66

Trailer: Boler 1700
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Al Nelson
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb P View Post

Endura is a great paint, I have used it on airplanes. I also have a Boler 1700 that needs paint. How much paint did you need for your trailer?
Al
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #67

Name: Phil
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500 (previously a 1978 Trillium 4500, Rpod 171 and Surveyor SV251)
Nova Scotia
Hi Herb,

I noticed you didn't have your batteries and propane tanks installed in this latest pic. When I saw the pic from way back when, when you were building your rack I wondered if you'd considered building your cooler in above the batteries (nestled between the propane tanks) rather than on top of the whole rack. Almost looks like it should fit especially if you are custom making the rack.

Great job on the rest of it too. I hadn't seen the fibreglass panels you mentioned from home depot. Can you give any more information on them such as the price, manufacturer, sku#?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nelson View Post
Endura is a great paint, I have used it on airplanes. I also have a Boler 1700 that needs paint. How much paint did you need for your trailer?
Al

Sorry, I don't remember.. I believe it was 1 gallon. I checked the coverage and then roughly calculated the area based on the dimensions of the trailer and I had paint left over... Pretty sure I had 1 gallon of primer and 1 gallon of paint... But I think actually I had 2 gallons of primer because it's a 50/50 mix so I have primer left over...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 4500 View Post
Hi Herb,
I noticed you didn't have your batteries and propane tanks installed in this latest pic. When I saw the pic from way back when, when you were building your rack I wondered if you'd considered building your cooler in above the batteries (nestled between the propane tanks) rather than on top of the whole rack. Almost looks like it should fit especially if you are custom making the rack.

Great job on the rest of it too. I hadn't seen the fibreglass panels you mentioned from home depot. Can you give any more information on them such as the price, manufacturer, sku#?
I didn't consider putting the cooler between the propane tanks because I'd envisioned putting firewood in there for travelling... Plus I want to be able to walk over to the cooler to grab a beverage without getting into the trailer... We keep bevvies in the cooler and keep the fridge reserved for food.. I suppose I could have not built an upper deck on the rack and then put the cooler down low... This is just the design that I settled on and it leaves room for more tongue storage... It's always a challenge to load more weight on the tongue when you travel with bikes on the trailer's bumper so anything that lets me move stuff forward, I view as a good thing... When we camp, I try to keep stuff out of the truck so the trailer is relatively self contained... Reduces packing and unpacking at home and at camp. It's hard to see in this photo but the rack is back on the tongue:

P1040485.JPG

With respect to the fiberglass panels, Home Depot Canada calls the product "Exceliner" and the sku is: Store SKU #: 1000154234
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #70

Name: Bill
Trailer: Two Trillium Jubilees and a Trillium 1300
Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
Confused about 30 amp RV plug

Herb:

Your statement about not finding a 30 amp RV plug at campgrounds confuses me. I installed a 30 amp service in my Trillium Jubilee, outfited it with a Marinco 30 amp inlet device, purchased a regular RV 30 amp cord and used it during our two month vacation to Alaska last summer. One campsite only supplied15 amp power so I resorted to using a 30 to 15 amp adapter but otherwise we had 30 amp power each night.

I hooked my inlet device to a small service panel which I purchased at Home Depot. That provided me with a distribution panel for my 110 volt circuits, one of which supplies the smart charger. I am in the process of installing two through-hull battery posts so I can mount one or two batteries outside the trailer and thus solve the venting problems. With this arrangement, I don't have any need for a converter.

I do agree with your view on stuffing the cord back through a hole in the side of the trailer. I unhook my cord, roll it up and put it into the back of my van. No big problem - no bugs - no tangles !

Good Luck with your project

Bill Reilly

Tags
boler