Boler #2 frame off - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler
I swore that I would not put myself through this again but pulled the shell off another Boler last week, sandblasted it yesterday and rolled on a coat of epoxy primer after getting it home. Frame is in excellent condition with no cracks or rust through and axle is straight. On removing layers of paint and surface rust, I uncovered the serial number slightly ahead of the jack . Plans are to roll on at least 3 coats of black enamel in the next couple of days and setting the shell back on the frame by the end of the week. I have a few other things to accomplish before dragging it out to the meet in Mission at the end of May.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_2_frame_small.JPG  
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Did you work for the airlines? I see you have some wheel stops from the airlines.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Did you work for the airlines? I see you have some wheel stops from the airlines.
Yes I do.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Frame is in excellent condition with no cracks or rust through and axle is straight.
Looks like a fun project

I'm curious about the axle: I thought the torsion axles were supposed to be bowed up in the middle and not straight. Is this not true for some of them? (I've looked at a Trillium axle with the shell off and they do have the bow, but I haven't looked at a Boler axle from the same perspective; just wondering if being straight could indicate that it's tired... or?)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Looks like a fun project

I'm curious about the axle: I thought the torsion axles were supposed to be bowed up in the middle and not straight. Is this not true for some of them? (I've looked at a Trillium axle with the shell off and they do have the bow, but I haven't looked at a Boler axle from the same perspective; just wondering if being straight could indicate that it's tired... or?)

Raya
Not sure Raya but i would have thought it should be straight.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Mine has a hump in the middle. We'll see after it comes home from Team Trillium with its new axle.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Not sure Raya but i would have thought it should be straight.
Okay. Reason I asked is because this is the type of torsion axle I'm familiar with has a "hump" up in the middle. You can just make it out in this photo by comparing the axle to the frame member (the axle is just behind the straight frame member). I thought that perhaps all torsion axles were supposed to be like that and that "straight" might actually mean "drooping." As I said though, I don't *know* that for a fact.

Name:   trillium_axle.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  20.8 KB
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Congratulations on getting the frame off. Probably more difficult than it looks. I am interested in how you prep the frame before painting.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
[quote]Okay. Reason I asked is because this is the type of torsion axle I'm familiar with has a "hump" up in the middle. You can just make it out in this photo by comparing the axle to the frame member (the axle is just behind the straight frame member). I thought that perhaps all torsion axles were supposed to be like that and that "straight" might actually mean "drooping." As I said though, I don't *know* that for a fact.

Attachment 27718

I just replaced the axle on my PP. When I asked about it, I was told that the "hump" was necessary to address/control camber.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I swore that I would not put myself through this again but pulled the shell off another Boler last week, sandblasted it yesterday and rolled on a coat of epoxy primer after getting it home. Frame is in excellent condition with no cracks or rust through and axle is straight. On removing layers of paint and surface rust, I uncovered the serial number slightly ahead of the jack . Plans are to roll on at least 3 coats of black enamel in the next couple of days and setting the shell back on the frame by the end of the week. I have a few other things to accomplish before dragging it out to the meet in Mission at the end of May.

Were you able to remove the shell without detaching the floor form it? If so how?

Thank you!!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Were you able to remove the shell without detaching the floor form it? If so how?

Thank you!!
This Boler has a full fiberglass floor where as my 72 had a wooden lower/kitchen floor which was attached to the frame, so the shell is one piece.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Congratulations on getting the frame off. Probably more difficult than it looks. I am interested in how you prep the frame before painting.
Actually a fairly easy task which many on this forum will agree on. I used a 2 part epoxy primer after sand blasting to bare metal, which I rolled on and used a brush in the corners. I also rolled on the black enamel. Nothing special as most of the frame is not visible but it did turn out to be a good finish. I will set the shell back on tomorrow and replace all the attach hardware with stainless.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_2_frame_painted_small_001.JPG  
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
I just replaced the axle on my PP. When I asked about it, I was told that the "hump" was necessary to address/control camber.
Interesting. This is the 3rd Boler I have taken the shell off to clean up the frame, having first helped a neighbor and all were straight. Is it boler specific I wonder?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #14

Hmm, the plot thickens....

I know a few members have just received new axles from Paul Neumeister, who is a Boler expert; I wonder if those are humped or straight?

Raya
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
This Boler has a full fiberglass floor where as my 72 had a wooden lower/kitchen floor which was attached to the frame, so the shell is one piece.

My Scamp is a 77' it is wood bottom only. I did not know some of the Boler's were full glass... That is cool! How would it work for my wood floored Scamp?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Quote:
Hmm, the plot thickens....

I know a few members have just received new axles from Paul Neumeister, who is a Boler expert; I wonder if those are humped or straight?

Raya
They are humped for the right camber.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
They are humped for the right camber.
I stand corrected It is humped like the those who know have said it is. The hump is gradual and I never really noticed it untill I laid a straight edge across it. The axle looking from behind is in front of a crossmember so it is difficult to notice.
Considered this solved.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #18

Roger,

Well thanks for re-checking. It's great to solve a mystery. I had just come back to the thread to post that, although I could not download the image, the photo of the new Boler axle that Paul Neumeister offers, does look to be "humped" in his catalog (http://www.fibreglass-rv.ca/catalog.html).

Not only have we solved the mystery, but it sounds like your axle is properly "bent"

Raya
Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
FYI
You can see how the axles are made and bent here:
http://www.inlandrv.com/tours/axle-p...s-briefing.htm
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler