Boler American - New Countertop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Well - here is my new kitchen/countertop area....

I lined my old kitchen with 1/8" beech wood, stained a nice cherry color. I still need to put my trim pieces on, but you get the idea....

Again - I'm sure the question will come up -
How much does it weigh?
it's really only 1/2" MDF under all that with a 4" MDF front to it (so it makes it look thicker) - it's about 20lbs...

Where is your sink/Stove/furnace/fridge? - All removed - I'm still a tent camper at heart, and enjoy cooking outside - even in the rain - I have a 10x20' Vendor Tent, so plenty of outside space.

Working on my floor as I speak, going to be a pretty cool pattern that probably has never been done before.... more details on that soon....

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	20028
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Looks really good. MDF is strong and pretty lite weight too. Keep the pictures coming.
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Looks really good. MDF is strong and pretty lite weight too. Keep the pictures coming.
Very sharp! Looks like a cabinet for a well-appointed kitchen or bathroom.

We used 1/4" birch plywood for our counter tops. It's harder to work with, but stronger and lighter than MDF.

Name:	09Apr18_KitchenSink.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	20055

Name:   Countertop___Stove_Side__3_.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  34.0 KB
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Why have counter tops if you cook outside? Why not use that space floor to ceiling for storage?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Why have counter tops if you cook outside? Why not use that space floor to ceiling for storage?
Sorry - Didn't mean to sound - brusque - but sometimes you always worry what everyone will think of your changes, some people think that making serious changes to a camper is a bit risky for resale, I guess I'm a fan of making a camper adapatable to you... but again - I have $1,500 into my Boler American - - so a bit easier to do what I want and not worry about resale....

Why a countertop? Well - you need somewhere to put your drink while you're inside, and a good spot to throw snacks, or toiletry items... or that battery operated fan?

Here is the photo of the countertop from the bottom -

Name:	May_009.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	20112

Name:	May_001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	20113

I'm working on the floor tonight, but will have a 2x12" / 4x12 and 6x12" random pattern tile, hopefully I'll have photos tomorrow of that.

the countertop is actually made out of thin cement - it's similiar to the front dinette that I did for a friend -

Name:	april_016.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	20114
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tim,
Can you please slow down a bit?
You are making some of us look real bad for the length of time it is taking to get our trailers up to snuff.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #7

Slow down - that's what happens when you're a little ADD/ADHD.... I can't sit still...

And, I just happen to do countertops/flooring as a side hobby - so I've been thinking about the Boler all winter long, I just had to get it going before this weekends 1st outing... I still haven't mounted my front/rear side upper cabinets yet... that is coming soon, but in the meantime, I've been concentrated on the kitchen area... Everyone I show it to thinks it's granite and tries to figure out what it's doing in a camper...

Then - I tell them the floor is/will be concrete? Then people get really confused? Why? And what about the weight? I'm laying down the tile pattern tonight, and the 2nd thin coat of concrete (yes concrete) 2 very thin thin coats... hopefully I'll have some photos of that tomorrow... maybe even a video...

if anyone is around the MSP area and wants to take a look, or on the North Shore of Lake Superior during the 4th of July - feel free to come and take a look - - maybe I'll dig up some business on the side.... would love to do another kitchen mod, I have some more ideas up my sleeve...

thanks again for the kind words, I'll be sure to post photos/vids as soon as I get them.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #8

I do have to share a store/warehouse for the local MSP people

http://www.cannonrecovery.com/Directions.html

a fantastic place to get trim and cabinet doors, and flooring - - my doors for my Boler were $5 a piece. brand new - I had to dig through many many pieces, but found 4-5 that would work for my camper - I sanded and stained and got the nice cherry color.

trim pieces were also very cheap! Normally about $.30 a foot....

if you live in the MSP area, it's worth a trip!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nice job. I think its great when folks can make a unit personalized to suit themselves. Keep it going.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #10

Well after messing around with my camper last night, I ditched the idea for the thin flex concrete... had plans on a really cool tile pattern for the floor.... I had high hopes... but when I got down to it, the idea of putting Laminate back in was extremely easy.... and the fact I had old laminate pieces from a previous house sitting in the garage, so at least I was able to recycle some of the old stuff for new use....

So here we are -

this is what I started with -

Name:	IMG00241.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	20209

and here she is as of last night -

Name:	May_001_1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	20208

I was hoping for something different on the floor, but maybe when I find some discounted flooring in a cherry color, I'll pick it up - in the meantime - I think she is ready to camp this weekend.....

hoping my mother gets those blinds done before this weekend.... my wife is still looking for a bit of privacy...

Tags
boler