Boler front door security - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Boler front door security

So my other newbie question is what do you all use for securing the front door? I mean, even with it locked, anybody can just grab the top and rip the door down. There has to be something to beef up the front door. I've seen pics of a bar and lock across the front. And I've seen some big ol' RV's with a hinged bar and lock thing. What's some ideas?

Thanks.

And oh ya, pics coming soon of my 75 Boler.
brownrecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrecluse View Post
So my other newbie question is what do you all use for securing the front door? I mean, even with it locked, anybody can just grab the top and rip the door down. There has to be something to beef up the front door. I've seen pics of a bar and lock across the front. And I've seen some big ol' RV's with a hinged bar and lock thing. What's some ideas?

Thanks.

And oh ya, pics coming soon of my 75 Boler.
Hi: brownrecluse... Funny thing about doors and locks. They're only for honest people!!! The others will get in no matter what obstacles you may use. We just used the keys and the old Bargman L400 lock...and never had a problem.
Spiders will get in even if the door is locked!!!
Campers and fiberglass campers in particular are the nicest people you could ever meet!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Not sure about the front door security, but on a trailer that size you could likely put a permanent bar on the back door, as it would not likely be needed.

As Alf said, security is just to keep the honest folks out. If someone really wants in, they will get in, through a window, or quite quickly with a battery operated saw. I tend not to worry about that kinda stuff, as karma will take care of the perpetrators.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
So you're worried about the door? How about bars on the windows and grating across the roof vent? Folks who want in, will get in. Buy good insurance. Frankly, I worry more about my home than I do my trailer. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Idaho
Maybe you all are getting the wrong idea. I dont think i phrased the question correct. I'm not losing sleep over this. And I'm not worried about someone determined to break out the sawsall and climb in the roof vent. Since I'll be living inside temporarily and I'll have some important stuff inside, I'd just like to secure the front door a tad bit. It could be ripped off its hinges with the door locked. More against the casual theft from a methhead walking past when it's parked in Santa Cruz while I'm out surfing. I'm sure somebody has tangible ideas other than philosophical dreams. I'm a big fan of preparing rather than hoping.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jeff, there has actually been whole door thefts. The hinges are a bigger problem than the lockset side. I think the more you try to secure something the more valuable folks think it might be. That's why a bunch of folks I know who ride REALLY EXPENSIVE bicycles, paint them some horrible color. If what you own is irreplacable or too expensive to replace or uninsurable... have you considered a safety deposit box at a bank?

Whatever you come up with for your trailer, I'll hope you share pictures

WOW, this turned out to be post 16,000 for me (this go around)... what a mouth!
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
More against the casual theft from a methhead walking past when it's parked in Santa Cruz while I'm out surfing.
Simple, lock your valuables in the trunk of your vehicle.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Idaho
Roy, once again, I stated that I will have some important stuff inside. Can't have everything in the trunk. The question wasn't about where to store stuff. I could always get a storage unit, but that isn't going to work in my case.

I will state this question as clearly as possible....are there any ideas about making the front door, and only the front door, more secure? I'm not asking about securing the windows. Im not asking about securing vents. I'm not asking about hoping people don't break in. I'm not asking about building a faraday cage around the whole rig and bolting it to a dozen ravenous pit bulls. I'm not asking about securing anything other than the front door. I'm just trying to find a real tangible (non philosophical) idea. Please don't answer if you don't have a product suggestion or actually metal work kind of idea. Please don't tell me I should weed out stuff, or not worry about it. In my case, I must.

Thank you ahead of time for anybody who gets what I'm tryng to do.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
There is a picture of a renovation (a before photo I believe) that has a bar across the outside of the door bolted on the hinge side...not certain how it was attached on the opposite (lock) side. Nor do I recall who posted it. But it may provide food for thought. My sister tells me that when the folks had a trailer business they were told by police that keeping everything closed up and giving the appearance that you have something valuable to protect is akin to waving a red flag before a bull. Still, as I travel with my notebook and don't want it in our car in a shopping mall parking lot when I'm not there, I can appreciate your concerns. Look forward to hear your solution.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
You can always booby-trap the door with a bucket of hot tar. Or better yet, get a big scary dog to guard your trailer when you are away.

But seriously, I think any visible metal bar or lock system is going to just draw attention to you. You could probably rig up a metal bar that goes across the door, making it difficult to open. The problem is that anything you put on is going to be mounted into fiberglass, and fiberglass can be easily defeated with minimal force.

Another option might be a simple alarm system with a basic motion detector. You can get something simple for a few bucks. It won't prevent a break in, but if a thief hears the noise they might be inclined to leave more quickly.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #11

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I bought a magnet switch alarm mounted on the hinge side of the door(inside). It has a 45 second delay to exit and 30 second to enter. Yes, it can easily be torn off the wall, but in my small trailer, someone breaking in will get a good headache before he stomps it out. I'm going to make a lockbox under the front bench in the future(all for my own peace of mind).
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
There is a picture of a renovation (a before photo I believe) that has a bar across the outside of the door bolted on the hinge side...not certain how it was attached on the opposite (lock) side. Nor do I recall who posted it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
The problem is that anything you put on is going to be mounted into fiberglass, and fiberglass can be easily defeated with minimal force.
It is mine Bonnie, done by a previous owner and I left it that way. The pole runs through eye bolts on either side of the door which go through metal plates on the inside. It would take a bit more than minimal force to tear a chunk of fiberglass out that big.

I use the bar parked here in the big city and during winter storage. We don't use it while camping. When we first got the trailer it used to keep the door closed while travelling, till that problem got fixed.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Roy.

My son bought a small alarm that he attaches to the patio door in a house they rent in Florida each March so they will know if the kids are out near the pool from WalMart: Mace Wireless Door/Window Sensor, Wireless Door Security System, Mace Home Security System, Alarm Door Sensor It wouldn't stop folks from entering but coupled with a sign indicating that there is an alarm system it may discourage thieves.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
On 02-27-2012 Norm (honda03842) submitted a post "Handle and Deadbolt"
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I really like the handle. He simply screwed it into the inner fiberglass panel with some fair sized wood screws that only penetrate the inner panel. The dead bolt mounts in a painted wooden block that is also screwed to the inner fiberglass panel. The block simply provides the appropriate thickness for a normal home dead bolt.
You may want to contact Norma and find out more about it.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #15

Hey Bonnie and Claude!

Hate to tell you this but on the other side of the door there are 2 nuts exposed that when taken off defeat all the hardware inside.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Thanks, Roy. Imagine there isn't really a good solution when we choose to dwell in little vintage travel trailers.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Roy, once again, I stated that I will have some important stuff inside.Please don't answer if you don't have a product suggestion or actually metal work kind of idea. Please don't tell me I should weed out stuff, or not worry about it. In my case, I must.
Thank you ahead of time for anybody who gets what I'm tryng to do.
LOL it looks to me that all those who have responded do get what your trying to do.

As has been correctly pointed out you can put all the additional locks you want on the door but as long as the hinges are on the outside the door can very easily be taken off. The only way to totally secure the door is to either replace the lock and make the door hinge bolts none removable and hope you never need to fix them ( warning they are a common item that needs fixing) or put big bars one near the top and one near the bottom across the door -with all the bolts holding the bar mechanism on the inside. Not pretty. Even if you do that there is no guarantee someone cant get one of your windows open pretty easy if they really want to due to the simple locks on them.

Another option which was also suggested is to add an alarm system to the trailer but if you do be warned if you plan on doing any dry camping it will suck the life out of your battery. Also if you camp in remote areas where no one else is around when your away and the alarm goes off its not going to stop someone from entering the trailer.

Keep in mind that most who have responded to our question get it - most of us also have stuff thats important to us as well but putting the real important stuff into the truck of a car that has an alarm system has proven through the many years of collective camping experience to be the most aesthetically, cost effective and practical option.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie and Claude View Post
On 02-27-2012 Norm (honda03842) submitted a post "Handle and Deadbolt" You may want to contact Norma and find out more about it.
My apologies...typo...meant 'contact Norm'

Tags
boler