Boler - Front window rock guard/shade lift shocks modification - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Maybe a good starting point would be to look at the ones installed on a pick-up truck canopy. I recently had to replace the ones on mine and I seem to recall that they were 25 pound lift units (No, the canopy upper window is NOT 50 pounds - it was more like 5-10 lb at absolute max) but the leverage factors inherent in positioning the struts etc meant that 25 pound units were just right.

You may need 10 pound units- maybe 25 pound units - I have NO idea whatever, but make sure you don't start off by trial & error with the 100 pound ones!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff View Post
hi James,

I think the new scamps are just clip on, clip off covers and don't hinge up out of the way/or block the sun once you are at camp. think you take the cover off and have to put it someplace. but not sure. i'll have to look but i'm sure they don't sell them on scamp parts site

joel
From what I have seen the new Scamps have the same set up that Donna's scamp and mine have and they are in fact made to lift off but many of us have come up with a ways to keep it so the guard does not come off (I used small metal hose clamps through the hardware on the top of mine to keep it from lifting off) and make pvc holders per Joy's instructions here & connecting them to the bottom hardware to keep it up while camping. Here is photo of mine up.
Attached Thumbnails
small rockguard.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Joy should have patented her idea... she'd be RICH!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #18

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks very much for that pic Carol (& thanks Donna for the explanation). My '84 Scamp 13 has the original (I think) 'hangers' for the top, & the 'toggle' latches at bottom of the rock guard. They're all very rusty but still serviceable. The 'hangers' appear to be simply old type window screen square loops & hooks (probably galvanized originally), & the toggle latches (readily available at local hardware stores) I've already bought. I'd like to get some stainless hangers which I've found online but they're kinda 'proud' of 'em ($20 a set vs $3-4 for zinc coated). Also found stainless toggle latches at marine suppliers but again more bucks than I'm willin' to part with at present.

I hadn't realized that the rock guard would still 'hang' on the hooks while tilted that much. Now I can devise some PVC 'props' that'll work for mine. Did/do you use any kind of 'hold down' device to keep the guard from 'flying away' in gusty winds? Appears a small bungee might work unless a tornado or hurricane strength gale occurs (probably be a good idea to break camp & 'get outta Dodge' in that case )
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Harvey, the pictures in this post may be self explanatory. I didn't make mine as complicated, but they continue to work just fine and I've never have the gravel guard lift in any kind of wind: Scamp Window Cover
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Harvey the rock guard will not lift that high and stay on the hooks without attaching it at the top - see the link Donna provided to Joy's original instructions.

I changed Joy's instructions up a bit and just used some very small adjustable worm drive pipe clamps through the top hardware and they have worked well for about 5 years now.

I put broom holders on the inside wall of the upper part of my closet in the Scamp for storing the PVC out of the way when not in use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #21

Arkansas
Thanks y'all. I'll hafta see if I can devise some kind of 'keeper' for whenever I get new hardware for the rock guard. I've found the zinc coated 'hangers' that are identical to the factory stuff but I'd wanted to replace that rusted mess with stainless. All the stainless I've found are of a different design which will require filling the existing holes & re-drilling to mount the new hangers. May go that route if I can't figure out a way to prolong the 'shiny' life of the zinc ones. There's one set of hangers that have a long enough 'hook' that I may be able to drill & tap the tongue for a 'keeper' set screw that'll hold the square loop in place even with the guard elevated to open position?? Been doing a lot of thinking but working mostly on the inside 'til weather moderates somewhat, later in the spring.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #22

Name: Cheesehead
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Does anyone have Joy's instructions? I'd like to make some support poles for my gravel guard. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #23

Arkansas
Think maybe this thread will cover it - Scamp Window Cover

Tags
boler