Boler Mods. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #29

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Lizbeth and all, be sure to check out the Helpful-Links info...here's one for a Boler Water tank: Water Tanks, Fresh and Gray Water

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #30

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Thanks Donna! That tank is a bit different that my original tank but it might work.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #31
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Well I 'll be darned ladies. Last year when I was looking for a replacement tank I had every local RV dealer searching thru their suppliers for a poly tanks that size. I talked to a plant here who makes poly tanks but wanted around $800 to make a mould to spin one and searched about 75 supppliers on the internet to no avail. And what do you come up, a supplier right next door in Edmonton! Damn!

At the time I didn't have a lot of options left to me as we were planning to go on a trip.
I would be interested in the price of the poly tank. The only difference I can see is that theirs is 3" shorter than my original tank (4"x16"x42") Just fits nicely between the frame with about a 2"to spare. I think it was 45"between. A 39" tank would be a little easier to hook up though.

If any of you are interested, I can post pics on how I modified the hangers and rack which was a huge improvement over the original.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:21 PM   #32

California
Registry
After I posted I looked back in my bookmarked pages for water tanks and reviewed some sites. They've added more sizes. My original tank was roughly 4.75"x22"x36" and said 13 gallon. Someone might find these links useful.

This company comes pretty close and you can search by putting a size in the search area.
http://www.tank-depot.com/

This site has been updated too. I didin't look through all the tanks.
http://www.ronco-plastics.com/

Edmonton RV...I remember they had something close too.
http://edmontonrv.com/
Old 12-16-2005, 11:38 PM   #33
Con

British Columbia
Hmm! Very interesting. They must have increased the size of the tank between 1977 and 1979. I could have made my tank a little bit wider but because it is behind the axle I didn't want to change the weight distribution which could reduce the tounge weight.
Before we bought our Boler I had borrowed a neighbours 13' Trillium to go to a family reunion. I had to put about $150 worth of stuff into it to make it road worthy. It had a square 10 gal. tank under the side seat. Trying to work on that thing was a real pain. I didn't think that was a good place for it if it ever split when it was full. Personally I much prefer the tank underneath. I hope you are forwarding those sites to Donna to add to the helpful limks!!!
I just sent her a bunch.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #34

Oregon
Quote:
I hope you are forwarding those sites to Donna to add to the helpful limks!!!
I just sent her a bunch.
Got em all uploaded to the
Helpful-Links page

Thanks Con for sending along Lizbeth's links too
Old 01-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #35
Con

British Columbia
Our Boler has these little 1"dia. plastic vents in all the cabinets. I don't recall seeing them in other Bolers I have looked at. Has anyone else got them? I think I found a couple of links for them which I forwarded to Donna.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler_68.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	880
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_69.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #36

California
Registry
My Boler has those too. I have them all popped out at the moment to paint and some of them are pretty brittle.

Come on Con cough up the links.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #37
Con

British Columbia
Hi Lizbeth,
Here are the links I passed on to Donna to add to "Helpful Links"
So far these are the closest I have found. That is the problem I am finding with a lot of the 28 year old plastic parts, they are getting brittle. I am going to have to replace my water tank filler cap. I have replaced the lights, sink trap and water tank.

CABINET & ROOF VENTS
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/27-113-s...er--616965.aspx
http://www.duraflo.com/siding/soffitseries.htm#
http://www.marksrv.com/vents.htm

Enjoy
Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #38
Con

British Columbia
For those that maybe interested in a Instant Hot Water Heater installion find attached the PDF files of the one I used.
Hot_Water_Dispenser_01.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hot_Water_Dispenser_02.pdf (200.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #39
Con

British Columbia
One mod on the Boler I have been toying with in my mind for awhile now is some sort of protection on the front end from rock chips. Ours has numerious chips in the GelCoat and our all alum. Featherlite horse trailer is the same way. Even with it been power coated which is a very tough finish it gets beat up.
Many people get 1/16"polished checker plate alum. panels mounted on the front of their horse trailers but that is not feasable on a Boler. All the travel trailers I have seen so far that have the ribbed black rubber mounted on them has not appealed to me as they never seem to fit the curves well without slicing them or the don't stay flat, they buckle in places beacuse the adhesive has let go. Beside white doen't show the dirt as bad.
What I have been considering is a white padded bra held on by dome snaps. Snap are not a problem in my view. After a trip the bra could be unsnapped, hose off any mud or dirt from the shell and bra, let it dry and remount it. Same idea as the bras on pickup trucks and vans.
People keep telling me "oh it will ruin your paint" Not true. We have leased 4 Chevy trucks in the last 12 years, all had bras and not one hurt the paint. I always blast the junk out from under them in the car wash.
So I am wondering if any one else has addressed this problem. I don't want to keep filling chips and repainting the front end.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #40

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
That sounds like it would work, Con,

but.. and this is just my personal tastes..so don't take it to heart

Whats the point of protecting the paint if you are going to cover it up and hide it anyway?

My new paint job got beat pretty bad on the road recently. I have touch up paint. When it gets bad enough, I will get out the touch up paint and bits of bondo if really needed.

I figure I would rather have same "Character" than covering up large painted surfaces.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #41

Oregon
I'm with Gina, paint chips are a sign you use your trailer . I'd only worry about it if it got bad enough to cause structural problems. Maybe you need to change out (or add) mud flaps on the tug?? How about the type of mud flap that goes all the way across the bottom of the bumper on the tug....it goes on when you tow, and off when you don't.

It's a "to each their own" kind of thing. But I have seen a picture of super thin diamond plate that was curved to fit the front end of an egg...lost those pictures to the hacker unfortunately, so it is doable.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #42
Con

British Columbia
Sorry girls, I am a neat freak. I just do not like chips in the Gelcoat finish. Some times I drive my wife up the wall. I guess she has learned to live with it after 45 years.
All the snowmobiles I sold were like show room condition. As one dealer said "you could eat a meal off the engine."
I can't help myself!!!

Tags
boler