Boler Mods. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #57

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Concerning custom water tanks:

I made a custom grey water tank for our Avion more than 20 years ago and it is still in good shape. It is nestled between the frame rails in the back just ahead of the factory black water tank.

I made it with 1/2 inch marine plywood, rather expensive but worth every penny in this applicaton. The bottom and three sides were reinforced with gussets made from pressure treated 2 x 4s miter ripped to 2 inches on a side. All was glued with waterproof glue and screwed with stainless screws.

A flange of 2x2 pressure treated was made around the top to screw the lid on. The inside was lined with thin black polyethylene, (I used one of the large extra strength garbage bag liners). The lining was wrapped over the top edges, then the tank was filled with water to stretch the plastic liner into the corners and crevices of the tank and stapled on the outside of the tank walls. A marine grade fitting was then installed for the drain.

A top was made with plastic covering the bottom side of the marine ply. Marine grade fittings were installed for the fill and vent lines and a marine access plate was let in for cleaning or servicing. The top was then screwed onto the tank using liberal amounts of liquid nails adhesive at the joint.

The liner sticking out from the joint was trimmed flush and the whole assembly was painted with a good quality marine paint -- several coats. It is still just fine, fully functional and looks like in another 20 years would still be the same.

I have never had to clean, tighten, service or do any maintenance on this and would do it again. I don't see why it wouldn't work for any type of water tank. Boats use often use this type of construction for fuel tanks, except they fiberglass the outside instead of using a bladder on the inside. The fuel pickles the plywood so there is no deterioration.

Just thought I'd pass this on as a idea for getting wierd shaped water tanks at a reasonable cost.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #58

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Loren, the bladder-in-a-box idea sounds like a creative and effective solution to the need for a custom tank. It seems that the same box construction, using a fiberglass surface finish like the boat fuel tanks but on the inside, would be another option for water tanks. Has anyone tried that?

Even though it hasn't been necessary with Loren's grey water tank, I like the idea of potentially being able to open the box up to change, replace, or add fittings as the trailer details change.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #59
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Myron, I ran out to the shop and took some closeup pics of the front window Rock Guard hardware to give you a better idea.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1093
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0001.JPG  
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #60
Con

British Columbia
A few more.

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1094
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0006.JPG  
Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #61
Con

British Columbia
And a couple more.

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1098
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0008.JPG  
Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #62
Con

British Columbia
For window Rock Guard:
The hanger clips and snap latch clips are held on with 10-24 SS Truss head bolts with white nylon washers to prevent leaks. The other clips are fastened to the cover with 3/16"alum. pop rivets. I had to put a slight bend in the latch hoops to set around the window gasket and the cover edging. Otherwise you can not do up the snaps. All the the clips had to be formed just right to get the cover to fit firmly against the window gasket.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #63

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Very nice. I also note the use of Trim-Lok around the rock guard - makes for a very clean look.

I had been thinking when I make my rock guard it would be of a large, thin plastic sheet from a dropped ceiling panel available at Home Depot and secured to a wood frame with enough cross mullions to stiffen it.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #64
Con

British Columbia
Myron, I would strongly recommend avoiding using wood framing. If you look in Home Depot they have a rack of various anodized alumnium shapes that would be much better.
I will give you some examples. On the Boler, when I dropped the water tank out the support platform was the fiberglass panel cut out from the rear window. It was framed with 2x2 wood which was rotten. Also when I separated the door skins there were only 5 horizontal wood strips in the door for support, just junk. Also we have a Featherlite all alumnium horse trailer that are now about $20,000 to buy new. I could not believe it when the wind caught the door and flung it back an ripped the door apart. The wood framing in the door was soaked and rotten. For an exspense trailer why would they use wood??
Rather than repair it myself (I had turned in my Argon tank so I couldn't weld alum. with my Mig) I took it to a alumnium fabrication shop and had them do it to the tune of about $380. That was one of the things that promted me to install a alum. frame in the Boler door. As it has turned out, the best decision I have made in a long time!
Your choice though my friend.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #65
Con

British Columbia
Well folks, we finally sold off 2 dozen llamas, our tractor, quad, trailers, lots of furniture and our log house on 20 acres. We have bought a house in 10 year old subdivision 1 minutes off a golf coarse in Armstrong,B.C. We are taking our Boler with us and can store it in the off season in the 2 car garage. I have already spotted another Boler in the niebourhood so will have a chat with him. I think theremay be a FG RV group in the Okanagon.
We should be in by the end of May. Hopefully I will then have more time to contribute to the web site and tinker some more on our EGG and maybe get to some of the FG RV meets.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #66
Con

British Columbia
SEAM TAPE (Boler)
I ran across this on another site. Might be worth following up.

* Seam tape for sale:
The roll contains 150' and will do 4 trailers. It?s exactly like the original. Cost is $55 includes taxes and shipping and you can sell the remainder of the roll to other Bolerites.
Wolf Shedler
RR1 Lyndhurst Ont. K0E-1N0
613-659-4695
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #67
Con

British Columbia
Added more pics to Webshots re: Awning rail
Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #68
Con

British Columbia
Justification for screened vents!

I was working near the Boler when I noticed a wasp crawling out of the furnace vent grill.
A quick shot of Wasp Spray fixed that. I pulled the screen off and they had almost blocked the vent off with their nest. Have attached a few photos of my fix.

Name:	Boler_92.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	4620

Removed the whole vent tube, cleaned it up, painted and added a new flange
gasket.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #69
Con

British Columbia
Cleaned and painted the grill, added a stainless steel screen, re-attached whole assembly with 3M double sticky Arcylic foam tape between the grill and screen and SS bolts. This eliminated the leaky pop rivets and screws that were cracking the fiberglass.

Name:	Boler_93.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	4621
Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #70
Con

British Columbia
Another angle of fix.