Boler reno help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A few months back I bought a worn out Boler. At the time I posted a note asking for ideas about saving it as original or customizing it. As time went on and I threw away everything rotten or not working, I've come to realize that it's a huge job not for the faint of heart. So far I've learned a lot about fibreglass repair, trailer frames,wheel bearings,wiring, refridgeration and propane fittings. I've had some fun and some hard times.
Once again I need some forum help from members who have converted the interior of these little gems. The interior is completey empty and I'm going to replace the seating area with a queen size futon sofa/bed. I have looked at buying a sofa but there is nothing on the market that fits.
Has anyone done this or does anyone have plans? I'd like to build a sofa frame from 2 pieces of plywood (using a piano hinge?) and have it fold out into a comfortable queensize bed. I don't know whether to use a slide mechanizm or to put the base on a track of some sort. The hardest part is to have it upright as a comportable couch. If I use the original seating suports I'd like to be able to have access to the storage area underneath the seating. Do any of you have experiance at this?
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
A few months back I bought a worn out Boler. At the time I posted a note asking for ideas about saving it as original or customizing it. As time went on and I threw away everything rotten or not working, I've come to realize that it's a huge job not for the faint of heart. So far I've learned a lot about fibreglass repair, trailer frames,wheel bearings,wiring, refridgeration and propane fittings. I've had some fun and some hard times.
Once again I need some forum help from members who have converted the interior of these little gems. The interior is completey empty and I'm going to replace the seating area with a queen size futon sofa/bed. I have looked at buying a sofa but there is nothing on the market that fits.
Has anyone done this or does anyone have plans? I'd like to build a sofa frame from 2 pieces of plywood (using a piano hinge?) and have it fold out into a comfortable queensize bed. I don't know whether to use a slide mechanizm or to put the base on a track of some sort. The hardest part is to have it upright as a comportable couch. If I use the original seating suports I'd like to be able to have access to the storage area underneath the seating. Do any of you have experiance at this?

I have NO experience in this and really nothing to offer you for advice but I have to tell you something... Ideas like this are EXACTLY why I will NEVER get my projects finished!!!Just when I am happy and satisfied with all I have accomplished someone comes along with a post like this and then I can't rest until I do it too!!!!!!! Thanks alot!!!!!!! Seriously though- please keep us posted with how this comes out and some pics too. I realy do like the idea if it is how I have it pictured in my mind!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I'd like to build a sofa frame from 2 pieces of plywood (using a piano hinge?) and have it fold out into a comfortable queensize bed. I don't know whether to use a slide mechanizm or to put the base on a track of some sort.

[b]The hardest part is to have it upright as a comportable couch. If I use the original seating suports I'd like to be able to have access to the storage area underneath the seating.
I think the hardest part would be to match the curve across the back of the trailer in the folding or sliding part.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I think the hardest part would be to match the curve across the back of the trailer in the folding or sliding part.
Actually, when you think about it, that's exactly what is done on the front bunk. The only difference is that it would be attached at the bottom (middle of the bed) rather than the top.

I would think it could be done like those that use a gaucho style bed (Bigfoot 17). I have looked at this very closely and believe that it is very doable.

To prevent the back curve from interferring or being a total waste of space when it was in the sofa position, a permanent shelf could be there. It would serve as a support when up, but would be a shelf used as a "night stand" for radio, clocks, etc, when it is down as a bed.

I see a lot of possibilities here.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I I had a completely empty Boler I would consider different floor plans. Possibly a front kitchen with a goucho set up on the far side. The standard closet with a cabinet going towards the back. Or I really liked the one that had a U shaped sitting area in the back.

Gotta love a blank slate.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Someone posted a Scamp or Boler re-done in the image of an Airstream, with the bed at the back. A great looking job. I have used the search function but can't find it again. I'd like to be able to bookmark it for myself also. Does anyone else remember that one?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Someone posted a Scamp or Boler re-done in the image of an Airstream, with the bed at the back. A great looking job. I have used the search function but can't find it again. I'd like to be able to bookmark it for myself also. Does anyone else remember that one?
I finally got back to check my posts on this subject. It sound like I have a good idea but so far haven't got a plan of attack. Anyone????
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi Randy: Several thoughts occur to me about using a futon in your Boler. Your pull-out distance would be limited to the space between the rear and the wheel wells on the inside unless you raise the back so the bed would be positioned over the wells when open.

Also by just using a purchased futon, you would eliminate storage space normally found in built in boxes below the eating area that makes into a bed. Also, you would loose eating space without going to a folding side table or portable tray set up.

What about a semi-futon set up? Build a box across the back and put a gaucho frame on top holding a futon mattress. The boxes could be made to access from the front or sides rather than the top, allowing storage space (which is always needed) and giving you the quick fold out that a futon allows.

One thing for sure, the great people on this site will be glad to offer "how to" advice whatever you decide.
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Just a suggestion -- go to your public library and check out some books on yacht interior design. Those guys really have it together!

I also like the idea of a front kitchen -- just seems like a good layout. However there are other things involved in designing a lightweight workable camping trailer.

Because it will likely be towed with a lightweight tow vehicle, stability has to be considered. The most stable situation would be to place the most weighty items low and near the trailer axle. Kitchens can be heavy with appliances, food, water. Perhaps that is why they are usually found near the axle.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Perhaps 15 years ago I was in the process of repairing a leaky polyethylene water tank in the front of a '70 26ft Avion. Since I had to remove the sofa/double bed unit to get at the tank, while both were out I tried a futon in the space.

It really didn't work out all that well. The main reason was there was no room for the tank underneath. Also the arms were too large, the slope of the seat and back made it almost impossible to set up a table for eating, etc.

I ended up repairing both the tank and the original sofa/bed unit and it served us well for 10 years of family vacations and business trips.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I don`t think that it would be practical to put a 60x80" bed in trailer which I`m assuming is a 13' Boler and not a 17'....by removing the interior cabinetry, does it not affect the walls of the trailer as the factory wall support structure,( i.e. the closet on one side and the counter and ceiling support iron bars on the other), is removed....isn`t the consensus on this forum that if this is done, the trailer shape will sag out at the walls? also when the bed is in sleep mode the balance of useable space area is very limited in a trailer that`s 78x122" at it`s widest points inside......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #12

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	414288799bdcYXJ_ph_1_.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	3852
Our Surfside has a bed in the back that's a full DOUBLE but could convert / extend to a QUEEN or (believe it or not) a KING. Underneath it has a u-shaped seating / storage area that takes up the whole back. Our floorplan came that way - and includes a kitchen in the front and a closet / bathroom across from the entrance. It's a 14-footer (amazing what that extra foot will do). If you want to see more pix, email me. We'll also be at the Oregon gathering if you want to snag a peek. I think our configuration is AWESOME, but then we don't travel with a passle of kids (no bunks) and our dining room is "al fresco" (unless it's raining, which means it's "el ristorante," baby).

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Surfside TM14
Oh, Miriam, that's what I want to do- must have more pictures!
Selka K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selka K View Post
Oh, Miriam, that's what I want to do- must have more pictures!
Oh Marian.. come back! Last Activity: 02-15-2012 09:05 PM
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I agree that the hardest part of a sliding futon style would be the curved base and back needed.

I am completely changing the interior floor plan of my Boler. Larger kitchen and true double size (54") bed. A warning that it is a tremendous amount of work, if you have removed the closet and kitchen support to the upper cupboards you will need to build some manner of wall and roof supports as structural members.

Here is an diagram of my floor plan, the build is well underway with the plan to take it for its maiden voyage in early June.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #16

I'm sure the layout is more functional for you. But, I have to ask... are there any internal supports from floor to ceiling? These molded trailers are like a balloon and require support, usually at the door and across from the door.. as in a floor to ceiling cabinet. Without supporting the roof eventually the sides start to bulge out and the door becomes illfitting. And then...
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm sure the layout is more functional for you. But, I have to ask... are there any internal supports from floor to ceiling? These molded trailers are like a balloon and require support, usually at the door and across from the door.. as in a floor to ceiling cabinet. Without supporting the roof eventually the sides start to bulge out and the door becomes illfitting. And then...
Hi Donna, if this is referencing my post yes there are 4 wall to ceiling supports in my design. One on each side of the door and one one each side mid-cabin. The design of my supports are a curved lamination so they hug the walls only sticking out 1 1/2" they follow the wall and into the ceiling area the same distance as the factory supports. They are epoxy bonded directly to the fiberglass shell their entire length which makes them considerably stronger than the factory supports and there are no stress points at the pop rivets where cracking often occures.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #18

Cool beans Ian!!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
My 1971 Boler restoration featured a galley in front and a 54" bed in back...
Attached Thumbnails
GalleyEntry.jpg   Bed4.jpg  

Bench.jpg   RearCabin.jpg  

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler