It took the better part of the day, but the shelves are installed!
I used metal brackets from Home Depot, the shallow type, 1/2 inch long and 1/8 diameter rivets. The metal brackets hole was just under 1/8, I enlarged it with the drill to make the rivet fit. Getting the 4 metal brackets square was no easy task (I had to enlist the help of a friend Scamp
owner), but we got it hung. Then on to measuring the shelves.
I had some leftover 3/4 plywood, so I cut that into 4 pieces, 15 x 19. We'll, it didn't take long to discover that the closet tapers to the top so each board is slighly smaller as you go up. Fun. I rounded the corners to wedge the shelves in on the supports. Angled corners do not work well here. There was a lot of sanding and recutting and re-measuring to get everything to fit without moving around. I wanted the shelves to be tight and not move forward or back in transit.
To further secure the shelves, I cut little pieces of double-sided tape and adhered to some of the shelf supports (helped level them too) to keep the shelf in place. Lastly, I re-purposed cushy shelf liner, cut to size, and placed that on each shelf. Interestingly, the shelf liner will make a fine template for future shelves. Wish I would have thought of that first!
Already, one of the rivets holding the metal bracket broke.I think the washer was too thick. So we'll re-do that one, and see if the others break. In the meantime, I am happy to have an organized and useful closet!
I've pasted a couple pictures in case anyone is interested in my "technique." Enjoy!