boler Side window - Restoring (need List of Seals and where to order) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Question boler Side window - Restoring (need List of Seals and where to order)

Looking to remove the side windows on our 1981 Canadian Boler over the winter so i can replace all the seals and make them like new again.

does anyone have a list of all the seals needed, the lengths and where to get them?

was hoping to just get the parts ordered without removing the window and taking it apart then searching high and low for the seals and rubbers needed to renew them.

if someone can help i'd really appreciate it. i really want to just get the parts ordered then take the windows out over a weekend and re install them so i don't have to have the windows out for to long over the winter.

thanks for your time,

Joel
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #2

Sarnia, Ontario
not a single person on here has every replaced the seals in their windows? i find that pretty hard to believe?

if anyone has an idea of all the seals needed and where to get them i'd really appreciate if they could help?

thanks,

Joel
Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Joey, I restored my 1976 Scamp windows and have the info here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-39977.html It may not be the same windows, but you should get an idea of companys to look up.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #4

Registry
Joel, got the wrong link and name. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-41003.html
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not sure what kid of windows you have , but this is a pretty good reference. Google Stanpro to find dealers.

http://www.stanpro.com/windowchannels.aspx#available
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

Sarnia, Ontario
thanks Dan, appreciate that. i'll have to go threw all the seals i need. want to do these windows over the winter so the rest of the job isnt so overwelming when i go to get the trailer ready for the season. picked up a nice 81 boler this fall. it needs work. but its in such good shape. got a real deal on it.

do you have an idea how much you spent on each window to get them resealed? i'm curious how much? just a rough idea is fine.

thanks for the link also Thomas, i'll go threw these links in a few days and hopefully it will help out locating what/where i need.

thanks again to both of you.

joel
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Sarnia, Ontario
Does anyone know where to get the seals for the back window in a newer boler that is openable with the plexiglass windows? that window has a seal/channel the window slides in. has a fury texture to it if i remember right. anyone know where to get this type of thing? i've never seen anyone on here replace or reseal that window. maybe because most bolers have back windows like the front that don't open

thanks,

joel
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joel, it sounds like glass run channel with flocking. See if this page helps: Weatherstrip-Trims - Automotive and Marine Glass Run Channels Weatherstripping Trim
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #9

Sarnia, Ontario
wow Donna, thats the stuff
that makes me really happy. now i can fix that window too. previous owner siliconed the back window solid because all the seals and channel were bad/worn.

really appreciate that.

Joel
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

Sarnia, Ontario
Donna,

do you know where to get that black strip that goes around the outside edge of the side windows on boler/scamp trailers? it covers the rivets/screw caps. i havent seen a place with that material for sale.

thanks again,

joel
Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #11

I think what you want is a glaze bead, see this page starting half-way down and near the bottom: Interstate RV Metal & Supply
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #12

Sarnia, Ontario
Donna, thanks for that link.

but this is what i'm after:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/gallery/.../6/6/8/081.jpg

see the black stuff around the window frame there? it covers the rivets/bolts that secure to the shell.

its like a |___| shape when you look at it from the end. like U channel i guess and it snapes onto the frame over those bolts/rivets.

i've seen ppl that have redone bolers and they never seem to have this replaced. its just missing on most redone bolers i see out there.

thanks again,

joel
Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #13

Sorry Joel, I can't be certain since I don't own a Boler or windows like that. Had better leave it to those that do. I do see two or three items that MAY work on the Interstate page, but like I said.... I do know several members have called Interstate and arranged to mail a small slice of rubber pieces that Interstate was able to match. If you don't get any further information, perhaps you'd like to try that.

Once you get this figured out, please post where you find the product and may be a product number. That would be helpful for those looking in the future.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Joel, I rebuilt my back window with the stuff Donna posted but from a different site. It worked great and hasn't leaked since. I don't remember what size I ordered it was so many years ago.

Does your rear window have a screen? If so how does it attach and work? My "window" was just a frame with broken slivers of plexi around the edge.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this thread - you can try and PM the first poster - looks like he had to deal with the same windows and seal issues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff View Post
thanks Dan, appreciate that. i'll have to go threw all the seals i need. want to do these windows over the winter so the rest of the job isnt so overwelming when i go to get the trailer ready for the season. picked up a nice 81 boler this fall. it needs work. but its in such good shape. got a real deal on it.

do you have an idea how much you spent on each window to get them resealed? i'm curious how much? just a rough idea is fine.

thanks for the link also Thomas, i'll go threw these links in a few days and hopefully it will help out locating what/where i need.

thanks again to both of you.

joel
Joel, recovering from a hernia operation so reply took awhile. It took me a day to clean and polish each piece of the frame. It was a mucky mess and took me longer than I thought, but I just did it in front of the TV and didn't mind it when I started to see how nice it was turning out. It's a good idea to get this out of the way.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #17

Sarnia, Ontario
Liz,

I'm not sure about the screen. I'm sure it has a screen, at least thought it had a screen till you asked me?

I just ran out and checked and it has an aluminum frame on the passenger/door side of the trailer, it also has a little black plastic clip to keep it secured on the outter part of the frame of the window.

I'm glad it has a screen because we like having lots of windows open all the time. thats what I dislike about the bolers. they have less windows that open vs. the trillium. I wish the front window opened too but it doesnt. i've seen a few bolers that do. not sure where they got those windows of if it was an option or what? back window on this boler here is kinda shady, the way it works. don't like the plexi in it, its just a bad design to me. with a bow/bend in the middle of the frame and the plexi has to bend around it to open. wish it had windows like the trilliums/side boler windows. those are the best windows ever. they are so good in the rail and you get so much ventalation. its great.

but anyways,

ttyl

Joel Brown
Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #18

Sarnia, Ontario
Hi Dan, sorry to here about the hernia, bummer.

do you know how the windows came new? was the aluminium shitty? or more dull?

i ask because i'm not sure if i wanna go and buff the heck outta them and make them shiny. not sure if i like that look personally?

wondiner if there is something that will make them not look so Dull but make them look newer? is there such a product? again i really don't like the shiny look I don't think. I don't think my windows are pitted or anything but they are deff. dull.

anyways thanks for post. if you have an idea on something to make them look better but not a mirror let me know. actually what did you use exactly to do yours?

thanks for your time, and good luck recouping.

Joel
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #19

Registry
I used a couple of different sizes of steel wool to do the initial sanding and then used "Gord's" Aluminum polish, then assembled. I don't know if Gord's is anything special, but seemed to work. I didn't put a clear coat on the aluminum, so I think it will slowly oxidize out unless I want to polish it yearly. I don't know what it looked like originally.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #20

Sarnia, Ontario
hi carol, i msged that person there like you suggested and he replied back with the location of that one seal he was having a hard time with.

really appreciate that.

Joel

Tags
boler