I have been working on the interior the last couple of days. In the fall
I stripped all of the carpeting off of the walls. I was surprised at how easily it let go of the glue as well as how little of the carpeting was attached to the walls. The carpet had to go - it was stained, smelled musty and housed a mouse nest too. Besides, the Boss said she would like a different colour!
Getting the dried glue off of the shell interior was frustrating to say the least. I started with a wire wheel on my angle grinder in the early spring (March). I rolled the trailer shell out into the driveway and went at it. This took a lot longer than I planned. I learned a few things along the way.
1 - when its cold out (5* or less) the glue stays hard and the wire wheel worked great, but when it got warm all the glue did was move around!
2 - the little wires really hurt when they fly off the grinder and impale your arms.
3 - Don't do this in short sleeves even when the spring weather gives you a 20* day, enough fiberglass came off with the glue that my arms itched for days.
4- a really sharp chisel (2") will take the glue off faster than a wire wheel and its a lot quieter.
While I had the carpet out I removed the dinette benches and the kitchen, redid all of the 12 volt wiring and rewired the trailer lights too.
I was lucky enough to get an end of a roll to replace what had come out. I kept the original pieces and traced them onto the back of the new headliner carpet.
Some people suggested 3M spray adhesive, while others recommended contact cement to reinstall the carpet. I din't want to use spray cans so I bought a gallon of contact cement at Home Depot. It didn't work. I opted to brush the glue onto the back of the carpet and once I put it up the first piece I realized that the glue had bled through in many different places. I was so disappointed.
I ran into a previous student at the local Home Hardware the next day and he suggested I try outdoor carpet glue (He installs carpet for a living now). It worked fantastic and I am pretty sure it is what was originally used. I replaced the stained piece and I think the new headliner looks great
Honestly, replacing the ceiling was the hardest. I finally clamped the carpet through the ceiling vent and glued it in sections while it hung down. The biggest challenge was the 6ft ceiling height since I am 6"4" - A fair bit of contortions to work overhead while stooping! A couple of people advised against this but I am glad I persevered.