Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #41

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Here is the finished Belly Band. It is raining like crazy today so had to take the pic in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6487b.jpg  
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #42

Ontario
Registry
Here is the decal I made for our Boler. We thought this phrase from the National Anthem really reflected our view of our amazing country. The little maple leafs are the same ones from the cabinetry.
I picked the font and sent the text off to a friend who has a vinyl sign cutter, I cut the leaves by hand. I hope it gets some attention during our travels!
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6489b.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #43

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Great work love how it turned out.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #44

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks wonderful, love all your little unique flourishes. The belly band sounded like a great find!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #45

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Dang, that red looks nice.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #46

Ontario
Registry
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #47

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
there's a flaw though....

such a gorgeous piece of work deserves a WAY bigger back bumper....like a "don't even think of running into this beauty" bumper...real nice, one of a kind, backsplash and I love the maple leafs on the drawers....it's a "show" Boler now
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #48

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Two years of following this site almost every day and LOTS of time spent in the archives and I don't know if I have ever seen a nicer renovation job. Again really, really, well done Jay.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #49

Ontario
Registry
That is a very nice compliment, thank you Rick. I too have spent a lot of time on the website reading many different posts and I think there are a lot of amazing trailer renos and remodels on here. I drew inspiration from a lot of different people and their beautiful work. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #50

Ontario
Registry
Well folks,
Thought I might update the reno story. After months of hard work and lots of time spent in the garage we finally headed out in the little red boler. We drove from our home in southern Ontario out to the Rocky Mountains and back again. The trip was amazing! Our Boler was fantastic. We loved it.
We spent 52 days on the road and spent every night sleeping in our Boler (all 5 of us)! WE were off grid 49 of the 52 nights and my little coleman 2.5 watt solar panel topped up the cheapo (TSC) deep cycle whenever we weren't towing.
The Trailer was a conversation starter almost everywhere we went and along the way we met lots of great people in other Bolers or trilliums and scamps too.
When I sort through the tons of pictures I took, I will post a couple of the trailer as we made our way west.
Jay
Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #51

Ontario
Registry
Road Trip

Just a few pics of my little red Boler rambling across the Canadian Prairies.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_7155.JPG   _MG_7207 - Copy.JPG  

_MG_7260 - Copy.JPG   _MG_7234.JPG  

Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #52

Ontario
Registry
All those who wander... I have always said that you have to get off of the paved roads to really experience all that there is to see, but I think I honestly covered more gravel roads in Saskatchewan than I have ever driven!
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_7343 - Copy.JPG  
Old 12-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #53

Ontario
Registry
I usually don't like to post my photography online but here is my favourite shot from this past summer. We spent the night camped out at Red Rock Coulee in southern Alberta. We arrived just before sunset and I was able to make a few nice photos. We had pan fried salmon and rice and a glass of wine as we sat and watched the light fade from the day.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0277b - Copy (2).jpg  
Old 12-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
How did I miss this build? Great work Jay
Looking forward to seeing your boler in person some day.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #55

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
A truly Cherry Camper, reno job, well done and great photo! May you have many more enjoyable memories with her! Impressive.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #56

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Jay, what a beauty!!! your hard work has really paid off.

I noticed earlier in the thread that you were skeptical of the authenticity of the VIN plate. Notice that the plate lists the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) not the weight of the trailer itself. My bet is that it is original. The date looks hand stamped because it is - probably done on a Friday afternoon after payday lunch (accompanied by a couple of brews)!
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #57

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
WE were off grid 49 of the 52 nights and my little coleman 2.5 watt solar panel topped up the cheapo (TSC) deep cycle whenever we weren't towing.
Glad to see you are getting to enjoy it! I am very curious as to how much power you are using off your batteries and/or inverter that allows you to keep it topped off with only the 2.5 watt panel...

1) Are all your lights LED?
2) How much on average day/night were they used?
3) Did you run a water pump and if so how much?
4) What else did you run off the battery? Inverter, DC refrigerator, cell phone chargers, tv, etc.
5) What battery, solar charger, converter and inverter do you have?
6) What gauge cables are you using from the battery to the converter and/or inverter?
7) How long did the 2.5 panel take to top off the batteries?
8) Is your tow used in charging the battery also?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #58

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Glad to see you are getting to enjoy it! I am very curious as to how much power you are using off your batteries and/or inverter that allows you to keep it topped off with only the 2.5 watt panel...

1) Are all your lights LED?
2) How much on average day/night were they used?
3) Did you run a water pump and if so how much?
4) What else did you run off the battery? Inverter, DC refrigerator, cell phone chargers, tv, etc.
5) What battery, solar charger, converter and inverter do you have?
6) What gauge cables are you using from the battery to the converter and/or inverter?
7) How long did the 2.5 panel take to top off the batteries?
8) Is your tow used in charging the battery also?
Hey Johnny, nice to hear from you again!
Yes, all my lights are LED inside and out (I spent close to $400 on lights). I picked up under cabinet lights for the dinette area, the front couch/bunk and the kitchenette. They are 12V blocks with 20 or 30 leds. I also installed touch activated lights for each of the two bunks as reading lights for my kids at bedtime. The outside door light is a standard fixture with an LED "bulb" in it.
My wife and I are very simple in our needs. We do not have cell phones (Can you imagine!) and we did not have any accessories inside the Boler that required electricity. In fact I am planning on removing the sink completely and replacing it with a large cutting board style counter top. We have not used on-board water once on our travels. Our purpose for having the Boler is to get away from it all so we do not have a television (We do have tablets that we charge in the van while driving).
The converter in the Boler is the original ( I posted a couple of questions and photos in one of my other threads since I found a problem with my wiring I think) and I actually didn't use it. I ran the fridge on LP and the odd time I had to take a site with hydro (electrical) I had an extension cord and a power bar that worked too. I plan to fix the converter in the spring.
The little Coleman 2.5 watt solar panel is actually a trickle charger that I bought for the dash of my pick up truck originally.
This was my first time out with a solar system and I wasn't relying on it and I didn't know if I needed one either. We drove over 10,000 km this summer towing the Boler so you can imagine there was lots of opportunity for the TV to charge the battery. The longest we stayed in one site was 5 days in British Columbia. I only charged with the solar panel during this stay (it rained every day too). While I do not have a voltage meter and I never checked the battery the only thing we used during those 5 days were the lights in the early mornings and evenings and I never noticed a dimming or loss of power from the lights. It was summer and the sun did not set until 10 pm so we didn't have lights on for much more than an hour or two max and obviously we had lots of daylight hours to charge.
As for the guage of wire, I'll have to check the workshop so I don't quote the wrong size - pretty sure I used 14.
I hope this answers some of your questions. I know that we are fairly minimalist in our needs so this set up might not work for many others but it was everything we wanted.
Jay
Old 12-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #59

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
'splains it

sounds like the only power you are using is a few LED lights (no pump, no stereo, no tv)...that's nuttin'....a couple of six volt lantern batteries wired in series would probably power those lights, given your usage, for most of the summer!...you could loose a lot of weight by just leaving the big battery at home

a 40W solar panel can put out, in perfect conditions, roughly 3 Amps...
how much power do you think your 2.5W solar panel is producing?
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Jay,
yeah it sounds like you are using about the absolute minimum for power usage. Ours will be somewhat more. Our usage will be lights and water pump, maybe a cell phone or tablet charge here and there, and possible a 19" tv depending on the draw. I plan on having a solar panel too by spring, probably the 45 watt from HF unless something more affordable comes along. I have some new incandescent lights but I am holding off on buying led bulbs until the original bulbs burn out & the price comes down on the leds a little. I may splurge and go for (2) 6 volt golf cart batteries if I can find a good deal. The plan is to be able to camp on a budget without electric and water and if the site has it great we will use it...I have found some electric & water sites for under $15/night $7 in the off season...right now I am working on our bed, making it permanent taking the dinette out, and also rebuilding the twin bunks too, the 1x2s were not cutting it so I am going with 2x4s frame & getting rid of the fiberglass fixtures all together...next will be making custom upper cabinets
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp