Boler Voyageur 1300 Reno - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #57

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
WE were off grid 49 of the 52 nights and my little coleman 2.5 watt solar panel topped up the cheapo (TSC) deep cycle whenever we weren't towing.
Glad to see you are getting to enjoy it! I am very curious as to how much power you are using off your batteries and/or inverter that allows you to keep it topped off with only the 2.5 watt panel...

1) Are all your lights LED?
2) How much on average day/night were they used?
3) Did you run a water pump and if so how much?
4) What else did you run off the battery? Inverter, DC refrigerator, cell phone chargers, tv, etc.
5) What battery, solar charger, converter and inverter do you have?
6) What gauge cables are you using from the battery to the converter and/or inverter?
7) How long did the 2.5 panel take to top off the batteries?
8) Is your tow used in charging the battery also?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #58

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Glad to see you are getting to enjoy it! I am very curious as to how much power you are using off your batteries and/or inverter that allows you to keep it topped off with only the 2.5 watt panel...

1) Are all your lights LED?
2) How much on average day/night were they used?
3) Did you run a water pump and if so how much?
4) What else did you run off the battery? Inverter, DC refrigerator, cell phone chargers, tv, etc.
5) What battery, solar charger, converter and inverter do you have?
6) What gauge cables are you using from the battery to the converter and/or inverter?
7) How long did the 2.5 panel take to top off the batteries?
8) Is your tow used in charging the battery also?
Hey Johnny, nice to hear from you again!
Yes, all my lights are LED inside and out (I spent close to $400 on lights). I picked up under cabinet lights for the dinette area, the front couch/bunk and the kitchenette. They are 12V blocks with 20 or 30 leds. I also installed touch activated lights for each of the two bunks as reading lights for my kids at bedtime. The outside door light is a standard fixture with an LED "bulb" in it.
My wife and I are very simple in our needs. We do not have cell phones (Can you imagine!) and we did not have any accessories inside the Boler that required electricity. In fact I am planning on removing the sink completely and replacing it with a large cutting board style counter top. We have not used on-board water once on our travels. Our purpose for having the Boler is to get away from it all so we do not have a television (We do have tablets that we charge in the van while driving).
The converter in the Boler is the original ( I posted a couple of questions and photos in one of my other threads since I found a problem with my wiring I think) and I actually didn't use it. I ran the fridge on LP and the odd time I had to take a site with hydro (electrical) I had an extension cord and a power bar that worked too. I plan to fix the converter in the spring.
The little Coleman 2.5 watt solar panel is actually a trickle charger that I bought for the dash of my pick up truck originally.
This was my first time out with a solar system and I wasn't relying on it and I didn't know if I needed one either. We drove over 10,000 km this summer towing the Boler so you can imagine there was lots of opportunity for the TV to charge the battery. The longest we stayed in one site was 5 days in British Columbia. I only charged with the solar panel during this stay (it rained every day too). While I do not have a voltage meter and I never checked the battery the only thing we used during those 5 days were the lights in the early mornings and evenings and I never noticed a dimming or loss of power from the lights. It was summer and the sun did not set until 10 pm so we didn't have lights on for much more than an hour or two max and obviously we had lots of daylight hours to charge.
As for the guage of wire, I'll have to check the workshop so I don't quote the wrong size - pretty sure I used 14.
I hope this answers some of your questions. I know that we are fairly minimalist in our needs so this set up might not work for many others but it was everything we wanted.
Jay

Old 12-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #59

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
'splains it

sounds like the only power you are using is a few LED lights (no pump, no stereo, no tv)...that's nuttin'....a couple of six volt lantern batteries wired in series would probably power those lights, given your usage, for most of the summer!...you could loose a lot of weight by just leaving the big battery at home

a 40W solar panel can put out, in perfect conditions, roughly 3 Amps...
how much power do you think your 2.5W solar panel is producing?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Jay,
yeah it sounds like you are using about the absolute minimum for power usage. Ours will be somewhat more. Our usage will be lights and water pump, maybe a cell phone or tablet charge here and there, and possible a 19" tv depending on the draw. I plan on having a solar panel too by spring, probably the 45 watt from HF unless something more affordable comes along. I have some new incandescent lights but I am holding off on buying led bulbs until the original bulbs burn out & the price comes down on the leds a little. I may splurge and go for (2) 6 volt golf cart batteries if I can find a good deal. The plan is to be able to camp on a budget without electric and water and if the site has it great we will use it...I have found some electric & water sites for under $15/night $7 in the off season...right now I am working on our bed, making it permanent taking the dinette out, and also rebuilding the twin bunks too, the 1x2s were not cutting it so I am going with 2x4s frame & getting rid of the fiberglass fixtures all together...next will be making custom upper cabinets
Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #61

Ontario
You are right, like I said we are minimalists. We could have charged the ipods and tablets and digital camera while camping but my minivan was driven almost everyday so I just used it to top up the devices.
I did check the voltage on the little panel last spring but I can't remember what it read - it was low number though!
When I bought the battery, I wasn't sure what we would need or use so I set it up as a base platform that I could add to if I needed to. I seriously thought about the 40W solar panel but I thought it might be overkill. Canadian Tire had them on half price last month and I thought about it again... Just because I don't need it doesn't mean I don't always want it!
As for the bed Johnny, we kept our dinette set up as a bed all summer, never sat at the table once. I put a piece of cedar under the cushions at the opening (where the table and benches leave a gap) so that I wouldn't feel like I was falling out of bed every night.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #62

Ontario
According to some research the little battery maintainer that I used has a max Output of 133mAmps @ 15 Volts.
It has a diode built in for overcharge protection (ha ha) and it can be wired directly to the battery. it came with a little pull apart plug and I just had that hanging out of the battery box.
Sure it didn't do much but as Franswa pointed out, I didn't use much power either (and yes Franswa I could have used AA batteries, in fact I also bought the same solar panel for my kids treehouse lights which are powered by 3 AA batteries).
Jay
Old 01-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #63

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Great build, turned out beautifully
Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #64

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1452788403.926913.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	91734
Anything further as to the date of your Boler? Here's a shot of our '84 showing the larger door window that I have seen in all the later 84s through to Pauls 88 that he had prior to obtaining his square Boler. The smaller window like yours was used in the 82-3 series. Any chance that someone used the wrong number punch?
Whatever, I love its uniqueness and wouldn't change it for the world.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #65

Ontario
I don't think I ever noticed the larger window before, that is a pretty interesting twist. That would suggest mine is an older model... I will admit I kind of relaxed a bit on my search for answers.
I don't know if anyone else can tell from serial numbers but mine is 2M9B130021 (with the 21 in my owners manual circled in pencil). According to my owners manual and the plate on the body as well as the story passed down from owner to owner is that the trailer was sold as new in July 1992 from Carlson Sports in NorthBay Ontario.
On the back page of my manual (The Owner's Reference Log) the original owner wrote the following:
Model name: 1991 Boler TRLR
Model Year: (suspiciously blank)
Serial Number 2M9B130021
Date of Purchase: July 1992
Dealership Name: Carlson Sports

The date is a curious part of the story of our Boler but we love it whatever year it was manufactured!
Thanks for the nice comments Jim.
Jay
Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #66

Ontario
thanks for the compliments Chris.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #67

Ontario
Drawer Slides

My redesigned and enlarged kitchen drawer fell apart last summer shortly after we left home and by the end of our road trip it was almost useless. I made the mistake of buying cheap simple drawer slides (the white ones in the pictures). I din't take into consideration how much their design relies on gravity for them to work. After a day of driving on bouncy roads the little guide wheel would pop out of the track and the fibreglass wall would flex and then my drawer was hanging askew. In a short period of time the slides were broken and the drawer was nearly impossible to use...
I tried some temporary fixes while on the road but nothing really solved the issue.
But now I THINK I have a solution. I bought more substantial sliders as you can see in the pictures. Last weekend I also built a box for the drawer to slide into and that box will be fastened into the cabinet under the stove. It is a whole lot beefier and it is a lot heavier but I am confident that it will solve my problem.
Glad the weather is a little warmer, I can finally enjoy working in the garage again. I'll post more pics as the project continues. If anyone else has used these sliders / guides I would appreciate any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0859.jpg   IMG_0858.jpg  

IMG_0861.jpg   IMG_0862.jpg  

Old 04-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #68

Ontario
No progress on the drawer this weekend. I am getting tired of this cold weather. last weekend I was working in a tshirt and today I was in my parka and toque and mitts. Maybe I should think about heating my garage! Hopefully it warms up soon, I have lot I want to do.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #69

Name: Philippe
Trailer: Boler Voyageur 1977
Quebec
I've replaced the slide from the cheap white one to soft closing ones.
They only had self closing at the hardware store. The advantage of the self closing is they don't open by themselves while travelling.

Now you've mentionned making a bigger drawer, I'm tempted to do the same!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #70

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
sounds like . . .

Johnny's Cadillac

Tags
boler, boler reno, boler trailer, interior, little red trailer, red boler, remodel, restorations, scamp