Bose soundlink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Bose soundlink

I bought one of the widgets. It is a tiny little bluetooth driven audio amp. For what it is, the sound is incredible. It absolutely fills a Scamp 16 with sound - loud and clean if desired. I put all of my mp3 music on my 10" android tablet, created a 'best of' playlist and just let it rip.

Interestingly, even playing fairly loud the sound from outside is barely noticeable.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good to "hear" John. Nothing better than good tunes while camping IMHO
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Before buying any electronics, camera, etc. I check The Wirecutter which gathers reviews and does it's own hands on evaluation.

I quote:
The $200 Bose SoundLink Mini is perhaps the most interesting competitor owing to its great sound in a smaller package, but it fits a bit of a strange niche that we think limits its real world appeal. Its $200 price tag pits it squarely against the UE Boom, our pick for best rugged speaker, which is water resistant, puts out 360 degree sound, charges via micro USB, has double the battery life, and clear-sounding speakerphone capabilities. Now if you’re willing to do away with all those features, and put up with a chunky, proprietary charging dock, then by all means get the Bose, which other reviewers agree has a slight edge in sound quality owing to its deeper, warmer bass (GadgetMac has the most detailed review that pits the Bose head-to-head with the Boom). At the end of the day though, if you want the best sound possible, you should get a bigger speaker. And if you want something that’s also portable, you’re going to want the extra features of the Boom (which is no slouch in sound quality).

I'll be sticking with my Altec-Lansing dock, but only because I'm retired and don't need more stuff.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I know a few people with those bluetooth Bose speakers, and they do put out good. They are also a really nice size to pack too. If I was looking for something along that line, I would not hesitate on that Bose unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I was given a Bose Sound dock for my MP3 player that pops out the tunes far greater than what my little trailer really needs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

Apparently, I would have to buy a Bluetooth adapter for my iPod Classic to use either the Bose or the UE Boom. No idea what the adapter costs.
Need to check your devices to see if they support Bluetooth.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Glenn you can pick them up for about $25/30 I like my classic due to the larger storage cap it has. Which is why I have stuck to using the dock but the blue tooth option has been getting my attention of late.

Heres one on EBay - Bluetooth Adapter for Ipod classic
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
There is an auxiliary input so you can have a wired connection as well
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Well, I might put the UE Boom on my Xmas/birthday list ( sometimes it pays to have a birthday so close to Xmas ).
I have the Altec-Lansing inmotion im500 dock, which is really compact. It gets that way by using six AAA batteries or the AC power cord. On a pension, I can't afford to feed it batteries so I bought rechargeable ( so now I've got another $60 invested in it ).

Maybe I'll just save the planet and use what I have...
Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Big Sounds

I find that the sound system in my truck along with my iPod connected into that sound system provide all the music I desire while traveling. Once in camp my preference is the sounds of nature. That's always been part of why I camp, I can listen to all the noise, ahh music, I desire between camp spots and while in town.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #11

Which reminds me. Where is my iPod Classic? I know where the dock is because I put the new rechargeable batteries in it.
We pretty much listen to CBC radio or Radio Classics on the Sirius satellite radio.
I know where that is. And I know the TV and DVD player are, in a box under the bed, at the back.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The only issue I have with the Bose is it is only good for music. Other models offer the same plus you can answer the phone if using your iPhone as your music source and the phone rings.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

Registry
Actually Jim, if you are using bluetooth from your phone with any bluetooth receiver it plays whatever sound that comes from your phone. Notifications, ringtones, and the like all cut into the music. Most of the time I wish they wouldn't, as it interrupts the song. At least this is what I have experienced with them.

Some evenings I turn the phone reception and notifications off, as I never want to deal with them until morning anyway.

What I actually use when outside of the trailer now, is a small bluetooth receiver connected to a Milwaukee jobsite radio. Having control over the 8,000 songs on my phone is great. Often we pass the phone around the campfire for others to pick what they want to play next, plus it is easy to skip a song without getting up if you wish. I use this receiver in the trailer too, hooked to the stereo in there. On a cold night playing cards, it is great to have the phone sitting right beside me to select songs.

Still, nothing beats a couple guitars, with some drums and harmonicas thrown in the mix, for playing music around the campfire anyway. To heck with all these high tech gizmos.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
I called Bose and that is what they told me, no speakerphone nor notification capability. I do not understand why not.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #15

Registry
Bose does not have speakerphone capabilities. You still need to do everything through your phone, but the sound will come from the speaker. I get the ringtone and here the person talking trough whatever bluetooth receiver my phone is connected to.

Could this just be the way my Galaxy S4 works?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
so if your phone is inside the trailer with the speaker outside, it will stop playing music and you can hear it ring thru the Bose?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #17

Registry
The Bluetooth signal would not likely work through the trailer walls, but if it did the music would stop and the ringtone would sound, exactly as it would if you were using the phone speaker to listen to your music.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #18

If you go to the reviews on Thewirecutter.com you will see that one reason they preferred the UE Boom because it does facilitate speakerphone and notifications.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #19

Alabama
I have the Asus tf300T and the Bose Soundlink. I placed the tf300 flat on the counter over the refri, then took the Soundlink for a walk. First i simply walked around the Scamp, a full circle. I never lost sound. I then stood in front of the door and walked about 40 paces until i was stopped by the wall of the church, then back to the scamp. I then stood at the bumper and walked about 60 paces to the edge of the parking lot, then back. At the edge of the parking lot signal dropped momentarily, but recovered. Back at the scamp, i walked from the driver wall about 40 paces to the edge of the parking lot, no signal drop. I then walked diagonally across the front of the scamp up and towards the road about 100 paces, at which point the signal just dropped in and out. I walked behind the church to force a disconnect, and when i came back out i had signal but no music.

Back at the scamp, the player on the pad was paused which it does whenever it loses the headphone or bluetooth. I pressed play and it started playing through the Soundlink.

It appears that between my two specific units the bluetooth is quite robust.

All my music is on my Asus pad, i do not connect my phone.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #20

Alabama
This weekend I went to the NC rally at Cherokee. On the way back, after dropping my kids off with their mom, I moved the soundlink up front. In the past I wore these rather large Sony headphones connected to the pad. It works but is a pain.

So I turned on the Soundlink and started the music, turning it up pretty darned loud, and boogied the rest of the way home. Really awesome sound, it sounds like an installed sound system.