Bought a better towing vehicle... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
We debated whether or not to attempt towing our Scamp with our little 4 cylinder Saturn wagons. I told hubby- well, even if we COULD tow it okay with them- certainly we couldn't both tow AND run the A/C while driving.... I NEED the A/C in the car, doggone it!

So, since one of our wagons was close to 300,000 miles anyway........ we went and picked out a nice 2002 VUE. It even has a hitch on it already. Wooo hooooo.

Our Scamp is almost ready........ now, if our children could just stop scheduling family parties and things that we are expected to attend on the weekends... we'll be off to explore our State Parks SOON.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Deb, Congratulations on the new tow vehicle! we will be at Savanna Portage State park the last weekend of July. If you happen to be in the area, stop by.
Don't forget the fiberglass camp weekend in September at Lanesboro. Please join us fellow fiberglass owners for a fun weekend.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
We debated whether or not to attempt towing our Scamp with our little 4 cylinder Saturn wagons. I told hubby- well, even if we COULD tow it okay with them- certainly we couldn't both tow AND run the A/C while driving.... I NEED the A/C in the car, doggone it!

So, since one of our wagons was close to 300,000 miles anyway........ we went and picked out a nice 2002 VUE. It even has a hitch on it already. Wooo hooooo.

Our Scamp is almost ready........ now, if our children could just stop scheduling family parties and things that we are expected to attend on the weekends... we'll be off to explore our State Parks SOON.
Deb,

I could have written your post! We took our 13' Scamp out last summer with our little 4 cyl. suv on a couple of very short trips. No way I would have attempted heading over the mountains or even a steep hill! So we just got a 2002 Toyota Highlander to pull it. I'm so happy and so excited to go camping but it seems every weekend is packed until mid-June! Argh!

Tracy
Tracy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Good luck with your Saturn ("Tennessee's SUV!") But check for recalls-- I recall reading about a mandatory fix after some rear suspension failures. I can tell you that four-cylinder engines can tow quite well if they're the right engine. Mine is big (2.5 liters) and torquey (166 lbs-ft.), but it's in a Subaru.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote