Breaking news - Scamp moving to 8-ply D-rated tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Breaking news - Scamp moving to 8-ply D-rated tires

Just FYI -

Just before the President's Day weekend, we picked up a new Scamp16 trailer in Backus. On the way home, I was surprised to find that there was 65lbs of pressure in our tires. Since I had believed that the pressure was supposed to be 50lbs, I called our Scamp salesman to let him know what I had found.

I was told that Scamp had just started using 8-ply load range D tires instead of the earlier 6-ply tires. The tire sidewall now actually states a maximum pressure of 68lbs.

IIRC, this will be a welcome change to some folks.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What brand and size tires did they put on your trailer Ray? That would be helpful information to know for older Scamp owners.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

Missouri
Globaltrax st 175/80r13
Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations on the new Scamp 16, Ray!!!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #5

Missouri
Thanks! ☺
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I haven't had to deal with 13" tires, but I wonder if some company is now making them more available, and that's why Scamp switched? I know even with my slightly larger tires, it was really hard to find anything over a C rating. I would think it'd be even harder in a 13" tire.

I went with a C rating, since it does technically meet my weight, though only barely, and there just weren't good options for anything stronger.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
New 13" Scamp tires

I love it when Scamp improves!
I am wondering why Scamp uses 13" tires/wheels?
I understand that 14"or even 15" are used by some other manufacturers with claimed benefit. Is it a weight issue or cost issue? Hopefully it is a strategic choice and the best one.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 16 Ft layout 6
Wisconsin
I put on Kendra ST17580D13 last year before our 10000 mi trip to Alaska. Side wall state 65 psi and a 65 MPH max speed. The tires worked good a 65 PSI no less or they start to wear on the edges. Although it was difficult to find a gas station in Canada unless in a big city that would go to 65 PSI. My trailer is a 2011 16 FT Scamp loaded at around 2900 lbs.
Jim in De Pere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in De Pere View Post
I put on Kendra ST17580D13 last year before our 1000 mi trip to Alaska. Side wall state 65 psi and a 65 MPH max speed. The tires worked good a 65 PSI no lees or they start to wear on the edges. Although it was difficult to find a gas station in Canada unless in a big city that would go to 65 PSI. My trailer is a 2001 16 FT Scamp loaded at around 2900 lbs.
You said, "Although it was difficult to find a gas station in Canada unless in a big city that would go to 65 PSI."

Duh...air pressure is in KPA in Canada (kilopascals). It's where the rest of the world lives.
420 KPA = 60PSI
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Heavier tires are more expensive to purchase but cheaper over time as they last so much longer and are less likely to fail.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in De Pere View Post
I put on Kendra ST17580D13 last year before our 1000 mi trip to Alaska. Side wall state 65 psi and a 65 MPH max speed. The tires worked good a 65 PSI no lees or they start to wear on the edges. Although it was difficult to find a gas station in Canada unless in a big city that would go to 65 PSI. My trailer is a 2001 16 FT Scamp loaded at around 2900 lbs.
I have run into the same issue in Wisconsin. Many of our local gas stations have gotten rid of their large air compressors and the small compressors they replaced them with only supply 50 PSI.
Whether you measure air pressure in PSI or KPA doesn't matter if you need 65 PSI and only 50 PSI is available .
I've found that truck stops do offer air at the necessary pressure plus I carry a 12 VDC air compressor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
.. plus I carry a 12 VDC air compressor.
That should be standard equipment in every vehicle. After all, if the pressure drops (as it will with the temps), how are you going to get a place to add air without driving on the under inflated tires?

In fact, most of them are so cheaply made, it almost pays to carry a primary and a backup inflator.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #13

Name: Steven
Trailer: Scamp 13 on order
Ontario
Or a manual bike pump - most go to 160psi (with a little sweat...).
Steve McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Pressure vs Load

Just because the tire has a higher load capacity, with a higher max pressure, you don't need more air pressure. I have posted this topic many times.
Find the LOAD/PRESSURE chart for your tire.
Weigh the actual load on the tires. adjust the air pressure accordingly.
Our 16 ft DLX Scamp ran very nicely with 35-40 psi in the 13" tires.

The higher load capacity gives you more margin, so you're less likely to overload the tires.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #15

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yes.

The work trucks I drove a couple summers ago all had D rated tires, and Les Schwab would always fill them to 60 or so psi when we'd get a tire repaired (often), or get new tires. I could have just told them to inflate them less...but I'd always have to let a bunch of air out before I could drive on them. No more than 50, and often closer to 40 or just under was better. Otherwise the ride would be really rough, and once we hit the dirt roads, we'd be "floating" all over the place on those over-inflated tires.

When you're talking about a small trailer tire, loaded to very near its capacity, which is common with load range C tires, then yes, filling it to the maximum is typically the way to go. Once you step these fairly light trailers up to a D, you don't need (or want) to max out that pressure anymore.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #16

Wisconsin
You are correct but the places I stopped at both values on the gauge, which is nice for people who can't make the conversion quickly. Although we always can look it up on google.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While on the subject of tires, a properly rated and inflated tire being best, I have found a new tire from Carlisle.
I have a Scamp13D for which a "C" rated tire inflated to 50 PSI is best, both in my opinion and that of the tire manufacturer.
I bought Carlisle's new Radial Trail HD ST175/80R13.
I have just finished a 3000 mile trip with them and found them to be air pressure stable like other Carlisles which I have owned.
The most remarkable thing however is the new tread design and compound. For the first time in my experience I have a trailer tire which actually contributes to the handling of the TV/trailer combination in a significant way.

http://www.discounttire.com/en/buy-t...ail-hd/p/27234
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #18

Wisconsin
Thank you for the tire lead. I will try them this summer ans I need to replace the Kendrs due to short tread life.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not going to argue with what you're saying because I've always wondered this myself. Max pressure max load. But what if you DONT have max load? My question to you is Wayne, how do you know how much pressure to run at your trailer's weight which you didnt list here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Just because the tire has a higher load capacity, with a higher max pressure, you don't need more air pressure. I have posted this topic many times.
Find the LOAD/PRESSURE chart for your tire.
Weigh the actual load on the tires. adjust the air pressure accordingly.
Our 16 ft DLX Scamp ran very nicely with 35-40 psi in the 13" tires.

The higher load capacity gives you more margin, so you're less likely to overload the tires.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I've used the manual bike pump on a car tire before. We were using my father-in-laws car for a while and it had a slow leak with a few of the tires and I found it simplier to use the bike pump than to haul out the air compressor and put it back all the time. I didn't find it that bad when I was just topping up a tire.

(It took a couple of tries to get rid of the leak with the aluminum wheels)
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, tires, vin